Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Does MTN store location information

Default Does MTN store location information

Hi,

I'm just looking at this article and wondering if this is true. Here is a snippet from the article:

The one-page document from the Justice Department's cybercrime division shows, for instance, that Verizon Wireless keeps, for a year, information about which cell towers subscriber phones connect to. That data that can be used to figure out where the phone has been, down to the level of a neighborhood. AT&T has kept the same data continuously since July 2008.

This is the article : http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...s-report-says/

Eventhough this is Verizon, do MTN also store location info?
    I know location info (cellid) is stored when the subscriber makes a call but i didn't think MTN were storing location info (cellid) when the phone was in passive mode.
    If true, then MTN can basically say where you were for the last however long they keep your records for.

Is that true?

Does this not contravene anti-cyber laws and privacy protection?

RICA and Electronic Communications Act (Lawful Interception, or something like that) says they must...
    ELO: Here is the news...

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

So yeah, leave your phone at home for that job:-P

Quote Originally Posted by solart View Post
    Eventhough this is Verizon, do MTN also store location info?
    I know location info (cellid) is stored when the subscriber makes a call but i didn't think MTN were storing location info (cellid) when the phone was in passive mode.
    If true, then MTN can basically say where you were for the last however long they keep your records for.

Is that true?

Does this not contravene anti-cyber laws and privacy protection?
    Yes they do store the information. Not sure how long for.

Yes that is true.

No. They are required by law to keep the information and you can only gain access to it with a court order.

If I recall correctly the murder case of Brett Goldin & Richard Bloom relied heavily on this location data and the judge still commended who ever it was for their good work wrt this. They tracked the movement of their phones as well as that of the perpetrators and also used their call records against them.
    Last edited by ponder; 16-05-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem