Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast

Thread: 101 Reasons Not to Buy A Windows Phone 7.5

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not a WP fan. (I use Android).

But it will take a little while to iron out all the niggles. Then it might be worth it to take another look at it.

Common sense indicates that, should you have a M$ desktop/laptop with M$ office etc, then you should be able to sync 100% from your desktop to your phone.

Rome wasn't built in a day.
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by [)roi(] View Post
    I.e. Reports are indicating silverlight is not going to be supported for new apps, and hereditary (WP7) apps support must still be clarified.

This implies that all the existing apps will have to be redeveloped using the new standards at some point re it's appears silverlight is going to be phased out completely.
    Erm, where did you read that? The only thing they have made clear is that WP7 apps will work just fine on WP8.
    Every time I read this forum I wonder what version of the internet some people have.
    My Site: http://blog.roguecode.co.za
    I make awesome Windows Phone apps for awesome companies.

This is what gets me worked up ... companies selling their development stuff to people locked into 24 month contracts. Why the hell must we be burdended with Microsoft's problems? Why should we fund their effort to build a competing mobile OS over the next X number of years? Why do people fall for this?
    What you do is your history. What you set in motion is your legacy. - Leonard Sweet

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BeVonk! View Post
    This is what gets me worked up ... companies selling their development stuff to people locked into 24 month contracts. Why the hell must we be burdended with Microsoft's problems? Why should we fund their effort to build a competing mobile OS over the next X number of years? Why do people fall for this?
    Because of marketing and hype.
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

If MS was completely new to this I might have had some sympathy but they've been in this game longer than anyone ... since Windows CE. They never get out of this try and fail cycle. How on earth can they expect people to buy into their mobile ecosystem?
    What you do is your history. What you set in motion is your legacy. - Leonard Sweet

Consumers keep on burning their fingers with MS mobile OS'es ... but still there will be those gullable enough to eat rotten MS mobile pie.

Apple's success is build on a stable ecosystem. That is why they are so successful. Accessories work for years. With MS you never know where you stand and will end up so investment in any accessories is an absolute no-no.

Blog Entries

Apple's success is build on a stable ecosystem. That is why they are so successful. Accessories work for years. With MS you never know where you stand and will end up so investment in any accessories is an absolute no-no.
    On that note, I just can not wait for dam OEM's to push Airplay aka Android@home out.

They taking forever to find uses for their dam Arduino boards as well

Edit: then again, with only 5% of the handset/tablets on ICS maybe the slow push is understandable.
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Elimentals View Post
    Edit: then again, with only 5% of the handset/tablets on ICS maybe the slow push is understandable.
    The very slow roll-out of ICS by Samsung is driving me nuts.

Consumers keep on burning their fingers with MS mobile OS'es ... but still there will be those gullable enough to eat rotten MS mobile pie.
    Double post much?
    How do you explain that i still use a WP7 (and have 5) and have not moved to a different platform? There must be some reason.
    There also must be some reason why my fiance said "i cant use this laggy crap" when I told her to play with a competing device recently in a cell shop (no I'm not going to mention which phone, but it was a flagship).

You fail to realize that WP7 is EXACTLY what some people want.

EDIT: before you think of it, don't try spin the whole "you wouldnt have 5 phones if it was descent". It's got nothing to do with that. My point is that I am still strongly loving the platform, and have had every opportunity to move to another one.

Good for you roguemat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nduimiso View Post
    http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0

I knew WP was missing a few features but this is really bad
    Sounds like an extract from the transcript from a conversation between 2 toddlers on a playground.

Quote Originally Posted by roguemat View Post
    Erm, where did you read that? The only thing they have made clear is that WP7 apps will work just fine on WP8.
    Every time I read this forum I wonder what version of the internet some people have.
    Btw the same Internet as you, just read maybe a little more than you

They have already phased out Silverlight everywhere else except WP7; by implementing WP8 on a Windows 8 base implies that they want to achieve a common foundation between the two.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_p...-sdk-pt-2.aspx

We’ve also heard some developers express concern about the long term future of Silverlight for Windows Phone. Please don’t panic; XAML and C#/VB.NET development in Windows 8 can be viewed as a direct evolution from today’s Silverlight. All of your managed programming skills are transferrable to building applications for Windows 8, and in many cases, much of your code will be transferrable as well. Note that when targeting a tablet vs. a phone, you do of course, need to design user experiences that are appropriately tailored to each device.
    Larry Lieberman (Microsoft WP8) clearly implies this is the end of the road for Silverlight, even though backward compatibility will be maintained, it is not the road ahead.

Hence the Windows 8 development does not involve Silverlight at all, and hence I reached the same conclusion for WP8 including the conclusion that the Apps would need to be redeveloped to take advantage of this new platform (he says as much in his blog posting )
    Last edited by [)roi(]; 14-05-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    The best path to Ockham's razor is not with over zealous use of his broom

Quote Originally Posted by [)roi(] View Post
    Btw the same Internet as you, just read maybe a little more than you

They have already phased out Silverlight everywhere else except WP7; by implementing WP8 on a Windows 8 base implies that they want to achieve a common foundation between the two.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_p...-sdk-pt-2.aspx

Larry Lieberman (Microsoft WP8) clearly implies this is the end of the road for Silverlight, even though backward compatibility will be maintained, it is not the road ahead.

Hence the Windows 8 development does not involve Silverlight at all, and hence I reached the same conclusion for WP8 including the conclusion that the Apps would need to be redeveloped to take advantage of this new platform (he says as much in his blog posting )
    You missed what we were talking about. I was simply saying that WP7 apps will run on WP8. And they will. Without a doubt. Ofcourse it's not the road ahead, but we are talking about simple compatibility, not whether that will be the main way to dev apps on WP8.

What you are talking about is a whole other topic...And yeah, they are phasing SL out, but XAML is essentially the same. I am using XAML with the W8 dev I am doing now, and I feel very at home. Just gotta work around a few API changes.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast