Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which ADSL modem has fastest download/upload speed + advice needed plz?

Default Which ADSL modem has fastest download/upload speed + advice needed plz?

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask if someone know which is the best ADSL modem or ADSL modem router to get which has the fastest download and specially upload speeds? I'll be moving from 3G over to ADSL and probably going to go with Webafrica with either 4mbps uncapped or 10mbps (if supported) for my home internet needs.

My current setup is as follows;

1* Huawei 3G Mdem/Router (B970B) with external antenna (directional) which I'll replace with ADSL
    1* D-Link DGS-1008D 1Gbit Switch (Huawei B970B + 2 pc's connected to it via LAN)
    1* 16 Port Mecer Switch 1Gbit (D-Link DGS-1008D switch + 3 Media Players + PS3 all connected via LAN)
    1* Edimax WiFi Router (54Mbps) connected to the 16 Port Mecer Switch (for my home Wifi Network which we use for our phones and laptops to access the net)

I'm basically looking for a ADSL modem/router with the following specs/requirements;

* Minimum 4Mbps upload speed supported for future use when/if Telkom offers higher upload speeds
    * 3G Modem support for when ADSL connection fails
    * Gigabit LAN
    * Good WiFi range, need about 30-40mt indoors
    * Fast WiFi Speed, possibly 300Mbps

Thanks

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Any router that supports ADSL2+ and you'll be good to go.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

ADSL is restricted to 2Mbps upload & 24Mbps download when using ADSL2+ modulation. Secondly, you'll need to be really close to a DSLAM to get those kind of speeds in the first place.

Telkom is busy trialing 40Mbps VDSL, which requires a completely different modem, so I'd say its stupid to go and spend thousands on an ADSL modem if your area's ADSL infrastructure gets upgraded regularly.

Those Billion routers (that Roadrunner mentioned) are way overpriced for what they offer, unless perhaps you're using it for VoIP.

The ADSL modems that include gigabit LAN + 300Mbps 802.11n WiFi are quite expensive to say the least.

If you want to be future proof, look at the routers (that does not include ADSL modem units) that can do simultaneous dual band (2.4GHz + 5GHz) WiFi. In SA you can get these units from Cisco/Linksys, Asus & Netgear. They are quite expensive too.
    The ones that only do 2.4GHz or 5GHz at a time are cheaper, but if you go with 5GHz now, most of your devices might not be able to connect.

My recommendation would be to get a cheap (yet brilliant) ADSL modem like the D-Link DSL-2500U (~R200 from online shops) + a high end dual band WiFi AP & gigabit router (eg. http://www.netgear.com/home/products.../wndr3700.aspx).
    Having the ADSL modem as a separate device is useful in most situations: (1) it can protect your other devices from lightening, (2) when you move away from ADSL, you can just replace it with another cheap modem or simply ditch it

If you want to reduce your amount of network equipment, then you can try to look for ADSL modem + WiFi AP routers, but they'll be incredibly difficult to find if you want it to be future proof.

Bit of a weird question ... almost like asking which bottle of brandy will make me drunk

Hi,

Great question! Believe it or not, different modems perform differently at those high speeds. I learnt this from my personal experience going through a few modems and doing research online.

Basically, there are 2 common ADSL modem chipsets - Trendchip and Broadcom.

I have a 10mbit line. I tried an unbranded modem (unknown chipset) and a TP-link modem (model number ending with 'T', hence a Trendchip chipset), and found that both modems caused frequent sync issues and disconnection of my ADSL line.

I then tried a Netgear (broadcom based), TP-Link (broadcom based) and a Tenda (broadcom based) modem. All 3 modems gave me significatly more stable ADSL sync.

After researching online, it turns out that Trenchip are usually faster chips, whereas Broadcom are more reliable if you have bad sync issues. Seeing as you are looking at 4mb or 10mb line access, sync will most probably be bad/noisy (Telkom's top quality cables at work ), and I would highly recommend any Broadcom based modem over a Trendchip modem. I am getting over 1MB/s download speeds, so I don't see any reduction in speed with a Broadcom chipset.

Look out for the following modems that contain Broadcom chips: D-link modems (check model on google to make sure it is broadcom), Netgear modems, TP-Link modems (make sure it is broadcom) and Tenda's modems (All of them use Broadcom and can be bought for under R250).

I suggest you go for the most simple, wired, Broadcom based modem. In this way, you can have an inexpensive modem and then get a really nice router (like the Asus RT-N56U or N66U - both have won tons of awards). This will ensure you get the best solution possible and will give you extremely fast and reliable wifi speeds too. (Cisco and Netgear also make great wifi routers)

Feel free to reply or PM me if you need any further info
    Last edited by alkit; 14-05-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by COMPUTEK View Post
    Bit of a weird question ... almost like asking which bottle of brandy will make me drunk
    At least he knows what he wants and what exactly he has! Like this evening I asked a person what speed ADSL he has and he said 100Mbps, because that is what his PC's network status reported - LOL.

I don't know why you think this is a weird question, because I think it was a very well formed one.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

alkit:
    Thanks for that in depth "review" of the 2 chipsets!

I didn't know that TP-Link sold both chipsets with their modems. I always thought they just used the Broadcom ones in their modems.

It seems like Netgear started to use decent modem chipsets the past few years, because Netgear modems were always terrible compared to the cheap old D-Link DSL-2500U, where as the new ones such as the DGN2200 is showing great improvement over the old ones.

I know this is sort of off-topic, but do you perhaps know where to find a list of all the modem chipsets, or do you just have to scourge for specs on the manufacturer websites?

To be honest, I just looked up which modems I could easily get access to, and then googled the modem + chipset.
    EG- "TP-Link 8840T Trendchip", will show tons of results that match and confirm it is Trendchip.

Also, the forum which I found most of my info from is forums.whirlpool.net.au (you will also see many google results from this site when you search a specific modem + chipset.... ya, ya, I know they ozzies, but at least they good for something )

Take a look this page on forums.whirlpool.net.au which gives a list of some modems and also gets into the differences between the 2 chipsets (probably the most complete thread on the matter):
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1846450
    Last edited by alkit; 14-05-2012 at 12:40 AM.
    Looking for cool gadgets/accessories? Check out www.geewiz.co.za

Thanks for the info guys, definitely helping me decide on which route to take..

Roadrunner's link was actually what I initially though of as being what I needed but now hearing that just an ADSL modem is the better option (cheap and inexpensive to replace if hit by lightning), I'm seriously considering this option instead. It would be nice to have an ADSL modem router with built-in 3G modem but then it'll cost quite a bit so maybe this is not the best option.

I did a bit of research and came across the Cisco Linksys WAG320N (http://homestore.cisco.eu/store/cisc...ctID.241269700). Although it's also a WiFi router and not just a ADSL modem, it does have gbit LAN which I thought might be a good option as I'd replace my D-Link DGS-1008D 1Gbit Switch with this one instead. This would allow me to keep my LAN running at 1 Gbit which is handy for when transferring large files between PC's, the only problem is that I don't really need the ADSL modem to have WiFi capability as it'll be installed on the one end of the house whereas my current WiFi router (Edimax) is somewhat in the middle for better WiFi signal throughout the house.

Has anyone used or know if the Cisco Linksys WAG320N is a good modem to get?

Ideally, I'd possibly prefer a modem with the same specs as the Cisco Linksys WAG320N (ADSL modem + Gbit LAN w/out WiFi), any suggestions?

I have a brand new Belkin 150N wireless router (http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=492429) which I connected to my 16 port Gbit switch but for some reason my network would stop transferring files every few seconds then continue with the transfer when video streaming from my media centre to my media players or even when transferring large files from one pc to another pc. So I took it out and used my old 54mbps Edimax instead which seems to do the job. If I manage to get the Belkin 150N to work correctly then my WiFi would have a stronger signal throughout the house (and faster), then all I'll need is a ADSL modem with Gbit LAN and I'm all good to go.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

caldue.m:
    From the sound of things, all you really need is a standalone ADSL modem (no WiFi, no gigabit LAN), seeing that you already have a gigabit switch and WiFi AP's.

The Linksys WAG320N is a good router. I'm not sure how good it is as an ADSL modem. All I know is that they do hide a lot of stats and configuration options from the menu's, which I really hate.

If I'm not mistaken, the WAG320N is EoL (End of Life) already, meaning there is another router that would be replacing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    My recommendation would be to get a cheap (yet brilliant) ADSL modem like the D-Link DSL-2500U (~R200 from online shops)
    I support this statement! I use the D-Link U2500U on two ADSL lines with amazing results. These small modems are very stable and because of the low price I can keep two spare modems as backup units. They also provide some lightning protection....lol

My last experience with a Linksys modem was the old ADSL2MUE. Good modem on good copper but I believe the D-Link is more forgiving and remains stable on less ideal copper runs.

my 2c worth...

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    caldue.m:
    From the sound of things, all you really need is a standalone ADSL modem (no WiFi, no gigabit LAN), seeing that you already have a gigabit switch and WiFi AP's.
    Hi Pada, the standalone ADSL modem (without WiFi) is a good option but it must have Gbit LAN because I want to connect to to my network where my Gbit switch is. So basically I'll replace my D-Link DGS-1008D 1Gbit Switch with a standalone ADSL modem with Gbit so that 2 of my PC's that will be connected to the modem will continue to run on 1000Mbit instead of 100Mbit. I'll then take the D-Link DGS-1008D 1Gbit Switch and use it somewhere else, this way my LAN continues to run at a Gbit throughout my network which is quite important as the whole famile loves watching movies which stream from my media centre to all computers and even to one of my TV's (Samsung Smart TV).

Province of National Land Speed Record Attempts

Out of interest's sake, can that D-Link DSL-2500U be popped into bridge mode? I use some Telkom branded DuoPlus 300WR modem-router combo (or similar) that I pop into bridge mode and then use a Linksys WRT-54GL to establish the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by XennoX View Post
    Out of interest's sake, can that D-Link DSL-2500U be popped into bridge mode? I use some Telkom branded DuoPlus 300WR modem-router combo (or similar) that I pop into bridge mode and then use a Linksys WRT-54GL to establish the connection.
    Hi Xennox, I use the modem in bridge mode with a Mikrotik Routerboard 750GL. I dial two separate DSL accounts on one line. The 750 GL has 5 gigabit ports to maintian my gigabit network and route to and from the 2 accounts as required.

The 2500U is a 1 port router aswell but I prefer to use it in bridge mode only to serve as a modem managed by the 750 GL for multi accounts or the Linksys WRT 54GL if you only dialing one account at a time.

HTH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast