Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who must I bribe to get an ADSL line?

Quote Originally Posted by FNfal View Post
    What ADSL did you apply for ??
    If you applied for 1meg and they dont have apply for 4 meg and visa verse because they are different DSLAMs .
    I applied for 4 meg Adsl.

So from the posts it appears that there are many free ports available. Could it perhaps be the estates exchange? Im assuming that with 400 homes they have a mini-dslam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice2Cool View Post
    So from the posts it appears that there are many free ports available. Could it perhaps be the estates exchange? Im assuming that with 400 homes they have a mini-dslam.
    UMC Perhaps? Hows many ports does a UMC box generally have?

If I may ask, which estate is it?

Well when I spoke to the are super visor he told me that the msan (the thing inside the exchange, can't remember the name) that can do 10mb was full. But not all those people are making use of the high speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by ch@rge View Post
    If I may ask, which estate is it?
    Guessing the gardens?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feesh View Post
    I'm Also on the la Lucia exchange 031 572, I used to have a constant 4mb line. In the last 4 months it has got worse and worse some most of the time the speed is great but now and then It will go through stages that can last 5 mins to an hour where it is ridicoulsly slow. Mweb and telecom say there is nothing wrong with my line. My Line attenuation used to be in the low 40s, it is now 55, the area supervisor tells me that 55 is good.
    Attenuation of 40 is not so bad, not so great either. Attenuation of 55 is quite bad. You'll probably only be able to get a stable 384K line. Anything over 60 means you can't get DSL or extremely unstable 384K at best.

I've got attenuation of 26 - I live about 2.5k from my exchange. I should easily be able to get up to 12mbps line. At work we have attenuation of 35, about the same distance, but I suspect the copper in the ground is not in a good condition.

Illala
    Isn't there a Blue/Green Telkom box in/near the entrance of your estate? That would be where your connection ends up...

Quote Originally Posted by Saajid View Post
    Attenuation of 40 is not so bad, not so great either. Attenuation of 55 is quite bad. You'll probably only be able to get a stable 384K line. Anything over 60 means you can't get DSL or extremely unstable 384K at best.

I've got attenuation of 26 - I live about 2.5k from my exchange. I should easily be able to get up to 12mbps line. At work we have attenuation of 35, about the same distance, but I suspect the copper in the ground is not in a good condition.
    Yea I know it's bad, actually get a stable 4mb line most of of the time it just drops now and then.

Got told by said supervisor that if I have a lot of devices plugged into the telephone line it can give false readings.This true?
    Last edited by Mr Feesh; 28-06-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ch@rge View Post
    Isn't there a Blue/Green Telkom box in/near the entrance of your estate? That would be where your connection ends up...
    I havent noticed one if there is one. Id have to take a look around next time I'm there!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feesh View Post
    Yea I know it's bad, actually get a stable 4mb line most of of the time it just drops now and then.

Got told by said supervisor that if I have a lot of devices plugged into the telephone line it can give false readings.
    Can you pm me this supervisors name and no. so I can ask them about my issue? If not, can you ask him for me?

Blog Entries

If you want to be sneaky, try to get some of your neighbours to cancel their ADSL somehow. This should free up some ports at the exchange / DSLAM / mini-DSLAM / UMC / whatever is serving your complex. Convince them to switch to 3G/HSPA. If they are low usage users, it should be easy to convince them, in order to make a cost saving. A lot of your average mom and pop users hardly go over 1-2 GB. They could easily be catered for with a 2GB per month contract at R150 per month from Vodacom / MTN / Cell C, or 10GB per month from 8.ta at R199 per month.

I suggest you also apply for ADSL on your other lines as well. Might increase your chances of getting it. Then as soon as the first line is activated, cancel your other 2 orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Saajid View Post
    If you want to be sneaky, try to get some of your neighbours to cancel their ADSL somehow. This should free up some ports at the exchange / DSLAM / mini-DSLAM / UMC / whatever is serving your complex. Convince them to switch to 3G/HSPA. If they are low usage users, it should be easy to convince them, in order to make a cost saving. A lot of your average mom and pop users hardly go over 1-2 GB. They could easily be catered for with a 2GB per month contract at R150 per month from Vodacom / MTN / Cell C, or 10GB per month from 8.ta at R199 per month.

I suggest you also apply for ADSL on your other lines as well. Might increase your chances of getting it. Then as soon as the first line is activated, cancel your other 2 orders.
    Lol i wish it were that easy! A large part of the estates homes are made up by smaller apartments - which hopefully people move in and out of much quicker than people in proper houses. So I am hoping in the next few months lots of ppl move out and cancel adsl.

With regard to applying on the other line voice line - the house was wired up with one line being the primary voice line, and the other line being the ADSL line with a backup voice line. As such, most rooms have the primary voice line feed, only the cabinet room has the ADSL line.

I just don't believe all the ports are full - someone, somewhere is giving this as a B.S answer. You think if I cancelled the order, and then re-ordered I could start from fresh? The call center just opens up my order with the order no i give them and looks at the note on the order that says ports full. They say i have been added to a "wait list" and don't need to call back. I don't believe this for one second! Bleh.

Blog Entries

Lol i wish it were that easy! A large part of the estates homes are made up by smaller apartments - which hopefully people move in and out of much quicker than people in proper houses. So I am hoping in the next few months lots of ppl move out and cancel adsl.

With regard to applying on the other line voice line - the house was wired up with one line being the primary voice line, and the other line being the ADSL line with a backup voice line. As such, most rooms have the primary voice line feed, only the cabinet room has the ADSL line.

I just don't believe all the ports are full - someone, somewhere is giving this as a B.S answer. You think if I cancelled the order, and then re-ordered I could start from fresh? The call center just opens up my order with the order no i give them and looks at the note on the order that says ports full. They say i have been added to a "wait list" and don't need to call back. I don't believe this for one second! Bleh.
    It could be that the estate isn't served directly from the exchange, but from a smaller cabinet residing at the estate, which links up back to other exchange, hence the same dialling code / exchange number as others not in your estate. So your exchange itself might have plenty of free ports on its DSLAMs, but not the min-DSLAM / UMC residing on the estate. Try get more info on where you are being served from, and then take it from there.

Internal wiring inside your house/apartment is a small issue, depending on how much you want ADSL. Apply on all 3 lines. Once the first one is activated, it's just a matter of doing a bit re-wiring, which an electrician can do, or you can do it yourself. You can then cancel the other ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12