Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cybersmart improves uncapped ADSL value

Quote Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
    But are you relying on the browsers integrated download manager? Cause they notoriously ineffective.
    Why would you say that?

I hear what you're saying, but my downloads fluctuate between 90kB/s and 5kB/s, and the last files I tried to download, all under 10MB in size, all failed/got cut short/ended prematurely. Perhaps it's a problem with my Chrome browser, but considering that just about everyone is complaining that the speeds are unbearable on the 1Mbps uncapped account, I highly doubt the problem is with my browser. But then, maybe chrome just isn't good at handling volatile ADSL lines.

Even the speed of torrents with tons of seeds and almost no leechers, fluctuate excessively, and occasionally drop to zero, at which point I check my internet connection in my router's configuration, and it explicitly states that the line has been active all along with no sync problems, so it's definitely a problem with the ISP's internet pipe.

And anyway, an ADSL line should not fluctuate that much, unless the contention ratio is high, and as Cybersmart "pointed out", their contention ratio is "the lowest of all the uncapped offers".

I would really like to hear Cybersmart's explanation for this horrible ADSL performance.

Here's why a download manager out performs a browsers native, integrated download manager.

Internet Download Manager (IDM) is a tool to increase download speeds by up to 5 times, resume and schedule downloads. Comprehensive error recovery and resume capability will restart broken or interrupted downloads due to lost connections, network problems, computer shutdowns, or unexpected power outages. Simple graphic user interface makes IDM user friendly and easy to use.Internet Download Manager has a smart download logic accelerator that features intelligent dynamic file segmentation and safe multipart downloading technology to accelerate your downloads. Unlike other download managers and accelerators Internet Download Manager segments downloaded files dynamically during download process and reuses available connections without additional connect and login stages to achieve best acceleration performance.

Internet Download Manager supports proxy servers, ftp and http protocols, firewalls, redirects, cookies, authorization, MP3 audio and MPEG video content processing. IDM integrates seamlessly into Microsoft Internet Explorer, Netscape, MSN Explorer, AOL, Opera, Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Firebird, Avant Browser, MyIE2, and all other popular browsers to automatically handle your downloads. You can also drag and drop files, or use Internet Download Manager from command line. Internet Download Manager can dial your modem at the set time, download the files you want, then hang up or even shut down your computer when it's done.

Other features include multilingual support, zip preview, download categories, scheduler pro, sounds on different events, HTTPS support, queue processor, html help and tutorial, enhanced virus protection on download completion, progressive downloading with quotas (useful for connections that use some kind of fair access policy or FAP like Direcway, Direct PC, Hughes, etc.), built-in download accelerator, and many others.

Version 6.11 adds IDM download panel for web-players that can be used to download flash videos from sites like YouTube, MySpaceTV, and Google Videos. It also features complete Windows 7 and Vista support, YouTube grabber, redeveloped scheduler, and MMS protocol support. The new version also adds improved integration for IE and IE based browsers, redesigned and enhanced download engine, the unique advanced integration into all latest browsers, improved toolbar, and a wealth of other improvements and new features.
    Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger

Quote Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
    Here's why a download manager out performs a browsers native, integrated download manager.
    and you believe all that... I used IDM in the past and got so must problems, dont use it anymore and happy with my current setup. I think speedtest.net give a fairly accurate line speed reading. if and when I want to check my actual download / true download speed and just do a direct download.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Salie View Post
    and you believe all that... I used IDM in the past and got so must problems, dont use it anymore and happy with my current setup. I think speedtest.net give a fairly accurate line speed reading. if and when I want to check my actual download / true download speed and just do a direct download.
    Well, if that works for you great stuff, but it doesn't for me and below is an example. One screenshot off Chrome and the same file in IDM.

Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger

A download manager simply downloads different parts of the same file in parallel, similar to how a torrent works. It can cause problems when a download server limits the number of TCP connections from any specific IP. You get the same performance as from downloading multiple files, at the same time, off from the same server.

The issue here is, when your ADSL line only allows 5kB/s, then whether you use a download accelerator or not, you still going to get 5kB/s in total. If, on the other hand, you ADSL line allows 1000kB/s, but the download server only allows 100kB/s, then using a download accelerator you can over come this 100kB/s limit.

Essentially, a download accelerator only allows you to overcome the download server's limitations, NOT ADSL line speed limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by MiY4Gi View Post
    A download manager simply downloads different parts of the same file in parallel, similar to how a torrent works. It can cause problems when a download server limits the number of TCP connections from any specific IP. You get the same performance as from downloading multiple files, at the same time, off from the same server.

The issue here is, when your ADSL line only allows 5kB/s, then whether you use a download accelerator or not, you still going to get 5kB/s in total. If, on the other hand, you ADSL line allows 1000kB/s, but the download server only allows 100kB/s, then using a download accelerator you can over come this 100kB/s limit.

Essentially, a download accelerator only allows you to overcome the download server's limitations, NOT ADSL line speed limitations.
    There is one additional thing you didn't mention. It is possible to limit the download rate of each individual TCP connection. I believe SAIX used to do this a while back. Since your download manager opens multiple TCP connections, it can bypass this limit imposed by your ISP. Of course, you will still be limited by your total bandwidth available to you (after contention and shaping) and the rate limits imposed by the remote server.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerion View Post
    There is one additional thing you didn't mention. It is possible to limit the download rate of each individual TCP connection. I believe SAIX used to do this a while back. Since your download manager opens multiple TCP connections, it can bypass this limit imposed by your ISP. Of course, you will still be limited by your total bandwidth available to you (after contention and shaping) and the rate limits imposed by the remote server.
    Ouch, I never knew about this. Sounds like some form of throttling. On what ADSL packages did this occur?

Ouch, I never knew about this. Sounds like some form of throttling. On what ADSL packages did this occur?
    I had this when SAIX was still the only ADSL provider, before the explosion of the other ISP's happened, so a few years back. I moved off of SAIX as soon as I could, so I have no idea if they still do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerion View Post
    Thanks for clearing this up guys...

So is it also illegal and wrong if i rip a DVD i bought so i can view on my iPod or iPad?

Quote Originally Posted by k@@l View Post
    So is it also illegal and wrong if i rip a DVD i bought so i can view on my iPod or iPad?
    huh! what are you talking about? are you in the right forum?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234