Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Career Advise

Default Career Advise

Hi guys,

I am pesently a CMS Web Developer & looking at a career change. I would ideally like to work for a company like Vodacom, MTN, Major bank, any company where there are opportunities for growth. I have the following:

Qualifications
    1. Certificate in Project Management
    2. Certificate in Graphic Design
    3. Diploma In Web Page Design

Skills/Experience
    1. HTML
    2. CSS
    3. SQL
    4. Photoshop
    5. Illustrator
    6. Dreamweaver/Expression Web
    7. Project Management
    8. Pastel Accounting

Career Experience
    1. Forecourt Manager
    2. Admin Manager
    3. Back-office Support/Technician/Auditor using SQL
    4. Office Manager/Junior Graphic Designer
    5. Help desk administrator
    6. CMS Web Developer (current)

I intend studying further, however the field of study would depend on my next career move. What courses can I look at doing where I can transfer my knowledge & qualifications? Some advise I received was to look at doing a MCSD, Oracle SQL, Sharepoint.

I recently read an article on this site that stated some of the most sought after skills that Vodacom & MTN look for are:

1. Internet Solutions design
    2. Cloud Architects
    3. Digital & online Media experts

Based on these, are there any other courses I can perhaps look at?

I would appreciate any feedback.

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Step 1. Learn English as it is the language of business.

ad·vice /ədˈvīs/
    Noun:
    Guidance or recommendations concerning prudent future action, typically given by someone regarded as knowledgeable or authoritative.
    Information; news.
    Synonyms:
    counsel - notice - rede - tip - information

ad·vise /ədˈvīz/
    Verb:
    Offer suggestions about the best course of action to someone: "he advised caution".
    Recommend (something): "sleeping pills are not advised".
    Synonyms:
    recommend - counsel - inform - notify - consult

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Now that that's out the way. I work for a big corporate that's looking for php/drupal devs. PM me if you're in joburg and have the required skills.

What the ****.... why are designers calling themselves developers these days? I've see an increase in this trend in even the job advertisements seen on MyBB these days.

Just because you know a little bit of code doesn't make you a developer.

1) Graphics Designer
    2) Web Designer
    3) Developer (Programmer)
    4) Database Developer
    5) Server Administrator

(1) Usually gives design work to (2) and he then goes ahead and creates HTML/CSS and gives this to (3) who usually plugs away at code to make it work with what (4) gives him. (5) makes sure the server is running fine and can tell if there is a capacity issue or if (3) & (4) wrote inefficient code.

(1) & (2) is usually the same person (especially in South Africa) and (2) can sometimes do simple JavaScript code
    (3) & (4) is usually the same person (especially in South Africa) and can usually do (5)'s job as well.

There is no way in hell I'd let a graphics/web designer (who calls themselves a "developer") touch anything remotely associated with code or database stuff. I've had one of these "special people" bring down an entire ****ing server with their "special skills"

(and by "special" I mean RETARDED)

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by AcidRaZor View Post
    What the ****.... why are designers calling themselves developers these days? I've see an increase in this trend in even the job advertisements seen on MyBB these days.

1) Graphics Designer
    2) Web Designer
    4) Database Developer
    5) Server Administrator

(1) Usually gives design work to (2) and he then goes ahead and creates HTML/CSS and gives this to (3) who usually plugs away at code to make it work with what (4) gives him. (5) makes sure the server is running fine and can tell if there is a capacity issue or if (3) & (4) wrote inefficient code.

(1) & (2) is usually the same person (especially in South Africa) and (2) can sometimes do simple JavaScript code
    (3) & (4) is usually the same person (especially in South Africa) and can usually do (5)'s job as well.

There is no way in hell I'd let a graphics/web designer (who calls themselves a "developer") touch anything remotely associated with code or database stuff. I've had one of these "special people" bring down an entire ****ing server with their "special skills"

I also find that "intriguing", when "mooimaak mense" call themselves "regmaak mense". Ok, admittedly, I'm a crappy "mooimaak mense", but being good as a "regmaak mens", but there's no way I'd call myself a "designer".
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

Grandmaster

Don't try to follow the trends, you'll be playing catch up for life unless you're one of those few awesome people who are always ahead of it. Choose a path, get properly educated (read "degree" or "internationally recognized certification") and then stick with it. Over time your career will advance naturally, assuming you're good at what you do of course.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidRaZor View Post

1) Graphics Designer
    2) Web Designer
    4) Database Developer
    5) Server Administrator

Because there are a lot more job postings for 'developer' than 'designer'.
    change is inevitable... cognitiveradio.co.za

I would like to know what a Sales Engineer does.

You are the product of 4 billion years of evolution. Start acting like it.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by D3x View Post
    I would like to know what a Sales Engineer does.
    Probably some "diploma" where they call you an engineer afterwards. *spit*
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

If you qualify for BEE/AA then you shouldn't have a problem.
    If not, you'll find it hard to find work in large companies like you previously mentioned without a degree or large amounts of development experience (and by development experience I mean REAL developer experience. Eg. programming)

My 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by samadyakob View Post
    Hi guys,

I am pesently a CMS Web Developer & looking at a career change. I would ideally like to work for a company like Vodacom, MTN, Major bank, any company where there are opportunities for growth.
    Do you have any development experience at all or has it been design orientated?
    Are you looking for a developer/programming position or a similar design position at a new company?
    Do you have any experience WPF Styling/Expression Blend?
    If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, don't make a yoga instructor your wife!