Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Traffic in JHB - Newbie to the area

Default Traffic in JHB - Newbie to the area

Spending a year in JHB and was hoping to get some traffic advice. Will be staying in Blairgowrie and need to travel to Ameshof Str in Braampark (quite close to Wits). I plan to leave the residence at about 7 in the morning and would like to know which of the following two routes will be best to avoid the morning rush and congestion (if such a thing is possible)

Route 1 (easiest)
    Go straight down Jan Smuts ave which practically runs into Ameshof str.

Route 2 (trickier)
    Use Standard drive to get onto 1st Ave and then onto Barry Hertzog Av, then onto Empire linking up with Jan Smuts.

Default 6 of one half a dozen of the other...

Quote Originally Posted by fahieme View Post
    Spending a year in JHB and was hoping to get some traffic advice. Will be staying in Blairgowrie and need to travel to Ameshof Str in Braampark (quite close to Wits). I plan to leave the residence at about 7 in the morning and would like to know which of the following two routes will be best to avoid the morning rush and congestion (if such a thing is possible)

Route 1 (easiest)

Route 2 (trickier)
    Use Standard drive to get onto 1st Ave and then onto Barry Hertzog Av, then onto Empire linking up with Jan Smuts.
    Even though I have not lived in JHB for over 10 years I believe that neither are likely to be much better than the other.. they are both main routes depending where you live...

You are going to have to find out for yourself which works best... if I had to hazard a guess I'd say you would get less traffic up empire but as you said it's longer and schleppier so saving time probably not an option but dealing with less traffic would be worth it.

I can't say I miss that traffic, the one thing I can say is that you get used to it before you know it.

G

Default Traffic in JHB - Newbie to the area

Route 2, by miles. Well at least this was true 5 years ago when I lived in linden and went to wits. Just try hit the road before 7:30 much later it gridlocks a bit

Super Grandmaster

route 2 normally. But if there is a slight robot issue anywhere near there, it turns into complete hell.

if u leave at 7, u should be at work before 8 easily using both routes
    He gets the ball, he takes the piss
    He wears the shirt of Matt Le Tiss
    Rickie Lambert Southampton goal machine

Conrad drive or Gordon road at 7am down to Jan Smuts is already getting crazy. I'd go the Hurts-hog way.
    If you leave at 7 you'll be lucky to be on Jan Smuts by 7:30

Welcome to the Big Smoke fahieme. Why don't you try the TomTom maps route planner, as it gives live 'broadcast' of snarl-ups ? (http://routes.tomtom.co.za). There's a 'Plan a route' tab that will show you travel and waiting times. Can't vouch for its accuracy, but it's worth a try.

Super Grandmaster

The trouble with Jan Smuts is that it contracts as it goes through Dunkeld and then again as it approaches the zoo. Barry Hedgehog probably gives a more even ride in.
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood

Route 2. I use that part of my to get into the CBD and "Hurts-Hog" flows smoothly 95% of the time.
    Real Men Don't Rape! [Lead SA]
    Report rape and sexual abuse. You can SMS an anonymous tip-off to 32211. SMS charged at R1.

Quote Originally Posted by ToneDef View Post
    Welcome to the Big Smoke fahieme. Why don't you try the TomTom maps route planner, as it gives live 'broadcast' of snarl-ups ? (http://routes.tomtom.co.za). There's a 'Plan a route' tab that will show you travel and waiting times. Can't vouch for its accuracy, but it's worth a try.
    Reasonably accurate, I'd say about 85% accurate. I do check it daily before I leave the office. This, combined with Live Traffic on my TomTom GPS and a BBM group with people travelling in a similar manner, makes an almost perfect congestion avoidance system.

Quote Originally Posted by fahieme View Post

Route 1 (easiest)

Route 2 (trickier)
    Friends of mine who live in Fourways/Douglasdale use Jan Smuts rather than the N1 and M1. Which brings me to some general traffic pointers for JHB:

Stay the **** away from Fourways and try not to be on the roads between 6 and 8am.
    If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, don't make a yoga instructor your wife!