Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oil change causing tappats to make a noise ?

It's not a problem, but that oil is pretty much as low quality as you can go.

The lifter noise will be the worst during the morning because the oil you put in doesn't handle low temperatures well.

The noise is that loud because the oil has been pushed out of the lifters by the spring pressure. Then when you start up, the oil is very viscous (because it is 20w50) so it takes a while for the oil to heat up and to pump up the valve lifters.

Next time use Shell Helix HX7 (10w40)

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    It's not a problem, but that oil is pretty much as low quality as you can go.

The lifter noise will be the worst during the morning because the oil you put in doesn't handle low temperatures well.

The noise is that loud because the oil has been pushed out of the lifters by the spring pressure. Then when you start up, the oil is very viscous (because it is 20w50) so it takes a while for the oil to heat up and to pump up the valve lifters.

Next time use Shell Helix HX7 (10w40)

totally agree, this morning it sounded like the valves were going to jump through the engine out of the hood and beat me with a crank rod
    but after a few seconds it calmed down. i really just feel like changing the oil tomorrow for the sake of the engine and my sleep being affected, i love some old cars with all my heart and hurting them slightly because of a rookie mistake is affecting my sleep

i see there are some fuses missing and some relays, that explains the heater/fan not working and some other gadgets ... the joys of purchasing a 99% working 2nd hand LOL
    Don't let me come play de la rey in front of your house and do donuts !

I had a new cam belt and roller fitted to my 95 golf, engine ran smooth and this was after a service, then I sent it away for a new serpentine/fanbelt and roller to be fitted, and it started tapping, really not sure what could cause that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua_lung View Post
    I had a new cam belt and roller fitted to my 95 golf, engine ran smooth and this was after a service, then I sent it away for a new serpentine/fanbelt and roller to be fitted, and it started tapping, really not sure what could cause that.
    did it start tapping at the mechs place when you got it or after a while ?

i checked my crank shaft this morning and one of them lobes that turn had a small scratch on ? does this mean i would have it renewed i think this is where the knocking or tapping is coming from ??? or maybe its the rockers IDK.... noooooooooo
    Last edited by Draconia2; 06-05-2012 at 11:20 AM.

@Aqua_lung: I don't know VW but on an Opel that would worry me...

@Draconia2:
    Did you open the engine? (How did you see the scratching on the crank shaft?)
    How do you mean lobes on the crank shaft? Do you perhaps mean the camshaft?

How long after you start the engine does that noise continue?
    Last edited by Gnome; 06-05-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconia2 View Post
    did it start tapping at the mechs place when you got it or after a while ?
    I only noticed the day after, not really that audible only if you listen closely, but I don't think it's a major issue I'll take it to a good mechanic soon.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    @Aqua_lung: I don't know VW but on an Opel that would worry me...

@Draconia2:
    Did you open the engine? (How did you see the scratching on the crank shaft?)
    How do you mean lobes on the crank shaft? Do you perhaps mean the camshaft?

How long after you start the engine does that noise continue?
    ola compadre

i was talking bout the camshaft, went to a specialized shop (auto tune pinetown)

he says the engine is pretty much as healthy as you can get on 880 000km, no carbons, everything is clean. he then listened to the noises and said its the cambelt thats loose and rattling against the cover, the normal tapping noise was coming from one lobe that had a mark on it which was visible from the oil cap taken off, he says thats normal for high mileage engines and not a big concern, oil was also correct and no problems.

anyway, a new shaft for the cam will cost R650 to R1300 with complete cambox if i want it.

it does sound right as ive phoned all the spares shops in durban almost.

Rather leave it as is. Don't fiddle unless something is wrong. Just don't. Opening the engine will only bring you more hardships in the future.

15w40
    thick enough not to be messy (leaky) thin enough for the engine to use

many years ago i had a ford laser 1.3. Also put in gtx and the tappets made a hell of a noise. The problem with older engines are that there are more wear and tear on the tappets( in my case it was hydraulic valve lifters i think you car have the same ), wat happens is that over night if the oil is to thin the oil drains out these lifters. SO come morning when you start up the first 10 to 30 seconds it makes a hell of a noise.

How to fix it? I used thicker oil. Not multigrade but either w30 or 40 (depends on how much wear your engine have)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
    many years ago i had a ford laser 1.3. Also put in gtx and the tappets made a hell of a noise. The problem with older engines are that there are more wear and tear on the tappets( in my case it was hydraulic valve lifters i think you car have the same ), wat happens is that over night if the oil is to thin the oil drains out these lifters. SO come morning when you start up the first 10 to 30 seconds it makes a hell of a noise.

How to fix it? I used thicker oil. Not multigrade but either w30 or 40 (depends on how much wear your engine have)
    shot, turns out the noise was amplified due to the big arse kadett airfilter with its original exhaust rattling on the engine cover , it has since been silenced.

but there is still a faint rattle from tappets, its just age i guess

http://lubematch.shell.co.za/recomme...age=5&brand=97
    Engine (P) Helix HX7 10W-40

Oil Change Intervals
    Engine
    Months Min 6
    Months Max 12
    Km Min 10000

You have the wrong oil in. It's too thick
    "Don't be in a hurry, Death will find you." - spiderz, 16/01/2014

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12