Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: upgraded from 1 meg line to 4 meg , internet speed super slow

Default upgraded from 1 meg line to 4 meg , internet speed super slow

so i have had a 1 meg line for a while and had an old 100wr router which would constantly disconnect , everyday atleast twice , sometimes over 10 disconnects in a day which is frustrating but i got used to it

till one day i couldnt even connect to the internet (about a week or so ago) , it said my internet was connected and the pppoe light came on and on my computer it said i was connected but it wouldnt load web pages, i thought it was a virus so i formatted my hard drive and re installed etc , the internet started working again .

then a few days later while trying to download the software that i had lost , i saw it was downloading at 5 -> 3 kbps : / which is pretty slow for a 1 meg line , then it just disconnected and i had no internet .

so i restarted the router later that evening and the internet was back up and running , but my internet speed has always been very slow , especially streaming stuff and downloading stuff.

so we got a new router assuming that was what was causing the random disconnects : / and got our line upgraded to a 4meg , now the internet disconnects and stays off , and when I phoned telkom yesterday about 5 times , i was told the same thing , to restart my router etc and the internet would come back online , stay on for a minute or so and then disconnect again and stay off

when the internet comes back on i use it , and did speedtests from speedtest.net and on this site , here are my results for when the internet is actually connected :

Local : Test conducted on Wed Jul 11 2012 12:17:05 GMT+0200 (South Africa Standard Time)

Download Speed: 174 kbps (21.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 428 kbps (53.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 59 ms

thats with nothing using the internet etc

i dont know what is going on : /

any help or insights ?

Thanks in advanced

Luke

EDIT: i dont know much about internet and line speeds and such and such so if you need more information please let me know , will gladly try find it :P , Thanks
    Last edited by Phace; 11-07-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Please post your line statistics, it will be on your router when you log in. (The Attenuation and Noise Margins)

Maybe your line is giving problems and cant handle the new speeds.
    "It's like lifting up the queens skirt and then finding out she's wearing a thong" - Jeremy Clarkson

Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
    Type: ATM

Downstream Upstream
    Line Coding(Trellis): On On
    SNR Margin (dB): 85 120
    Attenuation (dB): 470 280
    Output Power (dBm): 199 91
    Attainable Rate (Kbps): 4672 912
    Rate (Kbps): 4096 512
    D (interleaver depth): 1 1
    Delay (msec): 0.13 0.25

HEC Errors: 0 0
    OCD Errors: 0 0
    LCD Errors: 0 0

Total ES: 1 0

I think thats the stuff you asked for

ISP? I'm with Mweb and recently started getting throttled to 100kb/s max on my 4Mb line from early in the day till about 11PM. MwebGuy helped test it out and i suspect our exchange is congested beyond measure, because its been fine for the good part of 10 months now. Could it be the same case? Or mayb worse..

OK, first of all, according to this tool --> http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php , you are 3.4km from the ADSL exchange and can get speeds of up to 6MBps with an attenuation of 47db.

Now here is the culprit for your problems --> your SNR margin is only 8.5db which is very very low, your line has too much noise on it for the connection to be working properly:

SNR:
    *6dB or below is bad and will experience no synch or intermittent synch problems
    *7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions
    *11dB-20dB is good with no synch problems
    *20dB-28dB is excellent
    *29dB or above is outstanding

I suggest maybe going down to 3MBps line and check if the connection and speed betters, if not I suggest you drop your line to 2Mbps or 1Mbps when the speed increases has happend next month and the new pricing kicks in.

Also call Telkom to ask them to reset your port, maybe that will help.

Good Luck.
    "It's like lifting up the queens skirt and then finding out she's wearing a thong" - Jeremy Clarkson

im with Isoft , it could be , but i have never reached 100kb/s on this line ^^ , but it does seem to happen early on in the day but it has also happened in the evening , it could be throttling im not sure , but i've gone for 2 days without any internet as well , but i have noticed the internet is smoother at night , but i have had nights where it has disconnected and reconnected up to 5 times in an hour during midnight hours

: /

Quote Originally Posted by Phace View Post
    im with Isoft , it could be , but i have never reached 100kb/s on this line ^^ , but it does seem to happen early on in the day but it has also happened in the evening , it could be throttling im not sure , but i've gone for 2 days without any internet as well , but i have noticed the internet is smoother at night , but i have had nights where it has disconnected and reconnected up to 5 times in an hour during midnight hours

: /
    Then it is your line that is not working properly if there is disconnections, it is your SNR Margin, nothing you can do about that other than to drop the speed of the line.

oh ok , is there anything i can do to fix the SNR margin ? or improve it at all? i had the same problems when my line was at 1 meg speed , constant disconnects and reconnects at random time intervals , i think it was the connection going out of sync , they reset the ports yesterday : /

oh ok : / thanks for the response

There is nothing you can do, there must be a fault along the line from the exchange to your house, they can check it and repair it or just install new connectors to the line, maybe it is faulty and is giving noise to the line, anything is possible, log a fault with Telkom and let someone check it out.

i have logged a fault in the mean time and will see what they say and get back to you guys , ye hopefully its something to do with that otherwise i will just have to lower the line speed , anyway , will just have to wait and see

Thanks guys , appreciate it

No problem.

a better modem can help with snr , the telkom 100war is really crap .
    Www.gtxgaming.co.za
    For all your graphics card requirements!

a better modem can help with snr , the telkom 100war is really crap .
    That's the general consensus. Not to dispute your statement Heretic but I'm getting better line stats with my 100wr than I had with a Netgear 823v2 (or something).

First test using a friends modem modems does not come cheap.
    Last edited by moondoggie86; 11-07-2012 at 03:53 PM.

i don't trust netgear also :P

only trust dlink and tplink :P

ya test with friends modem first
    Www.gtxgaming.co.za
    For all your graphics card requirements!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast