Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast

Thread: MTN 3G Coverage Map

Default MTN 3G Coverage Map

I got myself a new HSDPA card (Fastlink) and contract based on 3G coverage as per the MTN coverage map (http://www.mtn.co.za/default.aspx?pid=11789).

This map indicates that my area (Hennopspark, Centurion) is well covered with a 95% "signal available" rating where I stay. In reality I have zero 3G reception anywhere on my property (inside and outside). I even drove around with my laptop to test for 3G signal at verious spots in the area and where I got reception it was very weak (1 bar max for short periods).

I phoned the MTN data help desk (5551) but got nowhere with them. I complained on hellopeter.com and was told that their maps are accurate but that they will come back to me. Hasn't happened yet - and the map is obviously not accurate.

My 3G reception is perfect in Midrand (where I work) so there is nothing wrong with my card or settings.

Do these guys know what they're doing?! I'm not impressed.

BTW my company Vodacom HSDPA card works great at home.

My area also shows 3G coverage.
    However my 3G/HSDPA signal is very weak. (0 bars on the E620 control program display)
    My GPRS/EDGE signal is quite strong. (5 bars on the E620 control program display)

When I set my E620 card to "3G prefered", I it normally uses the GPRS/EDGE signal. I normally only locks onto the 3G signal when I set it to "3G only".

I actually found that the data transfer rates that I get is better with a strong GPRS/EDGE signal, than a weak 3G/HSDPA signal

The MTN coverage map, only states that there is a 95% signal probility. Thre is no indication of the signal strength.

I'm wondering if an extra antennae could help - but I don't want to spend more money just to discover its not working either. The extra antennae that came bundled with the Vodacom HSDPA card doesn't seem to improve the Vodacom 3G signal at all. Does anyone have a specific antennae recommendation that will work with the MTN F@stLink E620 card?

Quote Originally Posted by Trafeye
    The extra antennae that came bundled with the Vodacom HSDPA card doesn't seem to improve the Vodacom 3G signal at all.
    Trafeye, the antenna may appear not to improve the signal due to no increase on the bars received. However, it has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum that it definitely makes for a more stable connection due to an improved uplink when using the antenna.
    Last edited by 3g_rox; 22-06-2006 at 07:26 AM.

Default What happenned to the coverage map?

I got myself a new HSDPA card (Fastlink) and contract based on 3G coverage as per the MTN coverage map (http://www.mtn.co.za/default.aspx?pid=11789).
    The above link only takes you to the MTN home page.

Where is the coverage map, where you could zoom in up to street level?

Or, did MTN withdraw it due to all the inaccuracies?

Quote Originally Posted by zaphod
    The above link only takes you to the MTN home page.

Where is the coverage map, where you could zoom in up to street level?

Or, did MTN withdraw it due to all the inaccuracies?

Zaphod, try http://www.mtn.co.za/?pid=11789&mid=7978#

As for the inaccuracies, well, lets not go there....

The map has been updated to show HSDPA coverage as well.
    PS, UMTS/HSDPA (WCDMA) operates on the 2100Mhz frequency. This radio frequency has poor wall penetrating properties.
    The coverage map does show 95% coverage with an annotation - OUTDOOR coverage.

That map asumes the world is flat - which it isn't. The effect of topography is not reflected on this very basic map. Be careful. I've just been through a mapping exercise with MTN's network quality guys in my area and it's shocking to see how the detailed map differs from this online one. I had to cancel my data bundle as we could get no 3G signal in my area - and there will be none for some time to come - although this online map is blue (HSDPA) for my area. I have asked MTN to add a warning to the map to tell prospective clients of the "topography problem" that causes dead spots in some areas.

This map indicates that my area (Hennopspark, Centurion) is well covered with a 95% "signal available" rating where I stay. In reality I have zero 3G reception anywhere on my property (inside and outside). I even drove around with my laptop to test for 3G signal at verious spots in the area and where I got reception it was very weak (1 bar max for short periods).

I phoned the MTN data help desk (5551) but got nowhere with them. I complained on hellopeter.com and was told that their maps are accurate but that they will come back to me. Hasn't happened yet - and the map is obviously not accurate.

My 3G reception is perfect in Midrand (where I work) so there is nothing wrong with my card or settings.

Do these guys know what they're doing?! I'm not impressed.

BTW my company Vodacom HSDPA card works great at home.

Good day,

Trafeye

Could you please PM me your details so that I can investigate and provide you with feedback. I do apologize for the lack of satisfaction thus far and I'll try my best to get you an answer

Thanks

MTN DD

Hi all

The HSDPA coverage layer has been included in the public coverage map.

The 3G and 2G layers will be updated soon.

Please give feedback if you notice significant errors in the data.

Were trying to speed up the coverage drill down using the icon in HSDPDA areas.

Quote Originally Posted by MTN_Data_Dude
    Good day,

Trafeye

Could you please PM me your details so that I can investigate and provide you with feedback. I do apologize for the lack of satisfaction thus far and I'll try my best to get you an answer

Thanks

MTN DD
    Have done so thanx MTN DD.

Have done so thanx MTN DD.
    Thanks for your info I'll provide you with feedback ASAP

MTN DD

Ive just checked out the coverage map.

Do you still think I will be able to use my 3G phone in Parow and Brackenfell before my contract expires April 2007? If not, I think I should rather wait till my 4 contracts expire and sign up with Vodacom.

MTN is going nowhere.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE - 4-Oct-13
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - 9-Nov-14
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini - 13-Feb-14
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" - 1-Sept-14

Quote Originally Posted by Piesang

Do you still think I will be able to use my 3G phone in Parow and Brackenfell before my contract expires April 2007? If not, I think I should rather wait till my 4 contracts expire and sign up with Vodacom.

MTN is going nowhere.

Here is the official reply

Hi Clive,

I think you can tell him not to cancel, as we are well underway with our rollout (for now). Phase two should be completed be the end of March, 2007. Hell have at least a month before his contracts expires. J

Im sorry it took so long for this reply, but I was waiting for additional info. It is apparent that the Bellville/ Parrow Cluster is marked priority 3, after Sea-Point and Observatory. The surveys and preparations for these sites have been done according to the priority list, and Ericsson will be implementing and activating accordingly. As I said, no promises, yet.

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Piesang

MTN is going nowhere.
    I cant agree with you more. I got my 3G handset in May last year through MTN contract. I then called MTN to enquire about using 3G in the Bellville area. They told me that 3G will be available before the end of the year (2005). Its now a year later but I still cant access 3G in Bellville!!!

In April this year I called MTN again (1555) and also made an enquiry through the MTN website about 3G availability in Bellville! Someone from MTN Joburg called me to confirm my quey and gave me the Ref number. I later got an SMS from MTN saying: "Good day, 3G should be available by the end of this year. Pls also note that this is only a forcasted date and not definite" I quote!!!

So, I cannot wait to get the N92 on Vodacom Business contract as soon as it's out!! I'm fed up with MTN!!! What really piss me off is that all Vodacom subscribers in Bellville can access 3G whereas I cant!!!

Pissed

EliasMH

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast