Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: METER MATE - Ridiculous Prepaid Electricity Charges

  1. #1

    Default METER MATE - Ridiculous Prepaid Electricity Charges

    We have prepaid electricity meters from Meter Mate. This week they increased prepaid electricity prices from R1.40/kwh to R2.60 /kwh (75% increase). When I asked them about the price increase they said COJ municipality set the prices. I don't really believe that COJ would ever just increase the rate by 75% over night. We live in a radius of 20km from central Johannesburg and people living in surrounding areas pay less than R 1 /kwh.

    Any suggestions on how to get rid of these ridiculously high prices from Meter Mate?

  2. #2
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Putting the tor in Pretoria
    Posts
    1,542

    Default

    That's a massive increase!

    From my understanding, Meter Mate sells vouchers to owners/body corporates etc, who then sell the vouchers to the tenants/property owners. Does this sound like you type of scenario? If it is, it may be the middleman trying to make a quick buck.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting f#ck, what a ride!"

  3. #3

    Default

    It seems to be the landlord and the people at Meter Mate robbing us. Not sure what to do about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frikkenator View Post
    That's a massive increase!

    From my understanding, Meter Mate sells vouchers to owners/body corporates etc, who then sell the vouchers to the tenants/property owners. Does this sound like you type of scenario? If it is, it may be the middleman trying to make a quick buck.

  4. #4
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Previously this post ->
    Posts
    30,195

    Default

    AFAIK, by law you cannot profit off the sale of electricity. They can however charge you a management/service fee but this should be stated seperately to the amount of units you are buying.
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

  5. #5

    Default

    When we purchase electricity, it does not mention anything about the service charges. Oh and I forgot to say that we were forced to have prepaid meters from "Meter Mate" by our landlord.

  6. #6
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    13,691

    Default

    Check your local by-laws. It's illegal in Cape Town. There might also be something in the electricity act about it. If it appears illegal, then can make waves, move or do nothing.

  7. #7
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Previously this post ->
    Posts
    30,195

    Default

    Was there anything in your lease agreement about the meter?

  8. #8

    Default

    How much electricity do you use? Not sure if its true but its been happening to my GF parents in jhb where they are charged more per unit of electricity the more they use in a month. So like you they would spend about R500 to get 400 units of electricity, but if they went with the same R500 3 weeks later in the same month they would only get something like 280 Units. So yeah, check that out as a possibility....

  9. #9
    Super Grandmaster GreyBush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Zululand
    Posts
    5,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pansyfaust View Post
    How much electricity do you use? Not sure if its true but its been happening to my GF parents in jhb where they are charged more per unit of electricity the more they use in a month. So like you they would spend about R500 to get 400 units of electricity, but if they went with the same R500 3 weeks later in the same month they would only get something like 280 Units. So yeah, check that out as a possibility....
    This happens to everyone in the country. Ideally you want to buy electricity so it runs out on the last day of the month and only buy more on the 1st.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doobyscoo View Post
    This happens to everyone in the country. Ideally you want to buy electricity so it runs out on the last day of the month and only buy more on the 1st.
    Does this happen for the rest of the people not on prepaid then?

  11. #11
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    13,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pansyfaust View Post
    Does this happen for the rest of the people not on prepaid then?
    And for water.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •