Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PC - where to spend those hard earned bucks?

Default PC - where to spend those hard earned bucks?

At the moment my systems is as follows:

AMD 64 3000+ running at a 1.9
    Asus 6600 GT
    1 gig RAM (cheapo single channel)
    low end mobo and power supply
    120gig IDE HDD

If I want to get some more performance for gaming, where should I invest?

Should I just buy a better grfx card?

Will I get better peformance if I buy a SATA HDD and get some decent dual channel RAM (2gig)?

Maybe SATA drive, dual channel RAM decent PSU and then overclock some?

If I get a better grfx card, will I get full performance even though the rest of my system is a tad on the old side?

Don't upgrade dude, if you've got money to burn, buy a whole new pc!

Your system is average for 2005-2006, it's not a bad system at all. It relates to mine, except mine is dual channel and I've got the SATA thing going.

The best would be to buy a new system, make it something dual core X2 and spend some money on a decent motherboard and so forth. Most people will tell you that now's a bad time to upgrade or buy a new pc, wait for the AM2's to arrive from AMD. I agree with them, but prices on other components will get cheaper, so buy yourself a decent AMD dual core cpu and get the dual channel branded memory, psu and whatever else you want.

I have to agree with teraside.

My PC bombed out like 2 months ago and was thinking of buying an interim PC before the new intel core 2 duo's. But have decided to wait since the new intel chips are right around the corner and new dx10 cards should be here early nect year. So i'm waiting for the new intel chips before any new buys
    "note that this message is not defamatory or slanderous in any way ".

yea well buying a new system would be great.

Ok, say I wait a couple of months for prices to fall a bit (and my capital to rise a bit) but I buy a grfx card so long (with the idea to use it in the new system). Will I get full performance from say a 7900GT if I stick it into my current system, or will the system somhow keep the card from performing at 100%?

On a different note, how much will prices actually go down with in your opinion? (estimates)

7900GT will make a huge difference. Just make sure that your current mobo has a PCI-E slot and your PSU can supply enough power
    Procrastination is like masturbation. It may feel good at first, but when you look at the task at hand, you're actually screwing yourself.

Like incubate says, the new Directx 10 cards are around the corner, so I won't upgrade the graphics if I were you, the gt can handle life until the end of this year.

Prices fluctuate, look at your local pc shops and start learning what things like hardware do price wise. No one can say how much prices will go down, but generally speaking, looking at graphics cards, ram and motherboard prices. It's much much lower than last year.
    So it's bound to be much lower next year.

It will be a while before games start taking full advantage of DX10, he's looking for a gfx card in the mean time before getting a new system. The 7900GT should take him to the end of next year at the very least.
    Procrastination is like masturbation. It may feel good at first, but when you look at the task at hand, you're actually screwing yourself.

You make a strong case Highflyer, if he's got the dosh I'd have to concur.

I just dont want to buy a card for a couple of grand and NOT get full performance out of it.

different question:

Will 2 gig Dual channel DDR333 Ram perform better or worse than 1 gig single channel DDR400 Ram?

PC prices will go up soon with the $/R up 20% so far and still falling like a brick ...

Super Grandmaster DigitalSoldier's Avatar

Wonderbob you can get this card and I am sure it will hold out till end of the year.

http://www.computersonly.co.za/produ...56&categoryId=

don't get anything just yet, but if you must a 7600GT or 2nd hand 6800GT/Ultra.

DX10 cards won't come next year, but this year. Holiday season sales re massive and nvidia ASIC is said will have hit TSMC\UMC in August\September nd availability as early as October.

Be it games need it or not, its always nice to say you have a DirectX whatever graphics card

Don't worry so much about Dual channel, but maybe another 1GB stick wouldn't be a bad idea. However that 1.9GHz clock is killing the system and is not enough for your 6600GT even. 2.6Ghz would be more like it
    i7 980X | i7 980X (2) | Phenom II X6 1090T
    DDR3 2200 | DDR3 2000 | DDR3 1600

GIGABYTE X58A-UD9 | ASUS RAMPAGE III GENE | GIGABYTE 890FXA-UD7

Super Grandmaster DigitalSoldier's Avatar

I got 6000gt but only playing Guildwars and waiting for dx10 card just to have bragging rights before any1 else got

Grandmaster

The card you have now can run most games comfortably so I wouldn't upgrade that just yet. Your RAM, CPU and HDD won't make much of a dif in games performance.

If you've got the cash the 7900GT is awesome! You'll definately see improved performance. But I'd wait till the next gen cards come out.
    The toxicity of our city
    ...........__~o............____.....
    ........../``.....\........./DDDD\....
    .........|\/\/\/\..\....../DDDDDD\...
    .(\ /)............\..\.../DDDDDDDD\..
    .(O.o)<------...\..\/DDTELKOMDD\.
    .(> <)............/__|_____________|.
    .........|\/\/\//....//..............\\...
    .........\___/...|_|..............|_|
    !!!Run Bunny Run!!!
    Just Keep Swimming!

you guys keep goin on about these directx cards around the corner

8 months is not around the corner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast