Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Apparently Bobby Skinstad sucks as a commentator..

Banned

Default Apparently Bobby Skinstad sucks as a commentator..

..according to a column in the Cape Times anyway.

Just heard an interview on 567 radio between John Mathem and the column writer and he literally went off on the Bobby and other "former player" commentator's. How they aren't qualified, are useless, etc.

His contention is that if Bob had been a professional, he wouldn't have used the "coconut' term.

Well first off, the coconut term was used correctly.
    Secondly, Bob is one of the better commentators, displaying a good command of the english language, eloquence and good knowledge of the game of rugby.

It seems like a case of professional jealousy to me. This guy needs to get a friggen clue. Sure not all former players are the best commentator's but Bob is not one of them; and from my experience some of the more questionable players-commentators have come into their own over time.

Fact is the public enjoy hearing from former players, and the ones that aren't cut out usually don't last long term anyway..

Super Grandmaster

Bobby = (thumbsup).
    I don't find anything wrong about him as a commentator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

He's doing better than Matfield and Brosnan.

In fact he is the best.

I think he is good. And so does a lot of people.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Klipdrif View Post
    I think he is good. And so does a lot of people.
    I think he sounds stoned half the time.
    I am 13531

"Balance is the key to everything, without it we would just keep falling over."

Well he sure as hell beats Aswill Willemse hands down. I cringe when he speaks english.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by InternetSwag View Post
    He's doing better than Matfield and Brosnan.

In fact he is the best.
    That's my point. He's one of the better commentators out there, ex-player or not..

Super Grandmaster

i think ex players bring another type on insight. it enhances the product. unless they cant speak engrish properly...

Ashwin Willemse please. And if you can find it in your perfect little mind to look past his pronunciation of Saaks etc. then you will see he actually makes a lot of sense.
    English is not his mother tongue.
    Do you have the same cringe feeling when they interview in English, other non-English sportsmen, e.g. Rafa ? or one of the European soccer players, coaches?
    Why are Saffers (and I bet it's Afrikaans speaking Saffers most of the time) so intolerant of imperfect English, when it's not that person's mother tongue?

I think Bobby is a great commentator
    BB9300 MTN BIS
    MUST READ BLOG

At least Bob doesn't *****foot around bad referee calls like the other wussie commentators, e.g. One trick pony Joel Strontsky (spelling intended and he doesn't slag our own players like Mr. Stront-sky
    Go Bobby! Go!

Quote Originally Posted by akescpt View Post
    i think ex players bring another type on insight. it enhances the product. unless they cant speak engrish properly...
    +1.

Although Victor's english is not the best it is also not the worste and I enjoy listening to former players as they KNOW what is going on and why some things happen and are done rather than guessing at it.
    [CENTER]Bebamos y divirtámonos que mañana moriremos.
    Melior morior bellator, quam ago profugus.
    Nemo saltat sobrius.

Super Grandmaster

Brosnan always sounds like he's on opium.

Quote Originally Posted by raind33r View Post
    Ashwin Willemse please. And if you can find it in your perfect little mind to look past his pronunciation of Saaks etc. then you will see he actually makes a lot of sense.
    English is not his mother tongue.
    Do you have the same cringe feeling when they interview in English, other non-English sportsmen, e.g. Rafa ? or one of the European soccer players, coaches?
    Why are Saffers (and I bet it's Afrikaans speaking Saffers most of the time) so intolerant of imperfect English, when it's not that person's mother tongue?
    The one night Ashwin and Toks were talking about rugby on one of their shows. One of them used the word physique. Then all of a sudden, the whole show, every second word they use, was physique. I almost started a drinking game on that. Was laughing the whole show. They used it in sentences, that no normal english speaking person would use it.... LMAO
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast