Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Average water consumption for a household

Default Average water consumption for a household

I dont know if we are being scre88ed or what, but that past 3 months I get this very high water bills, and together with fines for too much water used. I checked my meter too, and from what I can figure, they do read the meter, because the calculations is right. According to the meter, I use 45 kiloliter per month, and thats the first time the past 3 months that we "use" so much water.

I checked, when no water is running inside the house, the meter stands still too, so there cant be water thats leaking. My wife wash clothes every second day, a bundle or 2, and we dont even water the pot plants anymore, no car washing, garden watering, nothing. So we just use water for washing clothes, bath (we do not have a shower), dishes, and coffee.

I dont mind paying all the fines (R700 fine this month), if we really uses it. But it doesn't makes sense.

We use 45kl per month as well. 4 ppl in house... Pool, bit of garden watering.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    We use 45kl per month as well. 4 ppl in house... Pool, bit of garden watering.
    Forgot to mention, we're also 4, me my wife and 2 kids(1 yr and 3 yr). But you see thats what gets me, you say you water the garden too, and top up your pool. We do nothing with our water, other than essential household use. I cant understand this.

Average 22kl per month.
    Wife and I, 4 teenagers (2 mine, 1 foster, 1 exchange student).
    Plenty of washing!!!! 13kg top loader...
    Pool and Garden
    ELO: Here is the news...

time to start peeing on those plants

or what my dad does is he takes the backwash water from the pool pump and pours it in the garden.

if you really want to get icky about it you can use your bath tub water for toiler water to flush with.
    #YoloInternet

How long did you stand and check your water usage for?
    I would suggest turn all water off, check the meter, leave the house for 2 or more hours then check it when you get back.

Also, get a shower

I think what I'll do is to take the reading in the morning when cleaner isn't here, then take it again when we get home. I can for the life of me think where the water goes.

you could have an underground leak anywhere... I've found a few.
    Each bath is 200l or so... it adds up quickly. Seriously, get a showerhead attachment for your tap, install a curtain, and start saving bigtime.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post
    Also, get a shower
    +1
    A half filled bath can use up to 100 litres quite easily (depends on the size of the bath).
    If you're bathing 4 bodies and using clean water each time it could be 400 litres per day or 12 kilo litres per month.
    Share the bath water or bath the kids once a week.
    A hand held shower in the bath will do wonders because arms will get tired and hence the shower time will stay short.

45 kilo litres isn't that bad for a family of four though.
    My wife and I use about 15 to 30 kL per month with a little bit of watering in the garden to keep the plants alive.

Blog Entries

Average 16kl per month - in winter
    Average 160kl per month - in summer
    Wife and I, 1 son & domestic
    Pool and Garden

Grandmaster

I have checked my records for water consumption over the past 24 years. Maximum family size 5. Maximum average during year (March to February) 26kL. Present average for 2 people 10kL.

In my rented property I allow 5kL per person, and on only 2 occasions have the tenants had to pay extra.

I should point out that my family was used to saving water as we were limited to 400L per day in Natal in the 80's.

40kL for 4 people in my view is excessive, or there is a leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    I have checked my records for water consumption over the past 24 years. Maximum family size 5. Maximum average during year (March to February) 26kL. Present average for 2 people 10kL.

In my rented property I allow 5kL per person, and on only 2 occasions have the tenants had to pay extra.

I should point out that my family was used to saving water as we were limited to 400L per day in Natal in the 80's.

40kL for 4 people in my view is excessive, or there is a leak.
    I agree with you. I was upset this morning when my monthly utilities bill arrived and I saw 22kl of water was used.... (6 in house, with pool and garden).
    ELO: Here is the news...

Last month was 21kl @ R334. The most we have used is apparently 41kl, maybe the meter reader needs a new set of specs.
    4 people, average garden, no swimming pool, 1 bath, 1 shower.
    Last edited by Captain Beer; 17-05-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    Intel 486 DX2 66MHz
    16MB RAM (4x4MB)
    Tseng 4000 1MB 256
    512MB HDD
    Creative Sound Blaster 16
    Creative Quad Speed CD-ROM
    14" Tatung VGA 800x600
    Windows 95

Last month 8 Kl. 2 people in house. No baths, only showers. Low flow shower-heads. Overnight guests 3/4 times a month. Pretty much is around this level all year.