Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pirated software used by over 50 percent of computers

Default Pirated software used by over 50 percent of computers

Pirated software used by over half of the world

Pirated software is used by more than 50 percent of computer users...
    ლ(ಠ_ಠ )ლ

yay.

Time to rethink those business models.

Grandmaster

“This year’s survey finds that frequent pirates — people who admit they acquire unlicensed software all of the time, most of the time, or occasionally — also are the most voracious software users,” said the BSA report. “They report installing 55 percent more programs of all types on their computers than do non-pirates. This gives them an outsized impact on the global piracy rate.”
    Leaving the Microsoft OS's out of the equation I wonder what percentage of the software that "frequent pirates" install is productively used?

Pirated software used by over 50 percent of computers
    Very irresponsible computers!!!
    Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger

I honestly wonder what would happen if the prices of software and OS's is lowered to prices most people can easily afford like windows for example, would people actually purchase it legally, or will people continue to download it just because they can.

Blog Entries

Almost all the software on my PC is "pirated" ie: downloaded from the internet for free, some was by using torrents

Only one small problem, their licences said I could (GPL)
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

If something can be replicated, it's value naturally decreases. The more of something you make, the less each copy of that item is worth.

Microsoft is allowing it's operating systems to be downloaded for nothing as a trial. I can install that trial for x days and it is still legal software. The only annoyance would be to reload my PC every X days or find a work around that resets the trial. The software in it's trial form is still legal.

Grandmaster

TBH I still think that windows price is out of reach for most! Im still running fake windows on my desktop PC, laptops etc are legit, and dont get me wrong its not that i haven't thought about buy windows! It just when you see the R800 and upwards price for it that i know that my money will be used else where! As a student that's just to much!

Once i get a job i guess ill most likely buy it!
    http://www.domaincheap.co.za
    Please signup to Dropbox with my referral! Greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Freaksta View Post
    TBH I still think that windows price is out of reach for most! Im still running fake windows on my desktop PC, laptops etc are legit, and dont get me wrong its not that i haven't thought about buy windows! It just when you see the R800 and upwards price for it that i know that my money will be used else where! As a student that's just to much!

Once i get a job i guess ill most likely buy it!
    Why not just use linux?
    "Incompetent individuals fail to recognize genuine skill in others."

Grandmaster

(I'm just full of questions today.)

Can someone explain to me how piracy is "costing the software industry $63.4 billion annually"? (I can understand that they maybe lose out on that amount, due to the software not being purchased, but how is this costing them $63bill odd?)

This growth in piracy is now costing the software industry $63.4 billion annually.
    As long as they keep plucking figures like this out of their arses we need to push that figure even higher.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boerseun View Post
    Why not just use linux?
    +1

Also with Windows 8 previews you could have gone legit and actually do something usefully like send back bug and usage reports.
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by boerseun View Post
    Why not just use linux?
    Never tried it and TBH i don't have an interest in learning something new. Windows works for me. As i said only my desktop PC doesn't have legit windows(as a student i cant justify R800).

Should start my articles next year and windows license will be on my purchase list. It is something ive wanted to buy for some time now but money constraints do sometimes win over having a legit copy of windows on my PC. Its not that i don't want it

EDIT: That being said the last version of legit windows that i have for my PC is MS XP Professional.
    Last edited by Freaksta; 01-06-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    http://www.domaincheap.co.za
    Please signup to Dropbox with my referral! Greatly appreciated!

WHAATT! 50% of people don't use pirated software???

phone apps are a good indicator of making something cheaper and getting many more users. Not saying that windows should be R8.65 but it does make it worthwhile not to pirate. people pirate because it is just the cheaper thing to do and the cost-vs-benefit is low.

Software companies try to make the cost of piracy higher by prosecuting offenders, but it doesn't work well. They need to find other ways to motivate people not to pirate rather than punish them for pirating.

I use linux and windows (legit), and as more of my computers expire I just use linux on the new one. Linux isn't better in ease of use, for sure, but it is free of cost-to-purchase and unlawful use.

I also boot into a slimmed-down version of windows on my desktop to play games, and will completely drop windows when WinE gets more compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
    Very irresponsible computers!!!
    You took the words out of my mouth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast