Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Advice needed on Cellvine (Vodacom) repeater

Grandmaster

Default Advice needed on Cellvine (Vodacom) repeater

Vodacom kindly installed one of their Cellvine repeaters (boosters) because I live in a very poor signal area.

I recently had to move it, and suddenly began to doubt whether I had the cables in the right sockets! Can someone please confirm that the socket marked BASE takes the input from the external antenna on my roof, and the socket marked MOBILE takes the cable going to the supplied square transmitter unit which rebroadcasts the (boosted) signal? Thanks!

Also, does anyone know of an easily available DC to DC converter which would allow me to run the unit directly off my 12-volt system? The supplied power brick converts 220v to the required 7.5v at max. 5 Amps. I'm currently having to run it through an inverter from my solar-power system, which makes it a very power-hungry beast indeed, so ideally I need to run it directly off my 12v battery bank.
    Last edited by Terencek; 06-06-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by Terencek View Post
    Also, does anyone know of an easily available DC to DC converter which would allow me to run the unit directly off my 12-volt system? The supplied power brick converts 220v to the required 7.5v at max. 5 Amps. I'm currently having to run it through an inverter from my solar-power system, which makes it a very power-hungry beast indeed, so ideally I need to run it directly off my 12v battery bank.
    Try these guys:
    http://www.mantech.co.za/

Can someone please confirm that the socket marked BASE takes the input from the external antenna on my roof, and the socket marked MOBILE takes the cable going to the supplied square transmitter unit which rebroadcasts the (boosted) signal? Thanks!
    Correct. However, I am afraid you need to contact Vodacom and request to re-install device in your new place. If you do it by yourself, it can oscilate and cause havoc for the tower. Think about cancer risk as well when transmitters are running wild at full power.
    Besides repeater and antenna is not your property, it still belongs to Vodacom.

Grandmaster

Hey, a bit heavy-duty dude! I moved it 20 centimetres to the left in the cupboard where it was installed! For which I had to disconnect the two antenna cables and then couldn't remember which went where..... So lock me up already :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    Correct. However, I am afraid you need to contact Vodacom and request to re-install device in your new place. If you do it by yourself, it can oscilate and cause havoc for the tower. Think about cancer risk as well when transmitters are running wild at full power.
    Besides repeater and antenna is not your property, it still belongs to Vodacom.
    Think about cancer risk as well when transmitters are running wild at full power <- LMAO. Our mobile operators are already running wild.

Hey, a bit heavy-duty dude! I moved it 20 centimetres to the left in the cupboard where it was installed! For which I had to disconnect the two antenna cables and then couldn't remember which went where..... So lock me up already :-)
    Well, you are immune, sure.
    Just make sure to not change position of the both atennas, this is critical.