Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: PS3 Slim Fan very Loud

Angry PS3 Slim Fan very Loud

Hey PPl,

I have recently swapped my XBOX Jasper for a 320GB slim PS3 .I wanted this for the Blu Ray and 3D capabilities.I have my 1TB connected and watched a DIV X movie after it being off for a while.The fan started spinning after half of the movie and continued to spin and quite loud.After the movie ended the PS3 was idle but the fan still ran and was still loud.

My XBOX was not this loud.I can understand if i was playing hours of gaming or watching Blu ray movies.

Is this normal?
    Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt and dance like no one is watching

The ps3 has 3 fan speeds that I noticed on mine. Standard when you start up and use as normal, faster when its gets hot and a very fast (noisy) stage. When playing games, I prefer to play for a shorter duration when it reaches the noisy stage.
    My cabinet is closed so I put 2 dvd covers below the ps3 on each side so that its slightly elevated in order for some air to pass below, don't know if it does really help but makes sense to me.

I have heard in another forum as well to elevate the console.So i guess this is normal and nothing to worry about ?
    Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt and dance like no one is watching

Be happy that its doing its job. If it stops moving then you have something to worry about.

You are the product of 4 billion years of evolution. Start acting like it.

Quote Originally Posted by D3x View Post
    Be happy that its doing its job. If it stops moving then you have something to worry about.
    Thanks.I respect that the fan is working however was just concerned that it doesnt sound normal.

I can't attest to the loudness of the slim PS3, but my old PHAT one does get loud if i use it a lot, and also dependant on ambient temperature. What i found made it louder is a flat rear surface (against the wall). I moved it away from the wall and it sounded a lot quieter.
    I was the inspiration for Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness.....

I have noticed that if your ps3 been refurbished then it can get very loud even when just watching a movie... :/

Super Grandmaster

It does get very loud when it's hot and it would not slow down immediately after use.

Quote Originally Posted by DR4G0N_M45T3R View Post
    I have noticed that if your ps3 been refurbished then it can get very loud even when just watching a movie... :/
    You tested quite a few?

Grandmaster
    Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa, Africa, Earth

I have the original giant a$$ PS3. It gets noisey but there are two things I have picked up as to why it gets so loud; ambient temperature and certain games. One game in particular seems to make it run louder than most others. Mine stands on an open cabinet near an open window. In summer I open both windows.

It is adviseable to stand the fat a$$ PS3 vertically while the slim can be laid flat. The design of the fat a$$ will start heating the Blu-Ray drive as heat rises and the side vent when flat cannot expel it effectively.

Grandmaster
    Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa, Africa, Earth

Quote Originally Posted by MR.C View Post
    My cabinet is closed so I put 2 dvd covers below the ps3 on each side so that its slightly elevated in order for some air to pass below, don't know if it does really help but makes sense to me.
    Be careful with this. It is not advisable to leave either of the PS3 or XBox in a closed cabinet. For the XBox that is a near certain death sentence but you are taking a chance with your PS3 as well. You need to get the heat away from the system. Keep in mind there is a fan that sits right under your Blu Ray drive so there's a lot of heat building up there.