Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: Mint dropping Ubuntu ties in favor to Debian pure.

Quote Originally Posted by Elimentals View Post
    Oh man that brought back memories!!!!

installing Official Nvdia Drivers, old style

ala crtl+alt+F1,
    kill mdm
    then run script

Man Ubuntu spoiled me rotten!!!

Erm mint 12 is old news, this is 201204, Mint 12 = Ubuntu 11.10, so in theory this is Mint 13

PS: I use pretty as in user friendly ways of doing things not as in looks.
    Please tell me you realise this isn't the first time they have done this. They will release a proper Mint 13 if they don't breaking compatibility will piss off a large amount of people. Once it matures then I will consider using it.
    Ps used Mints previous Debian build and was excellent.
    Edit: Holy Mother, I hope they dont go back!!!
    Yes its not pretty but my word I forgot how fast Linux on a desktop can be.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by milomak View Post
    Besides the use of sudo how different can the basic use be between the two?
    All I remember was I was ace at Ubuntu and I felt lost on Debian. This was about two years ago though so maybe Debian has become more user friendly since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Linoman View Post
    Please tell me you realise this isn't the first time they have done this. They will release a proper Mint 13 if they don't breaking compatibility will piss off a large amount of people. Once it matures then I will consider using it.
    Hey I am new to Mint, so if they had previous Deb builds, Sorry - my bad.
    Only been using it since 12.... Had the final nail in the Ubuntu coffin last year. So I installed Mint 12 to see if its any better, and it was.

At work we use Centos or Debian pure with no X desktop so not new to Debian.
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

Besides the use of sudo how different can the basic use be between the two?
    The stuff usually works in Ubuntu. To get oddball stuff to work in Debian, you have to go through major exercises in pinning if you're not running sid. Try installing a new version of wine - last time I looked Debian was still on wine 0.93 in their repositories (a version from around 2006!).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl-sa View Post
    The stuff usually works in Ubuntu. To get oddball stuff to work in Debian, you have to go through major exercises in pinning if you're not running sid. Try installing a new version of wine - last time I looked Debian was still on wine 0.93 in their repositories (a version from around 2006!).
    I find it the other way around.

If you install from Ubuntu repo's your safe, but do not and I mean do not try and compile your own stuff or use anything outside the Ubuntu world as you will suffer nightmares of note.

Edit: for wine I just did wine now, and was easy as pie. copy source tarboll, unzip, ./configure, make, make install and I am done.
    Last edited by Elimentals; 06-05-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Oh and apt-add-repository is broken, don't know if this is a bug or a feature
    Debian does not support apt-add-repository.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    Debian does not support apt-add-repository.
    Know that much, but it was installed as part of default install hence the comment

Edit: for wine I just did wine now, and was easy as pie. copy source tarboll, unzip, ./configure, make, make install and I am done.
    Try doing that with squeeze. Took me the better part of a weekend getting the necessary libraries installed.

As for compiles on ubuntu variants, apt-get install -f is your friend

Debian is my main distro.

As a home user, testing is the better branch to run. I personally run Sid. Even if running stable, I imagine popular packages can be found in backports which are recent versions.

For the most part, the difference in the post install stage is getting multimedia setup. Which is fairly straightforward.
    Do NOT construe anything I type as advice

Debian is my main distro.

As a home user, testing is the better branch to run. I personally run Sid. Even if running stable, I imagine popular packages can be found in backports which are recent versions.

For the most part, the difference in the post install stage is getting multimedia setup. Which is fairly straightforward.
    I ran testing on my desktop for two years, but then with one update they broke both the gnome menu system and sudo, which is the kind of thing you expect from ubuntu, not debian.

Just noticed something on the Mint website <http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1974>

"Linux Mint 13 will be named “Maya” and should be available at the end of May 2012."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garyc View Post
    Just noticed something on the Mint website <http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1974>

"Linux Mint 13 will be named “Maya” and should be available at the end of May 2012."
    Yeah I have a feeling I will be going to the Ubuntu Edition when released, as much as it pains me speed wise, there is just a tad to many things broken espcially when using Cinnamon.

Can not edit menu's so can not add my applications manually (Same goes for wine that is installed it doesn't auto add Windows applications on install)
    Default applications fail to change things like background image
    Does not accept/keep default application settings.
    Cinnamon themes broken
    Among others...

Well for what its worth, my desktop will look like this till then http://imgur.com/a/8s2NJ

Oh well, so we learn

The problem with ubuntu is all the schit & stuff they add to the dektop meta-packages. If you do a base install followed a plain vanilla desktop environment it's much better.
    On my PC xubuntu 12.04 takes 27sec to boot and feels a 'bit' sluggish, I installed plain xfce 4.10 on a base install and I now boot in under 17sec, DE is way snappier and my font config kicks xubuntus in da panty.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    The problem with ubuntu is all the schit & stuff they add to the dektop meta-packages. If you do a base install followed a plain vanilla desktop environment it's much better.
    On my PC xubuntu 12.04 takes 27sec to boot and feels a 'bit' sluggish, I installed plain xfce 4.10 on a base install and I now boot in under 17sec, DE is way snappier and my font config kicks xubuntus in da panty.
    Thing is boot up is one place you see it clearly but its everywhere from Libre office to Photoshop, everything seems snappier on Deb Mint.

Its just the dam bugs thats getting to me... Like when I installed Google chrome, there was no way to add the launcher manually in the menu (even the auto add from the deb installer failed) well unless you go and hunt for the menu conf and vi the sucker.

I ran testing on my desktop for two years, but then with one update they broke both the gnome menu system and sudo, which is the kind of thing you expect from ubuntu, not debian.
    which is why the standard advice when running testing or sid is to have apt-listbugs installed. your expectations would be met if you were running stable.

fwiw i've been running sid for over 7 years and it has never died on me.
    Do NOT construe anything I type as advice

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast