Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S3 versus HTC One X

Default Samsung Galaxy S3 versus HTC One X

Samsung Galaxy S3 vs HTC One X

Two Android heavyweights enter, one superphone leaves

BIAS!!!

1. Beats Audio... really? An EQ gimmick? Then you should not discount the Wolfson DAC in the S3...
    2. Benchmarks... you seem to be the only one having different benchmarks from the web? Every other benchmark review puts the S3 ahead
    3. Keyboard... this is an app fix away. I agree with things that are almost set in stone, like the hardware. but keyboard is just an app.

I'm fond of both these models but there should be some fairness. And build quality/premium feel would have been a valid addition on top of aesthetics

Quote Originally Posted by eshwar View Post
    BIAS!!!
    Opinionated, yes. Perhaps you should cast your browser back to last year when I panned the HTC Sensation in favour of the SGS2.

1. Beats Audio... really? An EQ gimmick? Then you should not discount the Wolfson DAC in the S3...
    Which is why the scorecard is unweighted (units and halves only). Apply multipliers at your own discretion. To be fair I also listed Samsung's gimmicks including motion gestures and SiriSung (ahem, S Voice).

2. Benchmarks... you seem to be the only one having different benchmarks from the web? Every other benchmark review puts the S3 ahead
    Our HTC One X benchmarks were conducted with the newest version of AnTuTu on the latest firmware (1.29) - this could be a factor since we got our devices quite a bit later than some of the larger tech news sites and blogs.

Unfortunately I am unwilling to adjust my results based on what "every other benchmark review" says. We ran multiple benchmarks and averaged them (and the spread isn't big, in case you were wondering, the HTC One X consistently comes out on top).

Keyboard... this is an app fix away. I agree with things that are almost set in stone, like the hardware. but keyboard is just an app.
    Which is why it's listed under software. It is a fairly important piece of software, though, like the dialer or messaging app. Because the glitches in Samsung's gesture input were a frustration I listed it (like I would list USSD the day we do a comparison with Windows Phone).

The One X could just as easily get Vlingo (or a similar app) to compete with S Voice.

I'm fond of both these models but there should be some fairness. And build quality/premium feel would have been a valid addition on top of aesthetics
    Perhaps. That would've just been another point for the HTC One X, though (with perhaps 0.5 subtracted because of the Wi-Fi issue).

Grandmaster

Not biased

If only the oneX has a expandable port I would go for it

Samsung's build quality has always been a concern over the years and it still is

Lets wait for the Razr HD
    Mechrevo X5 - i7-4700QM/GTX860M/8gig DDR1600L/64G SSD Liteon + 1TB 7200/15.6" 1080P LED/ - game the budget way, on the road~

S3 battery endurance rating = 43 hours.
    One x battery endurance rating = 37 hours.

S3 = 1 / One X = 0

Quote Originally Posted by Nameite View Post
    Not biased

If only the oneX has a expandable port I would go for it

Samsung's build quality has always been a concern over the years and it still is

Lets wait for the Razr HD
    Agreed, although htc's build quality has never been awesome either from the phones I've used/tried. Neither of the 2 feels as solid as say the RAZR, or even an iphone. Or the Xperia S for that matter.
    ...if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.

-Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    Opinionated, yes. Perhaps you should cast your browser back to last year when I panned the HTC Sensation in favour of the SGS2.

Which is why the scorecard is unweighted (units and halves only). Apply multipliers at your own discretion. To be fair I also listed Samsung's gimmicks including motion gestures and SiriSung (ahem, S Voice).

Our HTC One X benchmarks were conducted with the newest version of AnTuTu on the latest firmware (1.29) - this could be a factor since we got our devices quite a bit later than some of the larger tech news sites and blogs.

Unfortunately I am unwilling to adjust my results based on what "every other benchmark review" says. We ran multiple benchmarks and averaged them (and the spread isn't big, in case you were wondering, the HTC One X consistently comes out on top).

Which is why it's listed under software. It is a fairly important piece of software, though, like the dialer or messaging app. Because the glitches in Samsung's gesture input were a frustration I listed it (like I would list USSD the day we do a comparison with Windows Phone).

The One X could just as easily get Vlingo (or a similar app) to compete with S Voice.

Perhaps. That would've just been another point for the HTC One X, though (with perhaps 0.5 subtracted because of the Wi-Fi issue).
    +1
    I have to agree with Jan. Especially wrt. the "every other benchmark review" comment. I dig the latest MyBB review.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ99 View Post
    Agreed, although htc's build quality has never been awesome either from the phones I've used/tried. Neither of the 2 feels as solid as say the RAZR, or even an iphone. Or the Xperia S for that matter.
    The Desire HD was a solid phone with an aluminium casing, so I can't fault their built quality. The One X may not be quite the same but I'm sure it's tough as nails.
    "Don't be a hater, yo. I'm in a jacuzzi."

Quick first test and my AnTuTu score is 11641 - this is comparable to other benchmarks I've seen. I don't know where Jan gets his figures from?

EDIT: unfortunately the HTC One X battery appears to have died and has had to be sent away for repairs as it can't be removed. So can't post any figures here.

EDIT #2: AnTuTu score of 11973.
    Last edited by phaktza; 19-06-2012 at 08:17 AM.
    "Don't be a hater, yo. I'm in a jacuzzi."

Quote Originally Posted by phaktza View Post
    Quick first test and my AnTuTu score is 11641 - this is comparable to other benchmarks I've seen. I don't know where Jan gets his figures from?

EDIT: unfortunately the HTC One X battery appears to have died and has had to be sent away for repairs as it can't be removed. So can't post any figures here.
    ...if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.

-Douglas Adams

Very interesting read. I probably would have gotten the One X if it had a micro SD slot. I got the S3 and I'm not sorry about my decision at all.

There is one thing I cannot understand though. Everytime I run AnTuTu on my phone I get a score of 12000+ and I'm running the stock ICS rom without any modifications. :what:

Decent review. The phones are very closely matched - they both good, and either should see their users very happy.

I will be getting the S3.

Does it mater, it is almost impossible to get the HTC One X.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom1n8tr1x View Post
    Very interesting read. I probably would have gotten the One X if it had a micro SD slot. I got the S3 and I'm not sorry about my decision at all.

There is one thing I cannot understand though. Everytime I run AnTuTu on my phone I get a score of 12000+ and I'm running the stock ICS rom without any modifications. :what:
    Everyone seems to, and the Exynos is definitely the better system on paper. Just MyBB are somehow getting different results.

-Douglas Adams

The one X has a much better build and looks better, the S3 wins on pretty much everything else.
    Sense is better than thoughwiz though, either phone is going to be a good choice but for better rom support etc Im going for the S3.
    A computer programmer is someone who, when told to "Go to Hell", sees
    the "Go to", rather than the destination, as harmful."

Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast