Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would cutting sim card into a nano sim work?

Default Would cutting sim card into a nano sim work?

Hi Guys,

One of my mates in the UK managed to get me an iPhone 5 (32gig black). Never had an iPhone before so wanted to try it out. Will be getting it by this weekend when he comes down. Lol... I asked him to check for dents, chips etc so he may swap it out if the need arises.

Just wanted to know if anyone knows whether cutting a Sim into a nano Sim would work on the iPhone?

Blog Entries

No.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

I don't know about full size to nano but micro cut down to nano works apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave123 View Post
    For anyone worrying about the whole nano sim thing, don't, I cut my micro sim down standing in the car park of the Apple store and it worked perfectly, it really was simple. I decided to do it while I was still there as I would have just gone back into the shopping centre and bought a nanosim as the phone shops got stock in yesterday in advance of the phones release.
    Instructions here: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-con...-for-iphone-5/
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Sigh....... Ah well....will just have to wait for the networks to get them in stock

I still have my S2 to use till I get the nano sim.

Grandmaster

I don't know where you got that idea from, but the answer is yes.

I can post a few pics of SIM cards cut down and working if you like, I've cut both mini and micro to nano and tested them in my iPhone 5.

Every single one has worked. No matter the original contact shape, for the old rounded contacts (you have to cut through the contacts) to the newest small contact sim. They all work fine.

I disassembled a sim before starting cutting, and the important part can be seen in the middle and the 5 connected contacts, as long a you don't cut the connections to the IC you will be fine.

Notice the top 3 contacts and bottom 2 contacts aren't even connected to the IC.
    Last edited by Dave123; 25-09-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    I don't know about full size to nano but micro cut down to nano works apparently.

Instructions here: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-con...-for-iphone-5/

I will probably try with a prepaid Sim first.

If that doesn't work, I will just wait it out. Don't want to damage my existing Sim card.

I don't know where you got that idea from, but the answer is yes.

I can post a few pics of SIM cards cut down and working if you like, I've cut both mini and micro to nano and tested them in my iPhone 5.

Every single one has worked. No matter the original contact shape, for the old rounded contacts (you have to cut through the contacts) to the newest small contact sim. They all work fine.
    Thanks. Please post some info on the working sim cards

Would really appreciate it!

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you still feel the need to cut a sim down to nano, get a couple of prepaid SIM's and try these out.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

VOTE #ROCK FOR PRESIDENT

Yes

But it is risky.
    |Bebamos y divirtámonos que mañana moriremos.
    |Melior morior bellator, quam ago profugus.
    |Nemo saltat sobrius.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    If you still feel the need to cut a sim down to nano, get a couple of prepaid SIM's and try these out.
    Yes...will try the prepaid Sims first. I am known to be really clumsy and need some practice with them first.

Blog Entries

I don't know where you got that idea from,
    From the people who make them (Giesecke & Devrient, inventor of SIM as well as the manufacturer of the nano SIM card). There is a link in that bit you quoted...
    Last edited by ghoti; 25-09-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Good advice, exactly what I did.

This is the template I used, print at 100% and then I laminated it (so I can wipe clean after inking the cutting lines onto it).

http://www.airportal.de/nanosim/

Grandmaster

From the people who make them (Giesecke & Devrient, inventor of SIM as well as the manufacturer of the nano SIM card). There is a link in that bit I quoted...
    The fact that they will make a large $$$ profit selling millions of new nano sims made me cynical

From the people who make them (Giesecke & Devrient, inventor of SIM as well as the manufacturer of the nano SIM card). There is a link in that bit you quoted...
    So from the guys trying to sell nano sims.

To every one who has responded....or responds, thanks a lot for the info. Damn you guys are fast

Will get a few prepaid sim cards on the way home and pre-cut them in advance :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast