Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Parkhurst broadband, Telkom ADSL vs Neotel Fibre vs Anything else?

Default Parkhurst broadband, Telkom ADSL vs Neotel Fibre vs Anything else?

Hi All,

I've received good news that my new house in Parkhurst (moving in next month!) is feasible for Neotel Fibre or Neotel Wimax. (subject to site inspection)

I know that the copper cabling in the area generally sux, so Telkom lines are apparently worse than in other areas.

I'm considering Neotel vs Telkom vs 3G {Vod / CellC / MTN / 8Ta}.

Hoping to use the line for general browsing (for myself and my wife), home office (doing Web development) , Video Streaming (Netflix) and possibly large offsite photography backups.

Hoping to keep the price under R2k per month. Expected data usage 20GB - 50GB / month.

My options seem to be
    1. Telkom ADSL + Afrihost ISP - Under R1k per month
    2. Neotel Wimax (1mb @ R1299 excl vat, 2mb @ R1699 excl vat)
    3. Neotel Fibre (1mb @ R1699 excl vat)
    4. A combination of 3G providers, cheap for low GB's, expensive to try and make up an "uncapped" plan.

Any words of wisdom?

Also, has anyone had real world experience with Telkom ADSL in Parkhurst? I'm currently in Craighall Park and their line quality is disgusting.

I would go for the fibre, its pretty much future-proof and from what I've heard its speeds are burstable, not to mention the ping should be very low, but as you stated, it is the most expensive.

Neotel have launched WIMAX consumer which is still a wireless solution and uncapped, but comes in as much cheaper in your case when you will be using it at home, send me an email for more info on this, i work for Redwill ICT, we are a solutions company and a channel partner of Neotel.
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanharbour View Post
    Hi All,

I've received good news that my new house in Parkhurst (moving in next month!) is feasible for Neotel Fibre or Neotel Wimax. (subject to site inspection)

I know that the copper cabling in the area generally sux, so Telkom lines are apparently worse than in other areas.

I'm considering Neotel vs Telkom vs 3G {Vod / CellC / MTN / 8Ta}.

Hoping to use the line for general browsing (for myself and my wife), home office (doing Web development) , Video Streaming (Netflix) and possibly large offsite photography backups.

Hoping to keep the price under R2k per month. Expected data usage 20GB - 50GB / month.

My options seem to be
    1. Telkom ADSL + Afrihost ISP - Under R1k per month
    2. Neotel Wimax (1mb @ R1299 excl vat, 2mb @ R1699 excl vat)
    3. Neotel Fibre (1mb @ R1699 excl vat)
    4. A combination of 3G providers, cheap for low GB's, expensive to try and make up an "uncapped" plan.

Any words of wisdom?

Also, has anyone had real world experience with Telkom ADSL in Parkhurst? I'm currently in Craighall Park and their line quality is disgusting.

Home - Afrihost 20Mbps ADSL2+ & Vox Fat Pipe 1TB (Samsung deal)
    Office - Afrihost 20Mbps VDSL + 150GB

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by dylanharbour View Post
    ... Hoping to use the line for general browsing (for myself and my wife), home office (doing Web development) , Video Streaming (Netflix) and possibly large offsite photography backups.

Given the latter two parameters (and you're wanting something actual, not a pie-in-the-sky maybe-yes, maybe-no project), consider WISP. BitCo has been very smart in getting hooked into the forum but I can't tell you more about them than that. However, there is also Amobia to consider (site data is old, consider the top uncapped account to be 4Mb at R800/m) about whom I know more:

• R800/m gets you 4Mb both ways, uncapped
    • I've seen 600MB traffic in a 30 day period, with nary a peep from them (this *appears* to be one up on BitCo)
    • you don't own the CPE, it's always theirs ...and always managed by them. Which, for us, meant they decided that our signal was starting to look iffy so they, at their cost, sent a crew around to upgrade the device (they use Routerboard kit at 5GHz). It just Got Done; no mess, no fuss.
    • you can harry and harangue the support guys (who are actually helpful/useful at least 80% of the time (so minimal dumbass on the other end of the line problem)) until at least 1am, which is as late as I've ever tried.
    • you're not locked into long-term contract or exorbitant install-cost nonsense (definitely one up on BitCo)

Name:  home_broadband.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  48.0 KB

FYI 2k/month would let you get TWO 4-meg accounts on one CPE (I've asked, they can do that, but I'm not yet clear on *exactly* what happens from there ITO you end up with 4+4 that you self-manage in a dual-WAN router or they bond the two into a single 8-meg account). The Jozitoria coverage map indicates that you should have coverage (I know you won't see Rosebank from Parkhurst so you're likely looking to see the Northcliff site) but, as always with these guys, a LOS test is always needed (free call). I can't comment on Netflix streaming capability as it's not something I've tried (office install).