Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Canceling an accepted letter of offer

Cool Canceling an accepted letter of offer

Hi all,

I accepted a letter of offer yesterday (where the potential employer signed the document and I did not need to sign it - however I verbally accepted the offer).

However, there might be a high possibility that I will get a much better offer from a different company tomorrow.

Are there any legal implications if I cancel the offer I signed yesterday? So then I can accept the better offer tomorrow if it materialises.

I have been told there is no legal binding when an offer of employment has been signed/accepted. I have not received the contract as yet, therefore it is unsigned at this moment from the company I met yesterday.

Thank you.

Turn it off and on again i say

It's only legal when both parties have signed.

That said, I think you're being unreasonable. Why accept the offer when the outcome from another company is still unknown? Now the company that you've accepted the offer from would have started planning for you to be employed there, cancelling their interview processes etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    I am a tool

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hoxbig View Post
    It's only legal when both parties have signed.

That said, I think you're being unreasonable. Why accept the offer when the outcome from another company is still unknown? Now the company that you've accepted the offer from would have started planning for you to be employed there, cancelling their interview processes etc.
    Agreed. That said, it is your life. Also, rather than comparing the salaries, compare the companies and your growth potential there.

Interesting read: http://www.labourguide.co.za/contrac...job-offers-760

This is the reverse situation but it comes down to a valid and binding contract needs to be concluded. That said, your intention could also be seen as looking for a counter offer with a new employer and this could be viewed as making your original agreement null & void.

Worst case you start your new job, resign the next day and then start your new (next) one the following day
    Character is how you treat those that can do nothing for you.

Why did you do that?

Dont take the job you dont want just because you said you would. But, you need to apologize to them in person.

And if its about money, the difference better be huge. If its like R1k more per month, you are being an idiot.

Carefully think about the bridges you could be burning by messing a company around. Be sure that it will not come back to bite you.
    Real Men Don't Rape! [Lead SA]
    Report rape and sexual abuse. You can SMS an anonymous tip-off to 32211. SMS charged at R1.

Super Grandmaster

I was in your same position a short while ago. Best thing you could do is tell them as early as possible as to mitigate any expenses / administrative time they incur on your employment setup.

Enquire whether there are any penalties included in termination of contract prior to employment commencement dates. If there is, simply resign on the first day. The company knows you'll take this route to save money, so in all likelihood they'll accept your termination notification without even bothering to continue.

Just be careful if you went through a recruitment firm. The one I used wanted me to sign a clause stating that I would repay them (the recruiter) R25k if I were to resign within 3 months of employment. I wrote back telling them to get stuffed and that I do not accept the terms. They waived it and never brought it up again. Chancers.

It's your future. Don't choose the option that will avoid conflict, for the sake of it. You're the one who will go to that work every day. Decide.
    Chicks are car guards. Kick 'em inna panty!

I suffer from A.D.D. : Attention Deficit Diso - oooh lets go ride bikes! ~

Quote Originally Posted by Voicy View Post
    I was in your same position a short while ago. Best thing you could do is tell them as early as possible as to mitigate any expenses / administrative time they incur on your employment setup.

Enquire whether there are any penalties included in termination of contract prior to employment commencement dates. If there is, simply resign on the first day. The company knows you'll take this route to save money, so in all likelihood they'll accept your termination notification without even bothering to continue.

Just be careful if you went through a recruitment firm. The one I used wanted me to sign a clause stating that I would repay them (the recruiter) R25k if I were to resign within 3 months of employment. I wrote back telling them to get stuffed and that I do not accept the terms. They waived it and never brought it up again. Chancers.

It's your future. Don't choose the option that will avoid conflict, for the sake of it. You're the one who will go to that work every day. Decide.
    They won't hold you to anything - no company would force you to be employed by them when you didn't want to.
    You've already been a bit of a douche here, but at least give them some notice well before your starting date so they can find somebody else

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by eehellfire View Post
    They won't hold you to anything - no company would force you to be employed by them when you didn't want to.
    You've already been a bit of a douche here, but at least give them some notice well before your starting date so they can find somebody else
    Gave 'em over a month's notice. But yeah, had sleepless nights about it. :/
    Last edited by Voicy; 09-05-2012 at 10:54 PM.
    Chicks are car guards. Kick 'em inna panty!

I suffer from A.D.D. : Attention Deficit Diso - oooh lets go ride bikes! ~