Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Amazon smartphone rumours heating up

Default Amazon smartphone rumours heating up

Amazon smartphone already in testing phase

Reports suggest Amazon is now testing its forthcoming smartphone competitor

Well...this will be running a custom version of Android anyways not so? So not really in competition with Android.

Gotta say....if they customize Android on this phone like they did on the Kindle Fire...then all I can say is BLEH!
    Oh he is HOT! Does he have a gay brother? Or a straight brother that drinks a lot?

Amazon should call their OS version Amazoid.
    What you do is your history. What you set in motion is your legacy. - Leonard Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Ockie View Post
    Well...this will be running a custom version of Android anyways not so? So not really in competition with Android.

Gotta say....if they customize Android on this phone like they did on the Kindle Fire...then all I can say is BLEH!
    It will undoubtedly run Fire OS

Quote Originally Posted by JStrike View Post
    It will undoubtedly run Fire OS
    Fire OS is a heavily customised and locked down version of Android not so?
    Oh he is HOT! Does he have a gay brother? Or a straight brother that drinks a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by BeVonk! View Post
    Amazon should call their OS version Amazoid.
    Andronazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ockie View Post
    Fire OS is a heavily customised and locked down version of Android not so?
    It's a fork of the Android OS

when your average joe asks his techy friend what to buy and they say "galaxy sIII". in the consumer's mind, android doesn't come into the equation, specs don't factor in and samsung fits somewhere in the picture (but they're not sure where). as long as it has "facebook" and "apps" they feel safe.

i think there's a gap for an android licensee/forker to create a single android device which borrows some halo of an existing brand... i can see consumers saying: "it's like a pretty kindle fire, but it's a phone". if i was amazon, i'd start off with a galaxy note-style crossover device and then complement with a regular mobile form factor once their cloud services and storage offering is more mature. ebooks are still their main usp and i don't think it would work for them to launch with something that didn't offer this and have synergy with a kindle.

the one thing that a lot of the current android oems lack is a strong content provider brand. amazon has this. with their retail, cloud and content strengths, i think that medium to long term, they could make a really effective business transition into the apple/ms content space and dodge the bullets of white-labeled oem saturation and a plateauing e-book market. for me, they would be one to watch.
    Last edited by murraybiscuit; 12-07-2012 at 08:47 AM.
    The causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them. Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by murraybiscuit View Post
    when your average joe asks his techy friend what to buy and they say "galaxy sIII". in the consumer's mind, android doesn't come into the equation, specs don't factor in and samsung fits somewhere in the picture (but they're not sure where). as long as it has "facebook" and "apps" they feel safe.

i think there's a gap for an android licensee/forker to create a single android device which borrows some halo of an existing brand... i can see consumers saying: "it's like a pretty kindle fire, but it's a phone". if i was amazon, i'd start off with a galaxy note-style crossover device and then complement with a regular mobile form factor once their cloud services and storage offering is more mature. ebooks are still their main usp and i don't think it would work for them to launch with something that didn't offer this and have synergy with a kindle.

the one thing that a lot of the current android oems lack is a strong content provider brand. amazon has this. with their retail, cloud and content strengths, i think that medium to long term, they could make a really effective business transition into the apple/ms content space and dodge the bullets of white-labeled oem saturation and a plateauing e-book market. for me, they would be one to watch.
    "once their cloud services and storage offering is more mature" huh????
    They have the best cloud service and storage in the industry!!!