Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 is now available

Quote Originally Posted by kingrob View Post
    What's up with the crap that you cannot login as root?

Geez, with Windows 7 I can login as administrator....seems like the Ubuntu devs think Linux users are stupid.
    Is that after you gave the root user a password? It is probably just a setting on the login manager that you need to change.
    Few people can see the genius in someone who has offended them.
    - Robertson Davies

Geez, with Windows 7 I can login as administrator....seems like the Ubuntu devs think Linux users are stupid.
    It's been like that forever with the variants of Ubuntu. You can't even use su. They want you to use sudo to protect the system.

If you really do want to login as root (I can't understand why you should want to), you can try this:
    http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/09/...error-message/

Just be aware that your OS is open to system level modification while you are root.

Grandmaster

Unlike windows, linux is built from the foundation up with security in mind. Be thankful for this. It's not that they dont trust the user, its that they dont trust the millions of people out there waiting to exploit you with hacks and malware

Seriously, if you're using Linux then you should have some terminal ability. Just "sudo su -" and you're all set to root yourself to death.
    Welcome to the Animal Farm!!!

I've messed up many linux installs as root, Ubuntu is doing it right, you can login as root though just a few more steps involved.

Quote Originally Posted by ave View Post
    Unlike windows, linux is built from the foundation up with security in mind. Be thankful for this. It's not that they dont trust the user, its that they dont trust the millions of people out there waiting to exploit you with hacks and malware
    I think they also did this to protect the nooblets from themselves as I've seen many a horror story due to a nooblet not fully grasping the impact of their action as a root user. Many people forget they are logged in as root and mistakes have been costly
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    I think they also did this to protect the nooblets from themselves as I've seen many a horror story due to a nooblet not fully grasping the impact of their action as a root user. Many people forget they are logged in as root and mistakes have been costly
    Recursive delete anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

Quote Originally Posted by froot View Post
    Recursive delete anyone?
    Or recursive chmod 777 from /
    Welcome to the Animal Farm!!!

You lot are a bunch of pansies!

You do exactly the same when you are logged in as Administrator on any Windows machine.

What is the big deal? You thinking server and not desktop?

You do exactly the same when you are logged in as Administrator on any Windows machine.

As far as I know, you cant delete System32 logged in as Administrator?

No, thinking virus.

Ugh, My couple hour investment turned into a two day track & trace re-install fest!

So, I was unecessarily harsh on thu Ubuntu gang. My fresh install of 12.04 lost me my sound, and the puter refused to shutdown
    properly. I hated Unity from the start, but I've got over that. Now I just don't particularly like it for a desktop.

Turns out, the sound problem is not Ubuntu specific, it's The Kernel. Sometime round the release of 3.0 upstream started to
    change the way they handle hardware detection. So my onboard sound card, which 10.04 picked up as VT1708/A Azalia HDAC
    turns into VT8237A/VT8251 HDAC. It's all using the same HDAC intel driver module snd_hda_intel, but now the modprobe fails
    on the PCI device and the driver is not loaded and set up. Something (I think) to do with with tho older Kernel which used to
    detect that my board is a Micro Star International (MSI) subset, and enable workarounds for some bug. Now the
    Kernel detects MSI but disables the workaround, causing problems detecting the sound card.
    I learnt more about sound in Linux than I really wanted to http://voices.canonical.com/david.he...ng-techniques/

The shutdown problem was solved by going into BIOS and enabling "Cool & Quiet" which apparently makes the acpi tables available
    to the Kernel. This is also a departure from the older Kernel workarounds.

So I have a couple of options, reinstall 10.04 for normal work, and setup other distros on spare partitions and fiddle about testing
    until (if) upstream provide Kernel patches, or:
    Get an external sound card, hopefully one that's supported.

I have in the last 48 hours tried a number of livecd's and installed several recent distros.
    One which I got pretty friendly with is Linux Mint Debian Edition, a semi rolling release based on Debian testing. Using Cinnamon DE.
    Main drawback is it's primitive installer, No Raid, LVM, or encrypted disk options.

Other stuff I tried out were Knoppix, ArchBang, Fedora 17 beta. I may try Sabayon, but in the last 2 days I may have become insane
    so will prolly revert to good ol Debian in the end.
    @BonkoHarem /join #TakeaGirlChildToWork

Quote Originally Posted by ozoned View Post
    Ugh, My couple hour investment turned into a two day track & trace re-install fest!

So, I was unecessarily harsh on thu Ubuntu gang. My fresh install of 12.04 lost me my sound, and the puter refused to shutdown
    properly. I hated Unity from the start, but I've got over that. Now I just don't particularly like it for a desktop.

Turns out, the sound problem is not Ubuntu specific, it's The Kernel. Sometime round the release of 3.0 upstream started to
    change the way they handle hardware detection. So my onboard sound card, which 10.04 picked up as VT1708/A Azalia HDAC
    turns into VT8237A/VT8251 HDAC. It's all using the same HDAC intel driver module snd_hda_intel, but now the modprobe fails
    on the PCI device and the driver is not loaded and set up. Something (I think) to do with with tho older Kernel which used to
    detect that my board is a Micro Star International (MSI) subset, and enable workarounds for some bug. Now the
    Kernel detects MSI but disables the workaround, causing problems detecting the sound card.
    I learnt more about sound in Linux than I really wanted to http://voices.canonical.com/david.he...ng-techniques/

The shutdown problem was solved by going into BIOS and enabling "Cool & Quiet" which apparently makes the acpi tables available
    to the Kernel. This is also a departure from the older Kernel workarounds.

So I have a couple of options, reinstall 10.04 for normal work, and setup other distros on spare partitions and fiddle about testing
    Get an external sound card, hopefully one that's supported.

I have in the last 48 hours tried a number of livecd's and installed several recent distros.
    One which I got pretty friendly with is Linux Mint Debian Edition, a semi rolling release based on Debian testing. Using Cinnamon DE.
    Main drawback is it's primitive installer, No Raid, LVM, or encrypted disk options.

Other stuff I tried out were Knoppix, ArchBang, Fedora 17 beta. I may try Sabayon, but in the last 2 days I may have become insane
    so will prolly revert to good ol Debian in the end.
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - it's the way you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ozoned View Post
    There is no "or" for me. I always run a new Linux release on a spare partition and when all is well, the older version becomes the spare partition. I only install LTS as I hate changing all the time - currently 10.04 and 10.04 server.

12.04 is great for servers, so far the best I have used in a long time. 10.04 LTS wasn't bad, but it had it's installation issues, even with 10.04.3. 12.04 at least for now install without any problems, especially when you need to do regular installs on all kinds of hardware and different configurations.

Can't speak for 12.04 desktop...
    Few people can see the genius in someone who has offended them.
    - Robertson Davies

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast