Sent them the folllowing email now, which breaks the story down.
Sent it via their website.Hi there.
Just thought I'd bring it to your attention and perhaps ask if you guys could chec the PnP House Brand Canned Mussels.
On Tuesday evening of this week, a colleague gave me a sealed can he was no longer going to use. I work shifts and had it the evening at the office. During the night I got drowsy to the point of falling asleep at my desk without even putting up a fight! And I'm an insomniac by nature - and I'm not allergic to shellfish or any seafood.
Then tonight, Thursday, 07 Aug 2012, I thought I'd get me another can, as they're a nice snack and I've not had them in a while since before my mate offered me some. Not even thinking about what happened a few nights before. Then the same thing happened. Drowsiness, dry mouth and tingling all over.
I wondered why I was feeling drowsy on my 1st and last nightshifts - and the only thing that stands out from either day - are the mussels. The common denominator - which is also the only other thing that's been different from my daily regime.
So please have a look at your stock.
I've got a strong stomach - so should hopefully sleep this off when I get home in the morning.
But it’s very concerning, that shellfish, which could be off - can be on your store floors.
I'd appreciate feedback in this regard.
I've already discarded the receipt and packaging at this time - but its not that I want to make a fuss and be thrown silent with vouchers - just to help my fellow consumers out there.
I look forward to your response.
Checked on HelloPeter if there were any similar complaints - None.
Didn't wanna lodge a complaint there - as I don't agree with Peter Cheales' way of "doing business" as it were.
I did a bit of googling earlier and tonight I had at least 3 of the following symptoms.
*note I was feeling (and still am) this way before I read about the symptoms - so its not a placebo thing.
Paralytic poisoning or Neurotoxic poisoning seem to fit the bill tonight:
Anyway - so its a toss up between the two.Paralytic poisoning
This is the most common type of shellfish poisoning. It is caused by the consumption of shellfish which contain a number of chemicals that are derived from saxitoxin.
Saxitoxin is a neurotoxin which when consumed, attacks the nervous system within humans as well as causing gastrointestinal illness.
Symptoms of paralytic poisoning include:
- Lack of co-ordination/clumsiness
- Slurred speech
- Dry mouth
- Choking feeling in throat
[Those highlighted in red are what I'm experiencing]
This also includes the usual symptoms of food poisoning, for example nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
These symptoms appear 30 minutes to an hour after consumption and can cause serious damage such as muscle paralysis and respiratory failure which can be fatal. This poisoning is particularly serious in children.
[Did start feeling that way about half an hour or so later]
Another type of poisoning which occurs following consumption of infected shellfish. In this case, the shellfish contain a type of toxin called ‘brevetoxins’which cause symptoms very similar to those of paralytic poisoning or ciguatera poisoning.
Symptoms of neurotoxic poisoning include:
Numbness/tingling in the mouth, arms and legs
Slurring of the speech
This also causes both neurological and gastrointestinal symptoms.
Recovery takes 2 to 3 days from neurotoxic poisoning.
No nausea - but I'm groggy like a moer, tingling like I'd imagine some bad ecstasy would have me tripping.
Trying to down some coffee, splashed my face. Still no real change - so its just not general fatigue.
I've slept well on all of this shift rotation - from 7am till 1-2pm each day.
Which is normal for me.
Its just been on these days when I've had the canned mussels from PnP that I'm left feeling this way. Grrrr!