Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Immobilizer or gearlock?

Super Grandmaster

All the reputable insurers require a immobilizer which is self activating and a gearlock isn't and hence most insurers will not consider it enough and insist on a level 3 or 4 immobilizer.

A gearlock will just be additional protection for your own peace of mind over and above the immobilizer.
    ALL POSTS ARE IN MY PERSONAL OPINION
    "Pray for Our President Zuma and his party, Julius Malema, and Zimbabwean Robert Mugabe... Psalm 109:8".

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    Most cars come standard with an immobilizer, hence I did not suggest it.
    I think you mean old cars come with an immobiliser.
    New cars have coded keys.

+1 on the gear lock and add a steering lock just incase.

Quote Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
    I think you mean old cars come with an immobiliser.
    New cars have coded keys.
    An immobiliser or immobilizer is an electronic device fitted to an automobile which prevents the engine from running unless the correct key (or other token) is present. This prevents the car from being "hot wired" after entry has been achieved.
    New cars also come with immobilisers, they are just deactivated automatically with the encoded key instead of a remote or other means

had an uno , gearlock + steering lock + alarm with immobilizer (after 3 counts it would cut the car if you dont press the button ?)

they got through it all and just took it, they spray dry ice on locks and it breaks like a marrie biscuit being stepped on.

try get a pedal lock ? or DYI killswitch . thats my next mission
    Don't let me come play de la rey in front of your house and do donuts !

Quote Originally Posted by R13... View Post
    I'd go with a gearlock, especially those that get fitted in the gear mechanism not the one you put on the stick. I don't trust aftermarket immobilizers.

what he said, i know somewhere in jhb there is a place that puts in these internal gear locks - it looks like some sort of pogo stick that goes underneath the gear stick cover etc. just look around im just trying to find that site i saw last night it had all the info on
    Don't let me come play de la rey in front of your house and do donuts !

Quote Originally Posted by Draconia2 View Post
    had an uno , gearlock + steering lock + alarm with immobilizer (after 3 counts it would cut the car if you dont press the button ?)

they got through it all and just took it, they spray dry ice on locks and it breaks like a marrie biscuit being stepped on.

try get a pedal lock ? or DYI killswitch . thats my next mission
    wtf, durban criminals iq 150+
    i am golden

Super Grandmaster

My biggest gripe with gear locks is the extra time needed taking one off. What's stopping a criminal intent on getting your car from rushing you while you're unlocking the gear lock?
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12