Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MTN selling that which they cannot provide...

Angry MTN selling that which they cannot provide...

I am living in Secunda Mpumalanga and was suckered into getting one of those MTN data lite uncapped packages for R289 per month. Where I live MTN only has EDGE signal. I have no complains about not having 3g. EDGE is supposed to have a throughput speed of about 25kb/s - way more then enough for the basic web browsing / email I intended to use it for.

My problem is that even if I have full EDGE signal my data transfer rate is never faster then 800b/s - 2000b/s that is atrocious! I am now stuck with a data contract that is completely useless to me. Places in town with full 3g signal I am happy if I get 20kb/s max! I tried this with a variety of modems and or wireless routers and tethering phones.

On the same laptop and iPhone using Vodacom sim cards I get full HSDPA speed at home and in town.

Please anybody reading this make sure you test whether you actually will get any data throughput on MTN before you go for one of their bundles where they sell that which they are unable to deliver and or which they do not have...

Once they have you signed on a contract it is tickets, you have to pay them every month for NOTHING but unfriendly call center staff!

Grandmaster

On paper EDGE looks alright, but for any actual browsing it is absolutely useless. Just one of those facts of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    On paper EDGE looks alright, but for any actual browsing it is absolutely useless. Just one of those facts of life.
    +1

Come on MTN

+1

Dump 3G, use ADSL

Super Grandmaster

You should have tested the EDGE speed before you signed up. I think you have only yourself to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by ajax View Post
    You should have tested the EDGE speed before you signed up. I think you have only yourself to blame.
    EDGE speed IS NOT 800b/s come on seriously. And with full 3g signal only getting 20kb/s??? Are you working for MTN or have a lot of shares with them perhaps?

And looking at the other posts in this forum I am not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ngadao08 View Post
    +1

Dump 3G, use ADSL
    ngadao08, I would seriously. I am waiting for 3 years now for ADSL there is no infrastructure available at the Secunda exchange. The only workable solution is to use a Vodacom sim with one of the Vodacom data bundles at present. Not even 8ta is an option here as they piggy back of MTN's non existing overloaded network.

Viva, why then do I avarage between a minimum of 20kb/s and a maximum of 28kb/s when I set my iPhone to 2g EDGE only and tether it with my laptop using a Vodacom sim? I know EDGE is an order of magnitude slower then 3g. I am HAPPY with 20kb/s as I want to use this for research and email NOT downloading illegal movies or music.

So no, I cannot except the fact that the Vodacom network has a fully functional EDGE signal (and full 3g) but the full 5 bar full EDGE signal on MTN only gives 800b/s. Something is seriously WRONG with the MTN infrastructure in Secunda (or complete lack there of).

Hence the reason of these posts to warn others in smaller towns to avoid the completely useless over loaded MTN network like the plague. Hell they can not even provide service to their own subscribers and then they go and let 8ta piggy back of them in most rural areas

SELLING WHAT THEY DONT HAVE

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by georgelappies View Post
    Are you working for MTN or have a lot of shares with them perhaps?
    No need to get personal. EDGE performance varies greatly. It depends how busy the tower is with voice traffic (you could do a speed test at 3am to check this) as voice gets priority over data. It also depends on what coding scheme the tower's equipment is capable of, i.e. is it only GPRS, or can it do EDGE class 10? Class 10 EDGE requires very good radio conditions. How's your signal?

EDGE can perform very well - Kleinmond has a tower, I won't say which network, on which I got consistently around 200 kbit/sec. Browsing was quite usable and I streamed radio without any break-ups. The other network with the same signal strength only gave around 60 kbit/sec.

No need to get personal. EDGE performance varies greatly. It depends how busy the tower is with voice traffic (you could do a speed test at 3am to check this) as voice gets priority over data. It also depends on what coding scheme the tower's equipment is capable of, i.e. is it only GPRS, or can it do EDGE class 10? Class 10 EDGE requires very good radio conditions. How's your signal?

EDGE can perform very well - Kleinmond has a tower, I won't say which network, on which I got consistently around 200 kbit/sec. Browsing was quite usable and I streamed radio without any break-ups. The other network with the same signal strength only gave around 60 kbit/sec.
    Apologies if my reply came of as personal. Just kind of felt that you were of the same disposition the MTN staff is with regards to my issue. (We recommended the product to you at our MTN store in Secunda, sorry it doesn't work but hey you already signed the contract = you're problem now)

Answering your questions, yes I do get full EDGE signal on MTN at home. If I move to the living room I even get 3 bars of 3g. With Vodacom I get the same EDGE signal and a bit stronger 3g signal. On MTN I only get 800b/s - 2000b/s with latency in the 10 000's (MTN NEVER switches to GPRS though, it stays full EDGE signal).

In town (Secunda CBD) I get FULL 3g signal on MTN and only 4 bars with Vodacom. But here is the weird thing. Even getting full 3g signal on MTN only lets me download at 10kb/s on the MTN 3g network...

Now 8ta only has limited coverage of their own in the big Metros for everywhere else they use MTN to provide their coverage:

http://www.cyberconnect.co.za/8ta-10gb-3g-special
    http://www.igeek.co.za/tag/8ta/
    https://www.google.com/search?client...oe=utf-8&gl=za

So not only will MTN sell weapons to militant dictatorships in order to secure contract for $$$ They will even sell what they don't have to citizens of this country.

Super Grandmaster

You should report your speed problems on specific towers to MTN, maybe hellopeter is the route to go.

Just note that full bar is not necessarily excellent signal. If memory serves, full bar is -80 dBm. You won't get full speed EDGE with that. You need it to be in the -60's. Sounds like the 3G tower also has a problem.

Maybe also rule out the possibility that they're throttling you to death on your uncapped. Get a normal prepaid sim and load some airtime and compare.

But if you consistently get this speed problem for months it can be seen as grounds for cancellation without penalties. But report your problems, regularly, and get reference numbers so that there's evidence of your issues.

You should report your speed problems on specific towers to MTN, maybe hellopeter is the route to go.

Just note that full bar is not necessarily excellent signal. If memory serves, full bar is -80 dBm. You won't get full speed EDGE with that. You need it to be in the -60's. Sounds like the 3G tower also has a problem.

Maybe also rule out the possibility that they're throttling you to death on your uncapped. Get a normal prepaid sim and load some airtime and compare.

But if you consistently get this speed problem for months it can be seen as grounds for cancellation without penalties. But report your problems, regularly, and get reference numbers so that there's evidence of your issues.
    Ajax, thanks for your suggestions. I will pursue them and hopefully get this issue resolved.

Kind regards,

George

EDGE is on the same frequency as voice, and voice takes priority over edge. So if you in a well populated area, speeds will take a huge dip. If at midnight it's still a problem, then problem is with the tower.

But with 3G speeds like that, it probably is the tower.

Hi HideInLight, thanks for your suggestion. I actually tried to download an ubuntu ISO of a local mirror and graphed the bandwidth throughput. Irrespective of the time of day the throughput at home using edge never increases to a workable level.

But I posted on www.hellopeter.com

http://www.hellopeter.com/mtn/compla...provide-795521

and hopefully something happens...

Super Grandmaster

I've had a similar problem with Vodacom, except my data speed is zero all the time and often I can't even make calls. I agree that they should check and let you know what the signal quality and congestion is like where you live.

I think one of the issues these companies face is hypochondriacs and bunny-huggers blocking new infrastructure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast