Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Google drive for iOS

Blog Entries

Default Google drive for iOS

Google drive for iOS just been release.

Both iPhone and iPad version can be found for free:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/googl...507874739?mt=8

Google Drive lets you create, share, collaborate and keep all your stuff in one place. Upload all your files from your computer - even the big ones - and you can access them anywhere, including your iPhone or iPad. We get you started with 5 GB free.
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

Installed it last night and it shows my handful of pre-existing google docs all right. Doesn't seem to offer any way to delete or rename them, it's basically a viewer and when you click Edit it hands the file off to the browser. I'd say it's a handy accessory if you are using GD on a Mac or PC already. Not a Dropbox killer. But I haven't had time to dig deep into the app yet. YMMV.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clasqm View Post
    Installed it last night and it shows my handful of pre-existing google docs all right. Doesn't seem to offer any way to delete or rename them, it's basically a viewer and when you click Edit it hands the file off to the browser. I'd say it's a handy accessory if you are using GD on a Mac or PC already. Not a Dropbox killer. But I haven't had time to dig deep into the app yet. YMMV.
    I'm still living in Dropbox world cause of the lack of Linux support re GDrive so not really interested in it yet. thanx for the heads up.
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

Super Grandmaster

Nice, Google's iOS dev team seem to be quite busy at the moment.
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

Much rather prefer SkyDrive, like was said this is just a viewer and not a very good one at that.
    Dissapointed

Well, these services don't interfere with each other, generally, so there's no reason not to use them all for different purposes. Skydrive is clearly optimized for Office files, and that's what I plan to do with it if my employer ever moves beyond win xp. If Apple ever gets its act together, iCloud will be where I keep my iWork files. Box.net once gave me 50GB free on a special offer, and I am uploading a bunch of pdfs there as we speak, just to warehouse stuff I don't need every day, but that I don't want to delete either. Sugarsync keeps a backup of my clipart and sound effect collections. Dropbox? Everything else.

I haven't quite worked out where Google Drive fits into this yet, but so far I have 70 free GB of online backup and sync tp play around with. Takes a bit of organisation and creative symlinking not to lose sight of everything, sure, but the price is right! Roll on Spideroak and Mozy!