Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Pastel Evolution - negative stock?

Default Pastel Evolution - negative stock?

When making out invoices from saved sales orders we are getting the above error sometimes when a stock item has negative available stock even though negative stock is allowed on the stock item information tab, warehouse tab, and under warehouse settings. If invoicing directly (i.e. not from a saved sales order), we don't get the above error.

Any Pastel Evolution experts around?

The stored procedure "bWHAllowNegStock" could not be found in your installation. I'm not surprised that Pastel ****ed this one up either.

Phone support and have them fix it for you, should be easy/straight forward just adding the stored procedure to your DB. Otherwise, do a clean install of Pastel Evolution somewhere else and open up the SQL db with SQL Management Tools. Then look for that under Stored Procedures and "clone" it to your installation.

I don't have the disc yet - we still have to pay about 5% of the software and implementation fee.

There are a number of test databases in addition to our live one and couldn't find that stored procedure in any.

I sent the support an email requesting a copy of the store procedure and all they said was:

With reference to your query, we regret to let you know that we do not provide the stored procedure at support level.

I found that allow bWhAllowNegStock field under the database tables in the following 3 tables:

dbo.WhseMst
    dbo.WhseStk
    dbo.WhseStk_audit

Data type: bit.
    The first two above were set to not allow nulls (box unticked) and default value or binding was set to ((0)); the last one was ticked and didn't have a value, so I changed it to the same as the first.

And the problem still persists

Where else in the database can the problem be?

So far this is what we have on the problem:

- It only happens when invoicing from a saved order and there is negative available stock for one or more lines that are being invoiced;
    - It does not happen for every invoice that has a negative available stock;
    - It may come up on one invoice for a specific line item, and immediately thereafter won't come up for a different customer for the exact same line item.

Quote Originally Posted by AirWolf View Post
    So far this is what we have on the problem:

- It only happens when invoicing from a saved order and there is negative available stock for one or more lines that are being invoiced;
    - It does not happen for every invoice that has a negative available stock;
    - It may come up on one invoice for a specific line item, and immediately thereafter won't come up for a different customer for the exact same line item.
    I am not a great fan of allowing for a negative stock holding.
    Why do you have negative stock? What are you selling?
    How can you sell something that you do not have?
    In reality you must have stock on order to cover the sales not so?
    Can you not process a purchase order thus always having stock on hand?
    (Thus avoiding your problem?)

I really would like to know how you operate as this is the first time I know directly of a company that operates with negative stock.

I discovered how to process "fraudulent" transactions due to the fact that Pastel allows for negative stock.
    I know of one company that had a few million stolen from them due to the software allowing "negative stock", so needles to say I will not divulge said information. It is a very dangerous tool that can be misused by any person that can process Pastel GL transactions. These transactions are hidden and do not appear on accounts but do "adjust" the balance sheet numbers.

I informed Pastel of this but the negative stock allowance apparently precludes them from preventing the fraudulent transactions from being processed.

I will supply free of charge a test to verify "stock fraud" if interested.
    Tracking (any) fraud is a different story.

P.S Negative stock does “very interesting calculations” with the “cost of sales” numbers as working with negative numbers confuses the system. Time to check those numbers if you use them for your stock sales.

Production gets entered the day after manufacture, while some items are being invoiced for despatch on the day of manufacture, hence the system showing negative stock.

Quote Originally Posted by AirWolf View Post
    Production gets entered the day after manufacture, while some items are being invoiced for despatch on the day of manufacture, hence the system showing negative stock.
    It seems that you only start producing some (high value?) items on receipt of order?
    Thus raising sales invoice and selling and only then start producing?
    Thus you keep no surplus stock?
    High volume and value items?

More than 1 persons working on Pastel entering production and sales?

I think that pastel takes into account pending sales invoices not yet finalised thus decreasing stock available.
    There will have to be a logical explanation as to why it sometimes accept or reject orders.

I would copy the company to a second set of books and play around with sales productions product settings etc to find the reason. This type of investigations are my passion as systems are logical and if it only rejects negative stock sometimes there has to be a logical reason.

I presume Pastel could not assist you in this problem?
    I could play around if you like with my own system to see what comes up?

I will be out for most of the day and will check in later for your replies

Looking back, does it only happen on "saved" invoices?
    Thus rasing a brand new sales invoice do not encounter this problem but only saved invoices?

Not so much high value items - just that we have a range of our own as well as house-brand products, and we don't have the warehouse space to keep large volumes of each on hand especially the house brands as they can drop you for another supplier at any time.

Yes, the only common thing is that it happens on saved orders that are invoiced later on. With the exact same products, a new invoice (i.e. not opening a saved order) goes through for the exact same customer without a problem.
    Last edited by AirWolf; 04-05-2012 at 10:37 AM.

ok so theres the source of the problem.
    The recall procedure does not look at the neg stock file.
    Surley Pastel must be able to fix this pastel bug ?

I use pastel partner. I understamd that pastel evolution is the old accpac software which I have not used.
    But it is a software bug that they must fix for u.

If they dont help then join a pstel usergroup and air it there.
    Hope u come right.
    Let us know