Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Mweb rejects my request to point dns on my domain to non mweb infrastructure

  1. #1

    Default Mweb rejects my request to point dns on my domain to non mweb infrastructure

    Hi

    I am assisting a client on doing some DNS changes and I got the following reply. Last time I checked my client owns the domain I am pretty sure this is illegal ?

    Good Day

    Be advised that your domain under its current contract (uncapped hosting) does not allow the domain (www or MX) to be pointed to any other server outside of MWEB this also includes PTR , TXT and other records to be added. For more information please contact MWEB sales via email sales@mweb.com or Telephonically: 0860 11 22 52. This information is also available on the sign up forms.


    Regards
    Reza De vos
    MWEB Domain Team
    MWEB Connect (Pty) Ltd
    Phone: +27 860 11 22 52
    Fax: +2721 596 8388
    ofcdomains@mweb.com

  2. #2
    Super Grandmaster bekdik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I exist only in my own mind ...
    Posts
    10,835

    Default

    Don't like Mweb's rules?

    Change your ISP, no brainer.
    You only get one chance to piss off a client. After that they are an ex client ...

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bekdik View Post
    Don't like Mweb's rules?

    Change your ISP, no brainer.

    Yeh already did that in the process of moving everything of my client away from mweb and notified all my clients of this.

    My question still stands is it legal to prevent you from changing a record on a domain you own as there is no technical reason whatsoever that justify this ? Im not 100% sure but I think this is against international ICT laws as well ...
    Last edited by GoofySmurf; 29-05-2012 at 02:17 PM.

  4. #4

    Default

    Did they pay for the domain seperately or was it granted them as part of an uncapped ADSL package for instance?
    www.domaincheap.co.za
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsyWulf View Post
    Did they pay for the domain seperately or was it granted them as part of an uncapped ADSL package for instance?
    Everything was included in their uncapped hosting in the following link, I can still not find where they mention this in the terms and conditions.

    http://www.mweb.co.za/productspricin...edhosting.aspx

  6. #6

    Default

    So they bought the uncapped hosting package directly
    www.domaincheap.co.za
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance

  7. #7
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Previously this post ->
    Posts
    30,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoofySmurf View Post
    Everything was included in their uncapped hosting in the following link, I can still not find where they mention this in the terms and conditions.

    http://www.mweb.co.za/productspricin...edhosting.aspx
    Not this?

    4.1.7 In the event that any of the Registrars amends, suspends or terminates its provision of the Domain Services or any other aspect of its services upon which MWEB depends for the provision of the Domain Service, MWEB will use reasonable endeavours to ensure the continuance of the Domain Service. If MWEB is unable to ensure such continuance under any circumstances MWEB shall be entitled to terminate the Domain Service with immediate effect in which event, Customer agrees that MWEB will not be liable to Customer or any other third party for any loss or damages incurred by Customer or by any third party arising from, or in any way relating to, the termination of the Domain Service.
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

  8. #8

    Default

    Yes indeed they did, the following documents is the only documents that are provided under the signup process and I cannot find anything regarding the restriction of DNS record changes.

    http://www.mweb.co.za/legalpolicies/...edHosting.aspx
    http://www.mweb.co.za/productspricin...ed-Hosting.pdf
    http://www.mweb.co.za/productspricin...edhosting.aspx

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fudzy View Post
    Not this?
    Thanks for the reply but it still doesnt cover the changing of DNS records it just covers the registrar's suspension etc as far as I can tell.

  10. #10
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    13,552

    Default

    Is the domain registered to MWeb? It's very dangerous to do that because in terms of the domain ownership rules whoever's name is on the registration is considered the owner, which can complicate things if they decide to get difficult.

    Even if the domain was part of a hosting package it would be unreasonable for MWeb to refuse to allow you to move the domain elsewhere. This is a good reason to never have anyone, but you listed as the contacts for the domain. Then you don't have to deal with this kind of thing.

  11. #11
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Previously this post ->
    Posts
    30,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noxibox View Post
    Is the domain registered to MWeb? It's very dangerous to do that because in terms of the domain ownership rules whoever's name is on the registration is considered the owner, which can complicate things if they decide to get difficult.

    Even if the domain was part of a hosting package it would be unreasonable for MWeb to refuse to allow you to move the domain elsewhere. This is a good reason to never have anyone, but you listed as the contacts for the domain. Then you don't have to deal with this kind of thing.
    Assuming there is some sort of ownership hierarchy is it then:

    Registrar
    Registrant
    Admin
    Tec?
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoofySmurf View Post
    Hi

    I am assisting a client on doing some DNS changes and I got the following reply. Last time I checked my client owns the domain I am pretty sure this is illegal ?

    Good Day

    Be advised that your domain under its current contract (uncapped hosting) does not allow the domain (www or MX) to be pointed to any other server outside of MWEB this also includes PTR , TXT and other records to be added. For more information please contact MWEB sales via email sales@mweb.com or Telephonically: 0860 11 22 52. This information is also available on the sign up forms.


    Regards
    Reza De vos
    MWEB Domain Team
    MWEB Connect (Pty) Ltd
    Phone: +27 860 11 22 52
    Fax: +2721 596 8388
    ofcdomains@mweb.com
    Hi GoofySmurf

    Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

    I have arranged for a consultant to contact you regarding the query.

  13. #13
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    13,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fudzy View Post
    Assuming there is some sort of ownership hierarchy is it then:

    Registrar
    Registrant
    Admin
    Tec?
    I'd consider in whose name it is registered important, but the problem with having anyone else's contact details in any of the fields is that they can choose to deny changes. It only takes one to prevent a change.

    The thing is how is a registrar supposed to know who really owns a domain other than by looking at the registrant?

Similar Threads

  1. Mweb domain transfer help
    By riaan199 in forum Hosting and Cloud Computing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 04:11 PM
  2. Ping Request From MWEB Users
    By Reelix in forum ADSL Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-01-2012, 11:57 AM
  3. Mweb infrastructure change...
    By DUDE!@##$%% in forum ADSL Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 11:35 AM
  4. Mweb BAN at what point?
    By Fader4 in forum ADSL ISP Discussions
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 12:05 AM
  5. Mweb forgets to Pay domain name
    By WickedWeasel in forum Broadband and IT News
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-12-2006, 10:38 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •