Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shipping via USPS: Will I ever get it?

Default Shipping via USPS: Will I ever get it?

So after a few episodes of Suits, I was feeling inspired and ordered some cufflinks from the States (and TM Lewin shirts from London).

They "sommer" dispatched the cufflinks via USPS (even after requesting a courier).

Will USPS make use of SAPO? If so, am I doomed to never receive the cufflinks?

Grandmaster

if the item was sent registered mail, then it should arrive. do you have any sort of tracking number? if you do not, then it is a lost cause, and I would be getting in touch with the seller or your credit card company right about now if I were you.

No tracking number at all. I also had a grim view that I would never receive anything at the end of the day.

Seller seems ... a bit slow.... because after asking what courier they will use and to let me have the tracking number, she said "fine will do" but nevertheless proceeded to ship via USPS, which doesn't carry a tracking number.

Quote Originally Posted by IzZzy View Post
    No tracking number at all. I also had a grim view that I would never receive anything at the end of the day.

Seller seems ... a bit slow.... because after asking what courier they will use and to let me have the tracking number, she said "fine will do" but nevertheless proceeded to ship via USPS, which doesn't carry a tracking number.
    Of course USPS ships with tracking numbers. It's just SAPO changes them and they don't know where the HOE their parcels are so why bother? Seller probably never shipped with a mode that offers a tracking number. Why pay for a service you don't get?

Ja, I think you will get it. Should be about 3-6 weeks. If it says cufflinks on the package, I don't think the thieves will know what they are.

I get stuff shipped from the US but ask my contact to ship USPS Express Mail. Its trackable. Takes about 10 days. But not cheap. Flat Rate envelope with documents cost $38. I think it is worth it as being trackable - well I don't know what happens when it gets into the SA system - makes it a little less attractive to steal.

Default Re: Shipping via USPS: Will I ever get it?

My priority mail parcel has been sitting at the sort facility for 9 days...

Edit: Actually it was "processed through sort facility". They mean it's been sent out?
    Last edited by Kwerty; 06-10-2012 at 09:18 PM.

I once waited 8 weeks for something sent via USPS and that was with tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by Leimie View Post
    I once waited 8 weeks for something sent via USPS and that was with tracking.
    I've waited six months before.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

Last thing i brought in as part of a birthday gift was this....

http://www.indiemerchstore.com/item/12130/

... hoodie. It was going for $50 on Amazon, so i scored a bit. Anyways, it came in a plastic package with the colours nicely exposed in the 2/3 rds clear plastic part of the package. The part of the package that wasn't clear plastic was the shipping advice. Left 15 March arrived 3 April. Winter was on it's way... Everything flys from the States. USPS did away with surface shipping years ago. Sometime before the Rinderpest, i think.

Just a slight correction and i apologise for the previous inaccuracy:

It's not SAPO who change the tracking number, they're at the mercy of Customs. Cusoms in turn are at the mercy of the "steak holders" who provide the system. The "steak holders" are the large shipping companies who in turn own the courier companies and of course they have no tracking problems. Whatever the case, changing the number is still absolute fraud. Don't know what doing this without advising anyone officially about the proceedure on either website is, but i find it utterly disgusting! AND IT'S JUST BEEN LEFT TO CARRY ON THIS WAY FOR YEARS! There is no reason why the databases can't be bound and the correct information parsed to ANY system, so that the chain is left unbroken. There is tons of open source and Kermit is not only a frog. Some dirty shyster will put another R127 million pathetic system on the books and in the SAPO Director's back pockets to fix it up and anyone could do it in a couple of hours flat with a PC costing less than R10000 and a R339 pm line rental/ADSL connection. Man landed on the moon with 10000 times less processing power than what a gamer wants today.

Haven't seen anyone wearing cufflinks for ages. They were big in the 60's and the 70's, so i think you can keep your hopes up. If it doesn't arrive i've got about 6 pairs somewhere and you would have been welcome to take your pick, but now i'm talking drivel. i think i bought the first pair when Markhams opened a branch in the town i grew up in and i inherited a couple of pairs. Never wear them. Sorry, more drivel....

Super Grandmaster

Both USPS international post options have some degree of tracking. The basic one will only show you whether it has left the US, but that can at least give you some idea. The other is basically a slower courier service. I always get a tracking number regardless of which option I use. The seller should be able to give it to you.

In regard to things getting lost I'd worry just as much about USPS messing things up.

I've yet to encounter issues with the locally assigned tracking number. Either customs or the post office can give you the local number if you give them the international tracking number. Customs are usually the quicker option.

My US shipper ships about 20 USPS Priority Mail International packages all over the world every month. They generally take about a maximum of 2 weeks to reach the recipients. They are mostly in Europe, but also Australia, Argentina, Japan. I have one package that has get "stuck" in Germany at the moment with no further movement on the tracking site since the end of August. My experience is that packages seldom get lost, they eventually turn up.

My point is that in most parts of the world the mail system works. And yet, here in SA we seem to have problems. This makes doing business here difficult. How can the economy grow and SA business expand worldwide if we don't have a well functioning mail system?

And our postage rates are expensive. It is cheaper to ship a package from California to Greece than from SA to Greece. And it is probably half the distance.
    Last edited by Londo; 07-10-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: grammar

Banned

SAPO is on a go slow strike. Been waiting a week for Speed Post from Pretoria and it has now just reached JHB. I normally get it within 50 hrs.
    By the way, I recently had to pay R860.00 customs duty for a clothing present from my kids in the UK. The contents were worth R500.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
    Last thing i brought in as part of a birthday gift was this....

http://www.indiemerchstore.com/item/12130/

... hoodie. It was going for $50 on Amazon, so i scored a bit. Anyways, it came in a plastic package with the colours nicely exposed in the 2/3 rds clear plastic part of the package. The part of the package that wasn't clear plastic was the shipping advice. Left 15 March arrived 3 April. Winter was on it's way... Everything flys from the States. USPS did away with surface shipping years ago. Sometime before the Rinderpest, i think.

Just a slight correction and i apologise for the previous inaccuracy:

It's not SAPO who change the tracking number, they're at the mercy of Customs. Cusoms in turn are at the mercy of the "steak holders" who provide the system. The "steak holders" are the large shipping companies who in turn own the courier companies and of course they have no tracking problems. Whatever the case, changing the number is still absolute fraud. Don't know what doing this without advising anyone officially about the proceedure on either website is, but i find it utterly disgusting! AND IT'S JUST BEEN LEFT TO CARRY ON THIS WAY FOR YEARS! There is no reason why the databases can't be bound and the correct information parsed to ANY system, so that the chain is left unbroken. There is tons of open source and Kermit is not only a frog. Some dirty shyster will put another R127 million pathetic system on the books and in the SAPO Director's back pockets to fix it up and anyone could do it in a couple of hours flat with a PC costing less than R10000 and a R339 pm line rental/ADSL connection. Man landed on the moon with 10000 times less processing power than what a gamer wants today.

Haven't seen anyone wearing cufflinks for ages. They were big in the 60's and the 70's, so i think you can keep your hopes up. If it doesn't arrive i've got about 6 pairs somewhere and you would have been welcome to take your pick, but now i'm talking drivel. i think i bought the first pair when Markhams opened a branch in the town i grew up in and i inherited a couple of pairs. Never wear them. Sorry, more drivel....
    The SAPO system still tracks the incoming foreign tracking number.
    http://ems.sapo.co.za/EmsWebSite/IPSTracking.aspx
    You can use any tracking number there, such as LC....US, or EJ.....JP etc. Priority, registered and EMS mail works. However, SAPO don't always scan all foreign tracking numbers. Last month they completely ignored a large box sent via registered airmail. They also skip the USPS Priority Airmail tracking numbers often enough. But if the item is EMS or registered, it should appear on that SAPO website and the foreign website should also have information from South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by noxibox View Post
    Both USPS international post options have some degree of tracking. The basic one will only show you whether it has left the US, but that can at least give you some idea. The other is basically a slower courier service. I always get a tracking number regardless of which option I use. The seller should be able to give it to you.

In regard to things getting lost I'd worry just as much about USPS messing things up.

I've yet to encounter issues with the locally assigned tracking number. Either customs or the post office can give you the local number if you give them the international tracking number. Customs are usually the quicker option.
    You mean EMS. Express Mail Service is a type of international courier service forced on the local post offices by the global body which governs mail exchange among postal services. It's a cheap, (optionally) insured and fast system. It is traceable in the outgoing country and inbound country, and sadly not traceable while between these countries. It takes 5 business days or less. Right now there are delays however and it looks like it will take 7-8 business days because of truck strikes and / or post office strikes.

For some reason EMS is not available from Korea to South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
    Everything flys from the States. USPS did away with surface shipping years ago. Sometime before the Rinderpest, i think.
    Everything does fly but packages from the States sometimes take 2 months. Japan Post still uses surface mail however 2-3 months, a combo of surface and air which is called SAL - which goes at about 4-6weeks, airmail and EMS. Packages from Malaysia by air also take long about 1-2 months.

The other thing is drop shipping. Some drop shippers use Swiss Mail and Deutsche Post (not DHL). I even once had a US drop shipper use a South African re-mailer, the item arrived in SA and was reposted and sent using a local shipping label. Not sure who was paying the customs charges, but it wasn't me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast