Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: android turn-by-turn navigation - what's your flava??

This is awesome. Until this thread, I had no idea that it was even possible to load new TTS engines on Android.

Here's a comparison of some of the most popular ones. They seem to agree that Ivona is the best, but SVOX Classic looks like a good option too: http://www.geoffsimons.com/2012/06/7...h-engines.html

NDRIVE works good and has offline maps so need for data connection...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vulk View Post
    This is awesome. Until this thread, I had no idea that it was even possible to load new TTS engines on Android.

Here's a comparison of some of the most popular ones. They seem to agree that Ivona is the best, but SVOX Classic looks like a good option too: http://www.geoffsimons.com/2012/06/7...h-engines.html
    no South African option... Gonna take a look at NDRIVE as well now

R311.60

Please can you help me with a personal research project by VOTING - will take 5 seconds - http://tinyurl.com/kpga54q

Well, this is rather frustrating.

I installed Ivona TTS, installed the Amy voice, downloaded the roughly 250mb data file, and set it as the default TTS engine in the settings menu.

But for some reason, Google Navigation insists on using the old voice that came with the phone.

The Ivona TTS seems to work in other situations. For example, if I enable "TalkBack" in the accessbility menu, that plays back using Ivona. But no matter what I try, it doesn't work in Navigation. I've combed through the settings in Google Maps, but I can't an application-specific setting for this. I tried deleting Google Maps' cache; that didn't work either.

I don't suppose anyone has any great ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Vulk View Post
    Well, this is rather frustrating.

I installed Ivona TTS, installed the Amy voice, downloaded the roughly 250mb data file, and set it as the default TTS engine in the settings menu.

But for some reason, Google Navigation insists on using the old voice that came with the phone.

The Ivona TTS seems to work in other situations. For example, if I enable "TalkBack" in the accessbility menu, that plays back using Ivona. But no matter what I try, it doesn't work in Navigation. I've combed through the settings in Google Maps, but I can't an application-specific setting for this. I tried deleting Google Maps' cache; that didn't work either.

I don't suppose anyone has any great ideas?
    It's a long shot, but try matching your phone's system language under 'Settings' > 'Language and Keyboard' to what you have Ivona set to. Likely US or UK English...
    In the Age of Information
    ignorance is a choice

you guys can also try this one if you want
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....OSM.ALL&hl=en

it has s.a. maps...install the program, then go to menu/upgrades/products/maps and add south africa maps (free)
    also does uk etc etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123