2 tablespoons sugar
2 packages active dry yeast
1 package (225 grams) barley cereal(about 4 1/2 cups)*, uncooked
2 1/2 cups stone-ground cornmeal, preferably white
4 teaspoons salt
about 4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
*Barley cereal can be found in the baby-food section of supermarkets.
1. In small bowl, stir sugar and yeast into 1/2 cup warm water (40-46 degrees C); let stand until yeast mixture foams, about 5 minutes.
2. In large bowl, combine barley cereal, cornmeal, salt, and 4 cups flour. With wooden spoon, stir in yeast mixture and 2 1/2 cups warm water (40-46 degrees C) unitl combined. With floured hands, shape dough into a ball in bowl.
3. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place (26-29 degrees C) until doubled, about 1 hour.
4. Punch down dough and turn onto well-floured surface. Knead dough until smooth, about 5 minutes, working in more flour (about 3/4 cup) as necessary while kneading.
5. Grease large cookie sheet. Cut dough in half and shape each half into a 15-cm round. Coat each round with flour, place on cookie sheet. Cover loaves with towel and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
6. Preheat oven to 205 degrees C. Bake loaves until golden brown, a total of about 35 minutes,using spray bottle to spritz loaves with water after first 5 minutes of baking, and again 10 minutes later. Cool on wire racks. Makes 2 loaves, 12 servings per loaf.
Prep: 20 minutes plus rising and cooling
Bake: 35 minutes