Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: whatsapp for iphone

Default whatsapp for iphone

Hi GUys

Is there any other way to get Whatsapp besides app store for iphone.

Thanks
    DD

Default Re: whatsapp for iphone

Quote Originally Posted by dd1313 View Post
    Hi GUys

Is there any other way to get Whatsapp besides app store for iphone.

Thanks
    DD
    Jailbreak > load lnstallous

Super Grandmaster

Given the bad security press whatsapp have been getting lately, why would anyone want this on their phone?

Quote Originally Posted by koffiejunkie View Post
    Given the bad security press whatsapp have been getting lately, why would anyone want this on their phone?
    Enlighten us all?

Quote Originally Posted by PAYBACK View Post
    Enlighten us all?
    http://www.h-online.com/security/new...d-1708545.html Key words from article
    Tests performed by The H's associates at heise Security
    Meaning they are just doing what lots of AV companies are doing reviewing Android. Pushing their own crap onto users.
    Anyone using WhatsApp on a public Wi-Fi network
    'nuff said.

"Scary" stuff. Thanks for the heads up...

Super Grandmaster

First off, it uses your phone number as the username and IMEI for password. Phone numbers are easily spoofable (think spoofed caller ID). And if you've been paying attention, you'll have heard of the recent hack of a software company that resulted in a million or so iPad/iPhone user's phone numbers and IMEI numbers ending up on pastebin. You'll also have heard that apps using your IMEI number as some sort of identifier is rife, so this won't be the last time it leaks. Your's might be next.

They didn't use any encryption either, so your sexy talk with your secret squeeze go in plain text acrosse that unsecured "free wifi" network you connected to at that dodgy club last night. This was fixed some time last year, but quite badly. So much so that someone put up a website where you can alter another whatsapp user's status as long as you knew their phone number. Whatsapp's solution to this problem was to block said website's IP address, rather than fix their app. This flaw was reported to them a year ago, and it's still not fixed.

And last not but least, they are accused of uploading your addressbook to their servers. If I had a spare phone, I would test this to verify, but I have no desire for my addressbook to get shared with a company that has proven themselves to be this lax about security, so I'll just stay away.
    Last edited by koffiejunkie; 19-09-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Default whatsapp for iphone

They fixed the encryption in version 2.8.3 according to AppStore changelog.

Are there any alternatives to Whatapp when it comes to free messaging to all your contacts then?

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by _dB_ View Post
    They fixed the encryption in version 2.8.3 according to AppStore changelog.
    That may be, but it's still possible to take over a user's account. Frankly, even if they fixed all the problems now, its history speak of a culture of ignorance towards security. Next time they introduce a new feature, how will we know they did it right this time?

Quote Originally Posted by goofball View Post
    Are there any alternatives to Whatapp when it comes to free messaging to all your contacts then?
    I don't use these applications, other than iMessage on the iPhone, so I don't know. Friends of mine in ZA were using Kik messenger for a while, and it's nice from what I've seen, but from what I've seen it hasn't used encryption until about a year ago, but at least it has a username and password unconnected to your phone number/IMEI.