Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Worth it?

Question Worth it?

So I have this laptop with me, problem is it's screen is broken and it needs a hard drive..

Product Page: http://www.nivo.co.za/buy~samsung.rv....silver~p22996

Screen broken, will cost R1400 to have replaced

Needs hard drive: R677+R76.41=R753.41
    http://www.nivo.co.za/#buy~western.d...200bevt.~p9956

Total: R2153.41
    Worth R3500 brand new

Is it worth fixing and selling again?
    I could use it for myself, I guess..

I think spending over 2K to repair a Celeron laptop with a replacement value of 3.5K is something you should consider very carefully.

Should you decide to repair it for resale you would have to sell it for more than the repair value just to recoup and then the price differential between the repaired laptop (+/- 2.1K) with no warranty vs a new laptop of similar value (+/-3.5K) with a warranty ........

I would just try an sell it for a couple of hundred rand and put that together with the anticipated repair costs towards a new laptop if you need a laptop.

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Not worth repairing imo, ITCynic is right on the ball.

Just use it for running downloads overnight or something. Windows remote connection works nicely so you don't need the screen anyway except for once off setup.

Harddrive...just use an external.
    Man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ITCynic View Post
    I think spending over 2K to repair a Celeron laptop with a replacement value of 3.5K is something you should consider very carefully.

Should you decide to repair it for resale you would have to sell it for more than the repair value just to recoup and then the price differential between the repaired laptop (+/- 2.1K) with no warranty vs a new laptop of similar value (+/-3.5K) with a warranty ........

I would just try an sell it for a couple of hundred rand and put that together with the anticipated repair costs towards a new laptop if you need a laptop.
    Very good point thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    Just use it for running downloads overnight or something. Windows remote connection works nicely so you don't need the screen anyway except for once off setup.

Harddrive...just use an external.
    Thanks I think I will do this, and I will just connect it to my screen.

Quote Originally Posted by NomNom View Post
    Thanks I think I will do this, and I will just connect it to my screen.
    Good for mission critical applications like firmware upgrade, don't need UPS.