Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Ubuntu Precise Pangolin versus Ubuntu Lucid Lynx: what you can expect

Default Ubuntu Precise Pangolin versus Ubuntu Lucid Lynx: what you can expect

Ubuntu Precise Pangolin versus Ubuntu Lucid Lynx: what you can expect

The latest Ubuntu release, Precise Pangolin, goes head-to-head with the previous Long-Term Support version of the Linux-based operating system

Grandmaster

Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin is due to launch on 26 April 2012.
    hey thats tomorrow- good news I thought I had to wait until the 28th

Started using debian and stopped with ubuntu cause of unity

Quote Originally Posted by Prof.Merlin View Post
    Started using debian and stopped with ubuntu cause of unity
    Reason why I went to Debian - gave LTS a spin a few weeks ago and now I'm back on Ubuntu. Unity has really grown up.
    Character is how you treat those that can do nothing for you.

Unity is actually quite decent if you give it a chance - I stick to Unity 2D.. but it has definitely grown on me. I have a 10.04LTS box, an 11.10 box and a 12.04 beta box.. only highly irritating thing I find on 12.04 beta is that the systray does not have a 'whitelist' option, so if you run apps that have a systray icon only, they pretty much just 'disappear' seeing as though they are not in the task bar and now, not in the systray either.. havent found a work around yet.

Yup. As a Unity critic since 11.04, 12.04 is decent.

Grandmaster

I like unity, just wish I could position the taskbar at the bottom of the screen- I keep going to click on something like the back button in firefox and the taskbar pops up over it

While I don't hate Unity I love gnome 3 shell. Moving the mouse to a corner (or a shortcut key) to bring up an overview of what you are doing and easily switch has been seriously good for productivity. The big win though is how well it works with just the keyboard (imo better than win7 or unity).

Luckily it works 100% on 11.10 so I expect the same. No need to leave Ubuntu if you don't like Unity. I'll log into Unity a few times to check it out though - it's def been getting better. Once of the great things on Linux is that we have the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ave View Post
    I like unity, just wish I could position the taskbar at the bottom of the screen- I keep going to click on something like the back button in firefox and the taskbar pops up over it
    I don't like Unity, but will give this a try anyway. I had the same problem you have, but it's the same problem I've always had with disappearing taskbars ever since MS introduced it in Windows 98 I think.

A better way to do it is to leave the taskbar on the left due to the extra horizontal screen space on widescreen monitors,
    and prevent it from hiding so that you will not cause the taskbar to show up when your mouse is hovering near the top left.

Quote Originally Posted by ave View Post
    That would be cool, you can adjust the sensitivity though

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by lestoran View Post
    While I don't hate Unity I love gnome 3 shell. Moving the mouse to a corner (or a shortcut key) to bring up an overview of what you are doing and easily switch has been seriously good for productivity. The big win though is how well it works with just the keyboard (imo better than win7 or unity).

Luckily it works 100% on 11.10 so I expect the same. No need to leave Ubuntu if you don't like Unity. I'll log into Unity a few times to check it out though - it's def been getting better. Once of the great things on Linux is that we have the choice.
    I must try gnome shell again. I enjoyed it, but there were a few graphical issues with ATI cards, which are hopefully now sorted out. Oh and wine works better in gnome shell- I run photoshop and found in unity the menus are all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I don't like Unity, but will give this a try anyway. I had the same problem you have, but it's the same problem I've always had with disappearing taskbars ever since MS introduced it in Windows 98 I think.

A better way to do it is to leave the taskbar on the left due to the extra horizontal screen space on widescreen monitors,
    and prevent it from hiding so that you will not cause the taskbar to show up when your mouse is hovering near the top left.
    I must try that. But you know, thats what I like about gnome shell- you have to go to the top corner to activate it.