So this is where I am and what I have tried:
1) ClearOS - One of the best, but it only monitors web browsing. It does not monitor all traffic, so if a user is torrenting, there is no method of tracking this.
2) Untangle - Requires expensive apps to be really functional, and our Untangle just started maxing out our upload line... for no apparent reason. It also sucks with new hardware and runs on outdated debian.
3) Endian - A polished system, but only has raw ntop to manage internet usage
4) IPCop - Have not tried it out as their website looks like it was done by a 5 year old about 10 years ago. Also, you cant download 2.0.4 (you have to download 2.0.3 and then upgrade to 2.0.4 - this indicates to me lazy developers... which puts me off)
5) Zentyal aka Ebox - Have not tried this since it was ebox, but last I checked into only metered web browsing, not all traffic.
6) PFSense - Have not tried it yet.
7) m0n0wall - Have not tried yet
8) Smoothwall - Have not tried yet
So what FOSS firewall/gateway solutions are out there to help me manage how much a user downloads? What do you recommend?