Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Samsung S3 vs HTC One X (only talking sub pixel screen quality only)

Blog Entries

Default Samsung S3 vs HTC One X (only talking sub pixel screen quality only)

if one of your "must haves" is a top quality screen, then read on. If you dont care, dont read on

right, so Ive already spent quality time on the HTC One X. Fantastic device. As an iPhone 4 user myself (currently that is) I was most impressed by the screen, more importantly the 312 PPI pixel density. This is always something I look at on a phone, as for me, this is one of the biggest items as I have 326PPI pixel density.

No one can argue that the iPhone retina display is SHARP, so anything less and it really stands out for me like a sore thumb!

We all saw the specs, and we all saw the S3 was gonna have 306 PPI pixel density. I was like cool, that is only 6 less than the HTC One X, no issues there! Boy was I wrong... Let me explain...

Today I held the S3 for the first time. It felt really good in my hand. I was impressed right away. I brought it out of sleep mode, and right away I noticed the screen quality was hardly what I was expecting. It's grainy, compared to the HTC One X. I couldnt understand it.. So I did some googling around and now I know why.

The Samsung Galaxy S III packs a 4.8" Super AMOLED screen of 720p resolution, while the HTC One X uses a 4.7" IPS LCD2 screen of 720p resolution.

The pixel density is virtually identical - 306ppi vs. 312ppi - but if you consider the subpixel density - 612 vs. 936 - the difference seems bigger. The reason for that is Super AMOLED technology uses a PenTile matrix with two - not three - subpixels per pixel.
    I dug deeper into the technology and how the two different screens work, and it made more sense. PenTile matrix vs the more traditional RGB screen.

For me this was a deal breaker, and I have decided to go with the HTC One X. Most people arent fussy like me though, but if you coming from a iPhone, you gonna notice the grainy screen and that would drive me nuts.

google around and you will see that a lot of people are not too happy with the screen, I think a lot of people expected more. Perhaps the S3's Achilles heel? maybe who knows

each to their own I guess, so use it or dont use it!

Last edited by techead; 15-06-2012 at 12:04 AM.
    sigh

Blog Entries

From everything I have seen in all the reviews it really seems like the HTC One X is this years SGS2

As for screen quality that's one of the reasons I went Xperia S, can not argue with 342 ppi
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elimentals View Post
    From everything I have seen in all the reviews it really seems like the HTC One X is this years SGS2

As for screen quality that's one of the reasons I went Xperia S, can not argue with 342 ppi
    and thats RGB not this pentile cr@p

good choice btw

edit : that dual core must be lagging something horrid
    sigh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techead View Post
    edit : that dual core must be lagging something horrid
    LOL, Nope, in fact its a very smooth experience, only problem is its not MIUI so its in the draw till I can flash it, so its even worse as I am on my HTC Desire HD till then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elimentals View Post
    LOL, Nope, in fact its a very smooth experience, only problem is its not MIUI so its in the draw till I can flash it, so its even worse as I am on my HTC Desire HD till then.
    nah dude im only janking your chain. dual core is more than enough, Android isnt even optimised properly for 4 cores. Or so they are saying.

MIUI?? heh??
    sigh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techead View Post
    MIUI?? heh??
    Old review http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/...through-guide/

That was still the gingerbread version, MIUIv4 is waaaaaaay better. only problem is once you get use to it everything else sucks. Then again I wonder if its not because it adds some of the iOS things I got use to on my iPhones before I went Android.