Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: New Ipad hotspot

Default New Ipad hotspot

The new Ipad does have a hotspot function. Unfortunately it is carrier dependent. The hotspot function under settings only appears if the sim allows it ,which requires updated carrier software.

Any chance that Cell C will activate this function ?

I dont understand why its carrier dependant it makes no sense to me, its software so it should just use the pad's internet connection and share it. All of the android phones do it regardless of carrier. Otherwise jailbreak it and get it sorted like that.
    A computer programmer is someone who, when told to "Go to Hell", sees
    the "Go to", rather than the destination, as harmful."

Should be available, don't see why Cell C would restrict it.

See if there is a carrier update available. Go to Settings > General > About. If there is then do it, then reboot the ipad and enable the hotspot feature: Settings > General > Network > Personal Hotspot: On

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
    I dont understand why its carrier dependant it makes no sense to me, its software so it should just use the pad's internet connection and share it. All of the android phones do it regardless of carrier. Otherwise jailbreak it and get it sorted like that.
    It's carrier dependant because there are still some cellular providers overseas that offer unlimited iPhone/iPad (on device) packages.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    It's carrier dependant because there are still some cellular providers overseas that offer unlimited iPhone/iPad (on device) packages.
    This was even a problem on Vodacom when it launched:
    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...dacom-explains

Are Cell-C official carriers of the iPhone yet?

Maybe someone needs to make a custom carrier settings file for Cell-C that enabled the wi-fi hotspot feature.

Hi All

It does seem to be carrier dependent, did a few test.
    Don't hold me to this, will try find out.
    Wonder why though.

I tested with Vodacom and option is there.
    Any tried MTN ?

Regards
    ~AM~
    Last edited by Cell_C; 04-05-2012 at 06:31 PM.

I have spoken to the "geniuses" at the iStore where I bought my iPad and after being lied to twice in the same call, they finally admitted it was a carrier update that was required. They however refused to take any responsibility for taking it up with any of the local networks. In my view it is a design flaw from Apple's side.

They should make provision for carriers with restrictions by allowing the carrier settings to disable the hotspot. By default it should however be turned on.

Nothing on 8ta :-(
    Money and Sex, Bandwidth and Storage... Only too much is ever enough

Wait, @CellC, you've got it working on Vodacom? How? Mine doesn't...

Quote Originally Posted by gtway View Post
    Wait, @CellC, you've got it working on Vodacom? How? Mine doesn't...
    Mine is also not working on Vodacom nor 8ta (both running carrier version 12.1) But on a MTN sim card (carrier 12.0) it works...

I guess Vodacom and 8ta need to fix their carrier settings because both networks do support it...

PS: Don't phone 8ta about it.... They go eish and then tell you to go to Mugg-n-Bean if you want internet on your iPad

Hi All

We will start supporting Apple July - Aug 2012.
    Once we do we will support most apples options on network.

Regards
    ~AM~

Quote Originally Posted by Bertin View Post
    Mine is also not working on Vodacom nor 8ta (both running carrier version 12.1) But on a MTN sim card (carrier 12.0) it works...
    Is this your SIM that you use in your new iPad? My SIM carrier version is MTN 10.1 (new ipad, 32GB, Wi-fi & 3G). How do you update your SIM carrier version? Really p-d off that MTN has not yet enabled pHotspot. BTW, recently received my new iPad on an MTN data contract deal, and unable to use personal hotspot.
    Last edited by raynerb; 24-05-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: addition

Are there any reps from the cellular providers who can shed some light on this matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Duan View Post
    Are there any reps from the cellular providers who can shed some light on this matter?
    Nope, they're all pretty useless. I've talked to iStore techs, Apple techs, MTN techs, MTN Reps, MTN stores etc. Apple points a finger at MTN, and MTN points the finger back at Apple. MTN is supposed to enable this service on your SIM, or something on the APN, whatever. They don't have a clue.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast