Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Extortion

Default Extortion

Hey guys. Questions and opinions needed. Friend of mine just called me with the following.

Last year December, she got the go ahead to replace flooring in her flat. She got company to come for assessment and got the work done. Seeing she was only renting, she was the one that signed the piece of paper to seeing she was there at the time (she lived there). Not so soon after, her landlord lost his business and also the flat. She moved out but moved to another unit in her complex. Shortly after, she heard from her neighbor (whose friends with the estate manager) those guys hadn't gotten paid by the landlord.

Now, today - the guy rocked up at her door banging, threatening her with if she doesn't pay - he will send 3 guys to rough her up and take her possessions.. He said he's taking it to the small court for legal action.

Firstly, I reckon him threatening is a big no no in my books. If he wants to go that route, my first reaction is I'll get my guys to pay him a visit too. Last thing I wanna do though - violence.
    Secondly, he didn't even leave his name / nr / bank account. (idiot)

He gave her 3 days to pay up.

What u guys think? Any advice?

Super Grandmaster

Tell the complex management she was threatened, and not to let them in again?

If they do get in, don't answer the door, phone complex security and police, make sure they can here.

Super Grandmaster

Was the Landlord involved in any part of the flooring contract
    Can she prove it was with his authorisation
    Did she receive her deposit back - and was the flat sold? (purely for cash-flow purpose of the LL)

If he wasn't part of the agreement with the floor she has an issue, if he was then transfer the aggression towards the LL.
    Also she must go to SAPS and make a statement get a case number to the whole affect and hopefully either the SAPS will do their duty properly and prevent any harm and secondly this will help her in court if it ever comes to that.
    ALL POSTS ARE IN MY PERSONAL OPINION
    "Pray for Our President Zuma and his party, Julius Malema, and Zimbabwean Robert Mugabe... Psalm 109:8".

Default Extortion

He was part of the agreement, but then again it was all telephonically she said. She was the one that signed off the "work completed" sheet seeing the landlord lives abroad. No she never got her deposit back (2 months of deposit gone :-/) (1 month rent was 9300, so she also lost 18600 there).

Moral of the story:

Get it in writing!! (In this case, the authorisation of the landlord to have the flooring done).

another reason I love armed response.

just get a contract with the best local armed response for phonecalls. Will cost around R300 per month.
    let the okes pitch up, leave them outside and call AR, they will take em down, arrest them and get them out of your hair in no time.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by johndoe1983 View Post
    He was part of the agreement, but then again it was all telephonically she said. She was the one that signed off the "work completed" sheet seeing the landlord lives abroad. No she never got her deposit back (2 months of deposit gone :-/) (1 month rent was 9300, so she also lost 18600 there).
    Just tell her to give them the previous landlords details.

I can arrange a bodyguard.

Default Extortion

Just going to wait on his mail. She's a bit frantic right now. Tracked him down. Works in randburg, looks like a steroids boy. Called some of my guys this morning, to send some shivers up his spine, it's gonna cost me too. Maybe not as much as 8k the guy wants to be paid. Honestly I don't wanna add fuel to this fire.

Was thinking of just paying the dude on condition he calls her up and apologizes. If he has the balls to do that

I think I'll also suggest the armed response route.

Let's see what she says

Blog Entries

Well whatever happens someone has to pay the guy. You getting your "guys" is only going to make things worse.

She signed, so she's responsible for paying him. Sorry

Default Extortion

Still no word from the guy. Think he was bluffing