Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Centurion D3 motor + gate keeps opening

Default Centurion D3 motor + gate keeps opening

Hi

I am trying to figure out why my Centurion D3 motor gates seems to open up randomly on its own. Why I say random is that lets say in the last year I have come home 3 times in the evenings to find the gate wide open and I am the first one home and I know for 100% that the gate was closed when I left

I am trying to eliminate variables and one variable is another remote in close proximity with the same frequency although it wouldnt explain why this doesnt happen all the time. Anyway I want to change the frequency on which my remote and my wifes remote works with the motor gate so if there is another remote out there working on the current frequency then it will stop working

I have downloaded the installation and programming manual for the D3 but cant seem to find out how to change the frequency of the gate motor and reprogram the remotes

Can someone please assist me in doing this if they know how

Thanks
    Mark

Just first check that there are no insects living in or near the receiver unit. This could cause the receiver to randomly activate.

someone in your area could share the same remote code as you , some of the recievers like the 403mhz sentry ones , have dip switches which set the "code" for your gate

You have to reset the controller board totally. The first remote control you then register is the master. You use this master control to setup all future controls. Something like keep button pressed for 2 seconds, then press a button on the next remote, etc, etc.

Pretty basic to reset the controller, but don't have the books with me to check.

--- Do this, but this is just a safety check. The chances of some random person having a control that works on your gate is pretty slim.

Chances are much higher that you have collisions and a potential mis-configuration on your controller board. I struggled a huge amount of time, and spend a lot of money trying to get mine fixed. Finally, in desperation I used a vacuum cleaner and cleaned the unit very, very carefully. Since then, it's been working perfectly.

The thing to check for is collisions and collision sensitivity: Open your gate motor, and check the L1/L2 light. If this is flickering, then chances are pretty high that it has picked up collisions. If this is true, then you can up the sensitivity a bit, but usually you can just reset the whole unit.

--- So to recap.

1. You can't change the frequency of your gate motor. You can reset the remote controls in memory and restart.
    2. Chances are higher that either collision detection of some other config setting is screwing you around.
    3. Play with your gate as far as possible -- I personally haven't found an installer I trust anymore -- Every single one I tried, screwed me around, and the only time the gate works correctly was when I did it myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yotch View Post
    Just first check that there are no insects living in or near the receiver unit. This could cause the receiver to randomly activate.
    came here to post this. Look for Ants.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    came here to post this. Look for Ants.
    Just opened the receiver box. There were some webs and dead spiders which I cleared out. Funny thing is the receiver box beeps (same beep as when you push remote to open the gate) when I move it around, it doesnt open the gate but it does beep

Quote Originally Posted by bin3 View Post

1. You can't change the frequency of your gate motor. You can reset the remote controls in memory and restart.
    2. Chances are higher that either collision detection of some other config setting is screwing you around.
    3. Play with your gate as far as possible -- I personally haven't found an installer I trust anymore -- Every single one I tried, screwed me around, and the only time the gate works correctly was when I did it myself.
    If I cant change the frequency then resetting remotes wont help if someone still has a remote in this frequency range right?

Quote Originally Posted by mbeylis View Post
    If I cant change the frequency then resetting remotes wont help if someone still has a remote in this frequency range right?
    No: It doesn't work that way, mine doesn't anyway.

The controller knows which remotes are allowed to open or close it. All you need to do is tell the controller to forget all the remotes it knows about. The first remote you then register after the reset is the master.

After the reset NO remote control will work until after you have registered the MASTER.

hope this helps a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by bin3 View Post
    No: It doesn't work that way, mine doesn't anyway.

The controller knows which remotes are allowed to open or close it. All you need to do is tell the controller to forget all the remotes it knows about. The first remote you then register after the reset is the master.

After the reset NO remote control will work until after you have registered the MASTER.
    hope this helps a bit.
    Ok, that makes sense

Just need to figure out how to reset and reprogram now

I may be wrong, but doesnt the centurion nova use rolling code transmitters? That would explain an intermittent activation if someone elses remote crossed your code once in a while.

Do you not have autoclose enabled? It wont stop the gate from opening but it wouldnt stand open all day.

Blog Entries

Just opened the receiver box. There were some webs and dead spiders which I cleared out. Funny thing is the receiver box beeps (same beep as when you push remote to open the gate) when I move it around, it doesnt open the gate but it does beep
    rusted wires? water damage?

Have you replaced the fuses?

Quote Originally Posted by etwylite View Post
    I may be wrong, but doesnt the centurion nova use rolling code transmitters? That would explain an intermittent activation if someone elses remote crossed your code once in a while.

Do you not have autoclose enabled? It wont stop the gate from opening but it wouldnt stand open all day.
    That is a very good point about the autoclose. Dont currently have it enabled in case a car is stopped in the gates way as I dont have a sensor installed but in all honesty the liklihood of that is minimal

I will have a look at activating that

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    rusted wires? water damage?

Have you replaced the fuses?
    Nothing looks rusted or wet but am not ruling out water damage

replaced one fuse last year, checked the rest and they all seem fine

The beeps mean something. Most probably it just means that intrusion detection is switched on (alarm is going off due to control box being open).

Second reason could be collisions detected: In this case, you will get a flashing light, probably something like 1 flash every second or so, for up to 4 seconds then the pattern repeats. [This determines how much collision have been detected]

What I do with mine is to disconnect the battery and the mains, wait for all the lights to go off, then reconnect the battery and the mains.

This should reset the controller with regards to collisions and the like, but all your config settings should be safe.

So to recap:

1. The beeps mean something.
    2. Probably not a big thing.
    3. Have you tried switching it off and on again? :-D

There's a guy by the name of justice at centurion motors technical department. Really nice guy. Helped me out when my centurion motor was going bonkers. Www.centsys.co.za

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast