I was involved in a car accident on Tuesday morn, bumped into the lady in front of me who braked suddenly and I couldn't avoid her. So we ignored the trucker guys who appear, for about an hour whist we wait for the police to arrive, exchange details etc because we know we cant use them if they are not authorised by our insurance. Unfortunately I finished my airtime calling for police and trying to get through to my insurance. So after a while the trucker offers to help me call the insurance, I give him the number and I talk to someone on his phone from "my insurance", go through checks etc. and get "permission" for the trucker to tow my car to an assessor, and be dropped off at work as they sort out my rental car and confirmed insurance would pay for the tow, twice.
After a while when I'm at work waiting for a call on the rental, I call the insurance to confirm the time when a car will come, only to be told there is no record of my claim, no call has been received logged etc, in other words whoever I talked to earlier was not my insurance. The tow company, Central Tow Assist is charging R6500 to get my car back and the insurance say they will only pay R2000 of that so I will have to pay the rest or they can take it up with legal for me. They did say though that is no guarantee I still wont have to pay the R4500, and it can take over 30 days to get it sorted out. They asked me to call Central auto Assist to see if they would accept the R2000 before going to legal, they refused and said the release fee was R6500 and the insurance can take it up if they want to, when I asked who the trucker had called they said they were not at the scene and have no idea, when I asked for the truckers contact details they said they do not keep any details on their truckers.
Should I go and also open a case with the police, because I feel this is fraudulent behaviour, or just let the insurance handle it? Or do I just leave it as a lesson learned from being conned. From the insurance side it seems their case will be based on the charges being too high and they are only willing to pay R2000 and may not tackle the conning i was put through... what should I do?