Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moving mail from cPanel to google apps

Default Moving mail from cPanel to google apps

I would like to switch a client to google apps but they have about 500mb of mail in their cPanel webmail box. (this includes mail in inbox, folders and sent messages) I need all this mail transfered to google apps when i switch. What is the easiest way i can do this? I know that i can imap using outlook, download the mail, then imap google apps and upload it. But thats a painful process. There is a google apps api but that seems complicated. Does anyone know a simple solution?

Download it,imap it or upload using the Googleapps mail sync,not very complex to be honest,did it for around 75gig worth of mail
    www.domaincheap.co.za
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance

I have a 384kb line, it would take forever

In essence the internet and Googleapps is built around high-speed (broadband) connections so nothing exists specifically for your situation
    www.domaincheap.co.za

Super Grandmaster

Do you have ssh access to the cpanel server? If so, try out url="http://imapsync.lamiral.info/"]imapsync[/url]. It's in the debian/ubuntu repositories, and for Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora it's in EPEL. If you run it on the imap server, you cut out your ADSL chokepoint.

Quote Originally Posted by koffiejunkie View Post
    Do you have ssh access to the cpanel server? If so, try out url="http://imapsync.lamiral.info/"]imapsync[/url]. It's in the debian/ubuntu repositories, and for Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora it's in EPEL. If you run it on the imap server, you cut out your ADSL chokepoint.
    Nope, i do not

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ruyav View Post
    I have a 384kb line, it would take forever
    If both servers are on the internet, just setup a pop account inside of the gmail account to pull all the mail from the cpanel server. Your linespeed would be irrelevant.

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/a...l&answer=21288
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

Wont grab the sent items or imap folders though ^
    www.domaincheap.co.za

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by PsyWulf View Post
    Wont grab the sent items or imap folders though ^
    True, but it's a lot less painful than going server -> pc -> server. Depending on how many additional folders there are anyhow. He could systematically move items from the various folders into the inbox once the transfers complete.

I have considered the pop idea for a worst case scenario but as psywulf said, it isn't ideal because it does not grab sent mail or folders. Also, the domains mail will be directed to google apps. what pop server details would i use for the old server??

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ruyav View Post
    I have considered the pop idea for a worst case scenario but as psywulf said, it isn't ideal because it does not grab sent mail or folders. Also, the domains mail will be directed to google apps. what pop server details would i use for the old server??
    Wouldn't the ip addresses work?

When I migrated my accounts from MS Exchange to GApps I simply setup IMAP on my exchange server then pointed GApps to it and left it to do its thing. It took a few days but it got everything and I have never looked back.

Just let Google do the work.
    www.savitar.co.za - Software Solutions
    www.vaping101.co.za - eCig Solutions

If you would prefer to go the imap route, get a vps from hetzner.de, install a KDE and remote the server to download and upload the data. Works every time we need to move GB's of data fast
    Quote Originally Posted by NAG - Wesley View Post
    SBS 2008 on a Microserver wouldn't be a bad idea, in fact I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ipwn 4 View Post
    If you would prefer to go the imap route, get a vps from hetzner.de, install a KDE and remote the server to download and upload the data. Works every time we need to move GB's of data fast
    Now this sounds like an idea i can work with!! thanks a lot. will look into it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast