Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: VoIP banning threat removed, for now...

haha. Joke.

I've got a better shot at winning the lotto than running VOIP over the MTN network. Though yesterday I saw about 7.5 seconds of 3G in the afternoon at home. At the office its even better...GPRS all the way. (Urban Pretoria btw)

Also, I take everything bad I've ever said about the VC network back. They rock...compared to MTN anyway.
    A trial by combat would resolve this dispute efficiently

Cell-C are promoting Skype and Fring on their website, so presumably it is allowed on their network.

http://www.cellc.co.za/blog/2012-01-...e-freelancer-1
    Keeping in touch with overseas clients used to mean paying a hefty fee. Thanks to VOIP applications such as Skype and Fring, you may never need to pay a cent again towards your business calls. Skype is not only an outstanding VOIP tool, but a great group chat application which works just as well on your mobile as it does on your laptop.

Grandmaster

No wonder nothing ever progresses in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon786 View Post
    I agree with your latter exclamation but as for your former claim,say WHAAAAT????

Where did you pull that one out from?
    http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePag....php?ID=237489

No comment from CellC? First time in weeks their CEO has nothing to say?

MTN said that while they have no immediate plans to cut off any of its customers who use VoIP services on its network or charge higher rates for VoIP traffic, it reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of any of its products and services should this be deemed necessary.
    Wow - changing their terms and conditions whenever it suits them. Are they serious? I assume they can change them for new contracts, but surely they cannot materially change T&C's on a 24-month contract. Or is it possible?

Quote Originally Posted by jasweb View Post
    To be fair he did say voice is dead.Traditional voice anyway.http://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellul...ll-prices.html.

Grandmaster
    South of the Jacarandas and north of the Jukskei

Quote Originally Posted by jasweb View Post
    LOL!

They're just scared because the internet has evolved and they haven't. Why should I spend a ****-ton of money on voice when I can use VoIP and do it for cheaper?

And having said that, what makes VoIP cheaper? Instead of bumping up prices and "warning" people that "they have the right to change their pricing", they should rather try to compete.

The last time I checked, if you compete in price, you gain market-share. The more clients. The more revenue. MWEB did that, amirite?!

I use Fring on CellC with only the usual network problems. In the past, I could swear that my data network would suddenly lose connection whenever I used Skype or Fring and then came back when I shut them down but lately this has not been the case.

I'm on the 5GB promotion data package.

Why don't the mobile networks get with the times and offer VoIP as part of their packages? They'd make much more money, since the customers are not paying a 3rd party to supply the VoIP line.

Quote Originally Posted by eshwar View Post
    Well it is understandable since VoIP given a good network will definitely undermine their regular voice revenues. So assuming they offer a voice prioritized data offering i.e. where VoIP traffic gets priority I think its fair to charge more for it. Of course they should not charge as much as a normal voice call.

That said, I've hardly ever had a good VoIP experience on the mobile networks yet the data connections have sometimes been rock solid with more than enough bandwidth. This leads me to believe that they already do some prioritising (kick down) of VoIP traffic. The way around is of course by using a VPN
    I think it is just bad data management and high utilisation more than any explicit plan at this point, but I would not put it past them. Very stupid, it is pretty simple for a VOIP provider to just set up VPNs for their customers to bypass any deep packet inspection, so don't really see how they are going to be able to realistically enforce this. Skype I am sure will come up with something clever too.

Mostly if you are not given a choice and they AUTOMATICALLY charge you a higher VOIP rate it will be against the spirit of the CPA, so really don't see how they can get away with it. R25/MB, FFS get real.

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    Cell-C are promoting Skype and Fring on their website, so presumably it is allowed on their network.

http://www.cellc.co.za/blog/2012-01-...e-freelancer-1
    Can you imagine how much money Cell C would make if VC/MTN/8ta decided to charge R25/MB or ban VOIP on their networks? with the whole move to unified comms they would dominate the business market quite quickly by just allowing VOIP, maybe some prioritization and not charging more. Even a small optional fee to get better prioritization for VOIP would also be great.
    Attention City of Joburg and its employees, you do not have permission to view this webpage, you will be charged for your malicious hacking crimes

Quote Originally Posted by dj_jyno View Post
    Why don't the mobile networks get with the times and offer VoIP as part of their packages? They'd make much more money, since the customers are not paying a 3rd party to supply the VoIP line.
    Though, from my comprehension of the article(http://mybroadband.co.za/news/teleco...al-future.html) this was squarely blamed on the goverment(duh!title self-explanatory),the telecoms industry is also very much to blame in not taking this country forward.I quote.

You could wish for industry leaders with a little more vision who see both the social and economic benefits of driving down costs and increasing access but there we would need to blame the shareholders who opt for self-interest
    Therein lies the problem.

Just a poke in the dark

Isnt the answer to lay out urban areas with a mesh of towers to use VOIP over wifi?
    So start with urban than gradually add along the main arterial roads between the metropoles.
    I dont know if this is possible?

I've used VOIP quite often on 8ta, and I've never had problems with it. Sometimes a bit laggy, but it normally runs fine.

I've used VoIP on my mtn iphone a few times now via skype. Works fine if you have a decent 3g signal etc. Interestingly when i do it from my data stick it dies horridly <-- no idea why, suspect some sort of policy for my data sim.
    When have you demonstrated leadership skills?
    "Well my best example would be in online video gaming. I pretty much run the show; it takes a lot to do that."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast