Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: METER MATE - Ridiculous Prepaid Electricity Charges

Default METER MATE - Ridiculous Prepaid Electricity Charges

We have prepaid electricity meters from Meter Mate. This week they increased prepaid electricity prices from R1.40/kwh to R2.60 /kwh (75% increase). When I asked them about the price increase they said COJ municipality set the prices. I don't really believe that COJ would ever just increase the rate by 75% over night. We live in a radius of 20km from central Johannesburg and people living in surrounding areas pay less than R 1 /kwh.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of these ridiculously high prices from Meter Mate?

Grandmaster

That's a massive increase!

From my understanding, Meter Mate sells vouchers to owners/body corporates etc, who then sell the vouchers to the tenants/property owners. Does this sound like you type of scenario? If it is, it may be the middleman trying to make a quick buck.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting f#ck, what a ride!"

It seems to be the landlord and the people at Meter Mate robbing us. Not sure what to do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frikkenator View Post
    That's a massive increase!

From my understanding, Meter Mate sells vouchers to owners/body corporates etc, who then sell the vouchers to the tenants/property owners. Does this sound like you type of scenario? If it is, it may be the middleman trying to make a quick buck.

Super Grandmaster

AFAIK, by law you cannot profit off the sale of electricity. They can however charge you a management/service fee but this should be stated seperately to the amount of units you are buying.
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

When we purchase electricity, it does not mention anything about the service charges. Oh and I forgot to say that we were forced to have prepaid meters from "Meter Mate" by our landlord.

Super Grandmaster

Check your local by-laws. It's illegal in Cape Town. There might also be something in the electricity act about it. If it appears illegal, then can make waves, move or do nothing.

Super Grandmaster

Was there anything in your lease agreement about the meter?

How much electricity do you use? Not sure if its true but its been happening to my GF parents in jhb where they are charged more per unit of electricity the more they use in a month. So like you they would spend about R500 to get 400 units of electricity, but if they went with the same R500 3 weeks later in the same month they would only get something like 280 Units. So yeah, check that out as a possibility....

Quote Originally Posted by Pansyfaust View Post
    How much electricity do you use? Not sure if its true but its been happening to my GF parents in jhb where they are charged more per unit of electricity the more they use in a month. So like you they would spend about R500 to get 400 units of electricity, but if they went with the same R500 3 weeks later in the same month they would only get something like 280 Units. So yeah, check that out as a possibility....
    This happens to everyone in the country. Ideally you want to buy electricity so it runs out on the last day of the month and only buy more on the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by doobyscoo View Post
    This happens to everyone in the country. Ideally you want to buy electricity so it runs out on the last day of the month and only buy more on the 1st.
    Does this happen for the rest of the people not on prepaid then?

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Pansyfaust View Post
    Does this happen for the rest of the people not on prepaid then?
    And for water.