Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

View Poll Results: Which one are you going to use?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • DropBox

34 60.71%
  • SkyDrive

3 5.36%
  • Google Drive

15 26.79%
  • Box.Net

0 0%
  • iCloud

2 3.57%
  • Other (please specify in post)

2 3.57%
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Dropbox is still the one for me

Default Dropbox is still the one for me

With Google and Microsoft recently introducing their Cloud storage I had a look at what each one offered to me and how they fit my needs and came up with the following.

Google Drive
    5gb free storage is better than Dropbox's default free allocation of 2.5gb and they tick all the boxes when it comes to my various PCs but there's no app for the one place I need it the most and that the iPad. They say it's coming.

Microsoft SkyDrive
    7gb free storage but they upgraded me to 25gb for free so I scored big there. However while they have an iPad and OsX Lion app they dont support Windows XP or OsX Snow Leopard so it's only useful for half of the devices I want to use it on.

Box.net
    50gb free storage and you get a free iOS app but if you want to sync via a desktop then you gotta pay.

Dropbox
    DropBox offers a paltry 2.5gb of free storage but I've so far been able to upgrade that to over 6gb. They have free syncing apps for everything I need.

So, what's everyone else's pick of the litter? I omitted iCloud in my list because it's just too darn clunky for me and isnt cross platform.
    Last edited by bwana; 25-04-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll stick with Dropbox for now - will give Google Drive a chance to sort themselves out first for a month or two.

But I'm happy with Dropbox so far, never any serious issues etc.
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Super Grandmaster

Definitely Dropbox atm. Polished iOS apps and functionality. Drive will obviously evolve fairly quickly, will definitely keep an eye on it.

Blog Entries

Would be nice to add Linux to that comparison list. As well as feature comparisons.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Super Grandmaster

And whats this about GDrive that they own what you upload?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574...-google-drive/
    #Occupy TK
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    Sometimes, I just love your mind...
    T A N S T A A F L

Super Grandmaster DrJohnZoidberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Would be nice to add Linux to that comparison list. As well as feature comparisons.
    +1. Dropbox has an amazing Linux client, Google Drive doesn't have one.
    Praise Zeus!

I use dropbox and skydrive. Tools like Mesh can keep dropbox info synced to Skydrive without the Skydrive app being installed.

Can we have a combo box, or does that mean I'm an "other"?

Pretty happy with dropbox. I signed up for box but haven't even tried it yet. Dropbox functionality is fantastic and I've got a bit more than the default space now but I only really use it for important stuff so it's not a problem. Nowhere near even 2GB on there. If I was searching for somewhere to archive my entire photo collection I might choose something else, but I also might just pay for dropbox.

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    I'll leave that in the capable hands of someone else. I dont have a pc running linux or an android phone so I'm really not equipped to do it. I'm sure MyBB will tackle the subject better than I can.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

I have heard many people use SugerSync, not sure what the fuss is all about.... and you have the free 5gb store-it space on mweb :P

The terms and conditions of G Drive are a bit concerning.

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide licence to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes that we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content

Dropbox for me too...
    Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger

I'll definitely give Drive a try, but in the end I'll probably stick with Dropbox as well...
    "Knowing that you know nothing is knowing something as well."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by czc View Post
    And whats this about GDrive that they own what you upload?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574...-google-drive/
    Selective quoting TOS ftw!

Under the heading, Your Content in our Services in Google's terms of service, Google states, "You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours."

That means that Google can't use your content for commercial purposes without your consent. However, the TOS also states that, "you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones."

For content that is yours, Google can't re-use it for its own purposes. But it can use content you upload in order to serve you. This can include integrating services together (like reading your scanned pictures in order to OCR them), and it can include analyzing your files to target advertisements to you. Google already does this in GMail. Google doesn't currently serve ads in Google Docs (now called Google Drive), but it may, according to its license agreement, use data about the content you upload to target ads to you anywhere on the service.

Google may also give up your data in response to a legal demand, like a subpoena. If you want your cloud storage to be a little more out of touch, you might be interested in Wuala, which has no storage servers in the United States. Or you might just want to keep your data off the Internet.

That said ill stick to Dropbox for now purely because the need for a Linux client
    Last edited by Elimentals; 25-04-2012 at 10:49 AM.
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

Super Grandmaster

I'm sitting on 7.5 free storage with Dropbox... it works well for me in both Windows and Linux... so why should I move to anything else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast