Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jetta 1.4 TSI DSG

Default Jetta 1.4 TSI DSG

I've been looking for a C-segment car with an auto or semi-auto box. I've considered the Cerato 2.0 AT, Elantra 1.8 AT, Focus 2.0 PowerShift and Citroen C4 1.6T EGS6... but no... they are not quite good enough. Each one had a few things that put me off. I've never considered the Golf/Jetta 6, because the only DSG models available here (besides the GTI) were the very under powered 1.6 TDI Golf and Jetta. I see that the 90kW 1.4 TSI DSG models are now available in SA and the Jetta with a couple of extras sounds perfect for me.

My question... If you were in the market, would you go for a new VW (with full maintenance plan to 120 000km) or second hand C180/320i with low mileage and balance of a maintenance plan? Spec for spec they are very similar.

1.4 engine is not great for very long trips. Most car reviews I read put the Jetta as a "not the most exciting but safe bet" car. Great for family. Personally, out of that whole list the Focus 2.0 Powershift TDCi (with a 60L tank) is the one I would - probably will in the next couple of months - go for.

As for your question, I'd rather go with with the BMW or Merc and get an extended warranty etc if you are looking for class.
    Last edited by Hamster; 28-04-2012 at 10:36 PM.
    If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, don't make a yoga instructor your wife!

Blog Entries

320i a/t not good performance wise. Get focus diesel or chev cruze.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    1.4 engine is not great for very long trips. Most car reviews I read put the Jetta as a "not the most exciting but safe bet" car. Great for family. Personally, out of that whole list the Focus 2.0 Powershift TDCi (with a 60L tank) is the one I would - probably will in the next couple of months - go for.

As for your question, I'd rather go with with the BMW or Merc and get an extended warranty etc if you are looking for class.
    The diesel Focus is R25k more than the Jetta and the performance is not that much better. Also, I've had a bad experience with Ford... Vowed never to buy another one

I'm not looking for class, as such. Going to test a Merc and a BMW on Monday. Jetta only available in a weeks time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool E View Post
    I know the 320i is not great, but do you really believe a Cruze is better?

You buy a Cruz and I will NEVER reply on any of your posts again! This forum-friendship-thing will be OVER!!
    If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, don't make a yoga instructor your wife!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Theory View Post
    The diesel Focus is R25k more than the Jetta and the performance is not that much better. Also, I've had a bad experience with Ford... Vowed never to buy another one

I'm not looking for class, as such. Going to test a Merc and a BMW on Monday. Jetta only available in a weeks time.

I know the 320i is not great, but do you really believe a Cruze is better?
    Cruze top of the ranch model will be much cheaper than 320i

Super Grandmaster

The 320i is sluggish at low-revs.... but comparing it to a Chev is just insulting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    You buy a Cruz and I will NEVER reply on any of your posts again! This forum-friendship-thing will be OVER!!
    Not a chance...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by froot View Post
    The 320i is sluggish at low-revs.... but comparing it to a Chev is just insulting...
    Why?

Why?
    The Chevy is like 13s to a 100km/h... and you complain about the 320i. My i20 1.4 outruns a Cruze

Blog Entries

The Chevy is like 13s to a 100km/h... and you complain about the 320i. My i20 1.4 outruns a Cruze
    Your i20 will also outrun 320i a/t.

Your i20 will also outrun 320i a/t.
    It won't...

Super Grandmaster

It won't...
    Wonder if the 320i will outrun his taxi?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

Blog Entries

It won't...
    Do you want f30 320 or e90 ?

Can I ban someone from my thread? He can come back when he knows more about cars... Recommending a Daewoo, when we are talking about German cars...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast