Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: The first time you had someone of a different race in your class at school

Default The first time you had someone of a different race in your class at school

What did you feel at that point ?

How finding out about their families and culture was something so new and interesting to you ?

It was around 1990, Standard 1 I remember them telling us that the school is going to be multiracial as a lot of people voted yes the year before, it was odd at first. I still remember a girl offering me some of her chips and me thinking is it okay etc...
    Do you hear the voices, too?

Bulgarian, smoked a joint after school

Grandmaster

We had a one white girl in school in 2000 for the first time. Must've been very strange for her. Things move slower at the coast
    I came. I saw. I concurred.

https://twitter.com/bitsyzd

i had annie wong.. from taiwan.. sat next to me in 1995 only...couldn't speak a word of English!
    first thing i taught her were english swear words lol!

1994 first black kid in our school... but at that time I was too young to even realise apartheid existed so was basically normal as I used to play with black kids soccer in the road...

I remember it happening in 1992(Gr5/std3). We had one black kid before then and it was because her father was a diplomat.

For years after that it was less than a few black kids per grade, those poor kids, I bet it was pretty hard.
    By the time I was in Matric more than half our standard was black/non white and that years grade 8 class only had one white kid.... so with the tables turned we and an appreciation for what it was like.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Nope, was born and raised in Transkei, been around black folk since kindergarten.

At present my daughter is the only white kid in her school...

Quote Originally Posted by Omnia_Fan View Post
    What did you feel at that point ?

How finding out about their families and culture was something so new and interesting to you ?
    It was my first day of pre-school and I didnt care . . . and I still dont.

Back in those days busing was the hot topic for all the parents but as a kid I was blissfully unaware of it.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

Since schools have become multiracial there seem to be more non-white kids in previously white schools. My question is this. Where'd all the white kids go?

Grandmaster

Perth?
    I came. I saw. I concurred.

https://twitter.com/bitsyzd

Quote Originally Posted by Magandroid View Post
    Since schools have become multiracial there seem to be more non-white kids in previously white schools. My question is this. Where'd all the white kids go?
    Well, whites are not having kids..
    If we were made from dirt, why is there still dirt?

This was not a funny for me.
    In about 1983 I met a black guy that I became good friends with. We used to meet after school at the Hilton Quarry to smoke a joint and just chill. We had to keep our friendship secret because of the current state of SA.
    Having non whites at school was a non issue.