Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: UHF and VHF Radio frequencies

Super Grandmaster

Post UHF and VHF Radio frequencies

With regards to the monitoring of radio frequencies:

This came into effect recently as obviously ICASA has had some issues or possibly complaints from either a private/commercial or on a law enforcement level (Police/Metro/NI/NPA), about frequency monitoring that someone has noticed.

This will apply for the following:
    License holders of private licenses for UHF/VHF and 29MHz frequencies.
    It is unclear about how this affects the monitoring of 446.x MHz channels as they are public channels (Zartek radios anyone?) but I know we will be reformatting our radios as to remove those channels anyways as they are insecure and simplex (the majority of CPFs have repeaters, as do we).

ALL CPF EXCO Members, CPF forums and sub-forums.

PLEASE DISTRIBUTE THIS TO EVERY CPF RADIO REPEATER LICENSE HOLDER IN OUR *** PRECINCT AS WELL AS *** AND ALL OTHER FREQUENCIES THAT WE ARE IN COMMUNICATION WITH.

ICASA have INSTRUCTED me to forward the following instructions to all CPFS:

1. You must at all times have an up to date list of all the radio frequencies programmed on your radios with you.

2. You must also have a data base of all radio owners in your region, with names and adresses.

3. It is a legal requirement to also have a letter of permission and approval with you, from every frequency holder whose frequency you are monitoring on your radio.

4. Failing to comply in this regard, may lead to prosecution and or confiscation of radio transmission equipment.

Because of the above legal requirements, I need you, as a matter of urgency, TO FORWARD TO ME, AND EVERY OTHER CPF a letter of permission to have ALL your frequencies and sub-forum frequencies programmed on each others radios. Please also quote your ICASA license number in this letter.

Please treat this with extreme urgency as ICASA is very persistant in this regard and will enforce the law if necessary. If we do not comply, ICASA have the right to confiscate all radio equipment found monitoring frequencies without the required documentation.

The moratorium on radio frequency licenses for CPFs is still in place and ICASA is still NOT issueing new duplex license frequencies to CPFs untill further notice.

No dates have been quoted i.t.o when the moratorium may be lifted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

What a joke. The government is so busy with cr@p like this, they have no time to run the country.

Between this and the secrecy bill, this country is starting to feel like East Germany in the bad old days.

Power hungry morons.

Super Grandmaster

Yeah. And as an example, we have to get written permission from neighbouring CPFs to monitor their channels (for instance the "inter-CPF" channel).

I do however wonder how they will be bringing this down on the vultures - they are the main culprits in the whole frequency monitoring business as they monitor fire brigade and ambulance services's channels.
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Oh no you didn't

Other than an unannounced raid, I can't see how they could possibly catch you out. Sounds like codswallop TBH unless you're actively demodulating and intercepting transmissions, makes sense then since it's eavesdropping.
    change is inevitable... cognitiveradio.co.za

Super Grandmaster

No idea. There's around 20'000 radios connected with the CPF in Pretoria alone.
    Oh no you didn't

Zartek radios are absolute crap.

We used them for about five years for our neighborhood watch, but then moved over to different ones that can use a repeater, which made a HUGE difference.

We have to pay a licence fee now of R50/year to ICASA for the frequency that was allocated to us however.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by sentry View Post
    Zartek radios are absolute crap.

We used them for about five years for our neighborhood watch, but then moved over to different ones that can use a repeater, which made a HUGE difference.

We have to pay a licence fee now of R50/year to ICASA for the frequency that was allocated to us however.
    Yes. This is what the above is in relation to.

Remember that the Zartek radios are 500mW (tx).
    The larger Kirisun/Kenwood radios are 4W (tx). Huuuuuge difference. In comparison, my mobile radio is 25W (tx)

Btw, that R50 you pay, it counts up towards the R3000 fee for the repeater license for the duplex channel.
    Oh no you didn't