Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: BMW 325ti - 2nd Hand - High Mileage

Default BMW 325ti - 2nd Hand - High Mileage

Hi forumz,

I am really interested in getting this car from my friend who owns a dealership. He is so sold on the reliability of this engine that he is willing to include a 2 year warranty with it. The mileage is sitting at 155 000 kms.
    I think I am pretty sold with the warranty included.

My mom called me last night and was concerned over the high mileage.I bought my citi golf at 175 000 kms 5 years ago and have only done 30 000 kms. Of course I had some general issues but I am not a long distance driver.

I would just like some opinions on buying a second hand car then?

My budget is a 100k. I know I can get a fairly new car for that but I don't want a damn 1.4 or some slow sheet.
    I don't suffer with petrol because I do about 150 kms a week max.

I don't want to feel stupid or silly for making this purchase,but it seems everyone is against it

Advice please

You live once.

**** what everyone thinks. A car is a dead loss no matter how you look at it. With that warranty. I say balls to it and get your new shiney.

Question is, will you be able to afford the petrol

Super Grandmaster

That isn't high mileage for a BMW engine. As long as it's got full service history and given how little you drive you should have enough to save up for the next service in 5,000km. I'd check what is done at 160,000 could be expensive and a negotiation point on the price.
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

Quote Originally Posted by mike156 View Post
    Question is, will you be able to afford the petrol
    Bro,my CITI golf gets me like 9 or 10 kms per litre So I am used to being NAAIE'd petrol wise

Quote Originally Posted by Fudzy View Post
    That isn't high mileage for a BMW engine. As long as it's got full service history and given how little you drive you should have enough to save up for the next service in 5,000km. I'd check what is done at 160,000 could be expensive and a negotiation point on the price.
    I understand 2nd hand cars require services . SO when you say I must ask what is done at 160 000? What does that mean exactly.
    Yeah my friend is a being a CU*T.... I've been mates for over 10 years and I'm paying cash,he still doesn't wanna shave the price for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanbighead View Post
    You live once.

**** what everyone thinks. A car is a dead loss no matter how you look at it. With that warranty. I say balls to it and get your new shiney.
    Thanks man! That's the attitude I have at the moment. NO GF..no real responsibilities ... so It's time for a nice motor!

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Positively Negative View Post
    Bro,my CITI golf gets me like 9 or 10 kms per litre So I am used to being NAAIE'd petrol wise

I understand 2nd hand cars require services . SO when you say I must ask what is done at 160 000? What does that mean exactly.
    Yeah my friend is a being a CU*T.... I've been mates for over 10 years and I'm paying cash,he still doesn't wanna shave the price for me

Thanks man! That's the attitude I have at the moment. NO GF..no real responsibilities ... so It's time for a nice motor!
    Check the service book (usually kept with the manual in the glove box), it will tell you when it had it's last service and when the next is due, with BMW the computer notifies you that it needs to go for a service but from what I've seen it's roughly every 20,000km. Irrespective of whether it's a brand new car or second hand they should be serviced within the intervals suggested, if you are buying a car that doesn't have a service history you don't know how well the guy looked after the car.
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Why not use that 100k for a deposit on something new. Like a 1600Fiesta or maybe a focus, or a Honda Ballade?

Quote Originally Posted by Qwikslver View Post
    Why not use that 100k for a deposit on something new. Like a 1600Fiesta or maybe a focus, or a Honda Ballade?
    He wants a BMW
    I now have a signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Fudzy View Post
    Check the service book (usually kept with the manual in the glove box), it will tell you when it had it's last service and when the next is due, with BMW the computer notifies you that it needs to go for a service but from what I've seen it's roughly every 20,000km. Irrespective of whether it's a brand new car or second hand they should be serviced within the intervals suggested, if you are buying a car that doesn't have a service history you don't know how well the guy looked after the car.
    Ok thanks buddy...will do so when I see it this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Qwikslver View Post
    That's also another idea like my mom suggested, but I want a car that I like looking at and that goes nicely.I would have loved an S3 old spec but my friend doesn't recommend it. I also don't wanna settle on a car just because of the deal and mileage,I want to actually WANT the car. I don't really like the look of Ford besides the ST or the Focus. Fiesta's are all over the roads these days,the compact is quite rare.

Why a BMW? BMW's don't stand out from the crowd everyone has a BMW. I'd argue more people drive BMW's than Nissans in South Africa.

There's a reason for that I know, but mate why not buy a second hand Nissan 350z?

http://capetown-westerncape.gumtree....AdIdZ374467416
    http://capetown-westerncape.gumtree....AdIdZ366812146
    http://www.autotrader.co.za/stock-it...1987619/advert

Why not go for a 325Ci facelift instead. Much better looking in my opinion and better resale value than a 325ti. If you're patient you can pick them up for around 85k trade/95-110k retail if I'm not mistaken. Or maybe even a 330i.

http://www.autotrader.co.za/stock-it...cda36cb/advert

We have a 1994 740i with 500 000 km on the clock that still runs like it's just off the factory floor.
    BMW engines will outlive the owners if kept well maintained.
    Seeking...

Ask your buddy to let you test drive the car for a full day or weekend. You'll know if you want to spend the next 5 years driving that car.