Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Opera Mini has 3G BIS speeds but everything else doesn't.

Default Opera Mini has 3G BIS speeds but everything else doesn't.

So I started using Opera Mini yesterday and noticed that even though I've reached my BIS limit (100mb), I seem to get 3G speeds. The downloads always fail on 5mb but puasing for about 10 seconds every 4.9 mb seems to fix that. I know it's not using TCP becuase I'm a prepaid customer and I currently have nothing in my airtime balance. Does anyone else also notice this? And can someone explain this?

Quote Originally Posted by DVTeixera View Post
    So I started using Opera Mini yesterday and noticed that even though I've reached my BIS limit (100mb), I seem to get 3G speeds. The downloads always fail on 5mb but puasing for about 10 seconds every 4.9 mb seems to fix that. I know it's not using TCP becuase I'm a prepaid customer and I currently have nothing in my airtime balance. Does anyone else also notice this? And can someone explain this?
    100mb limit? Never heard of this before.

The downloads, from which site(s) is this?

Quote Originally Posted by jannievanzyl View Post
    100mb limit? Never heard of this before.

The downloads, from which site(s) is this?
    I've read loads about a 100mb "cap". And the downloads are from loads of different websites. It's weird becuase, if Opera Mini and the BlackBerry browser are both using the same apn, shouldn't they both get the same speeds?

UC Browser and BlackBerry browser both reflect the same extremely slow, slower than 2G speeds, but Opera is just a breeze.

I've read loads about a 100mb "cap".
    Not on Vodacom.
    And the downloads are from loads of different websites.
    What are you downloading?

I've read loads about a 100mb "cap". And the downloads are from loads of different websites. It's weird becuase, if Opera Mini and the BlackBerry browser are both using the same apn, shouldn't they both get the same speeds?

UC Browser and BlackBerry browser both reflect the same extremely slow, slower than 2G speeds, but Opera is just a breeze.
    It sounds like Opera Mini might be utilising the normal "internet" APN....this could pose a problem as you will be charged for data usage on this APN. Please PM me your number so that I may check if you have been charged for data usage this month.
    I don't pay taxes, I pay royalties
    Pieter Dirk Uys

Quote Originally Posted by ocleroux View Post
    It sounds like Opera Mini might be utilising the normal "internet" APN....this could pose a problem as you will be charged for data usage on this APN. Please PM me your number so that I may check if you have been charged for data usage this month.
    I can't be if I'm on prepaid?

And I guess we can't believe everything we read on the internet. http://www.techcentral.co.za/vodacom-defends-blackberry-throttling/25845/

I moved to 8ta yesterday. Much better. Just saying...

I can't be if I'm on prepaid?

And I guess we can't believe everything we read on the internet. http://www.techcentral.co.za/vodacom...ottling/25845/
    No, you can't.

I moved to 8ta yesterday. Much better. Just saying...
    OK, no problem. At some point 8ta will also limit access to download sites.

Quote Originally Posted by ocleroux View Post
    No, it's actually pretty simple. As reported on myBB a few times, we put all these download sites like fztvseries and others on a low priority so normal BIS usage gets first access, including Opera Mini, BBM, etc..

Those people who insist on downloading Gigs of movies and songs must now just wait behind the real BIS users who will always be my first priority to keep happy. For too long a few inconsiderate people abused the service stuffing it up for everyone else. Fortunately no more.

As I said, pretty simple.
    Last edited by jannievanzyl; 20-06-2012 at 12:08 AM.

I think these guys who download movies, music and whatever else on the bis network should be kicked off.
    Surely this is bordering on the fraudulent behaviour?

Quote Originally Posted by marine1 View Post
    I think these guys who download movies, music and whatever else on the bis network should be kicked off.
    Surely this is bordering on the fraudulent behaviour?
    At this point intime we're still being nice to them, just putting them last in the queue. But it might change.

No, it's actually pretty simple. As reported on myBB a few times, we put all these download sites like fztvseries and others on a low priority so normal BIS usage gets first access, including Opera Mini, BBM, etc..

Those people who insist on downloading Gigs of movies and songs must now just wait behind the real BIS users who will always be my first priority to keep happy. For too long a few inconsiderate people abused the service stuffing it up for everyone else. Fortunately no more.

Sorry meneer. I did not seem to have read the post carefully enough...if I did I would have noticed he was downloading and not browsing. Somehow I thought he was talking that browsing is a lot faster on Opera..hence I thought Opera might have switched over to the internet APN....which in itself would have been weird cause when I was on BB my Opera used BIS just fine.

Sorry.
    I don't pay taxes, I pay royalties
    Pieter Dirk Uys

Okay, I wasn't reffering to movies, music or TV series. I was talking about downloading BlackBerry dev tools (like simulators and that stuff). From their website.

And I guess that would explain how email attachments went so fast.